Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DiMaggio over Williams?

tycobb420

A couple of things I have found interesting. In 1968, baseball folks voted DiMaggio "the greatest living ballplayer" over Ted Williams, Willie Mays, and Stan Musial. Around 1950, they named Ty Cobb the greatest player of all time over Babe Ruth.

Perhaps somethings are unquantifiable?

PS: Not saying they were correct....just asking a more general question...

Baseball folks just like any other folks they have opinions.

A couple of things I have found interesting. In 1968, baseball folks voted DiMaggio "the greatest living ballplayer" over Ted Williams, Willie Mays, and Stan Musial. Around 1950, they named Ty Cobb the greatest player of all time over Babe Ruth.

Perhaps somethings are unquantifiable?

I remember that, I thought it had to do with his all around greatness, hitting, hitting w/power, fielding throwing, and baserunning. DiMaggio was consideered one of those rare all-around great players, whereas his contemporaries, Ted and Stan were know more as great hitters.
back then, Mays was at the end of his great career, and the writers, those who had the soapbox for their opinions were more older school generation and more enamored with Joe D.
DiMaggio, had an incredible ego, and whenever back at Yankee Stadium, specifically told the voice to name him as the "greatest living Yankee" when called out for those old timers games.
Maybe another reason was that DiMaggio had played on so many Yankee's World Series winners, whereas Ted had only 1946, Musial with 2/3. Twice Williams wins the Triple Crown and each time lost the MVP to a yankee, Joe and joe gordon.

Losing the MVP had to hurt his overall standing vis-a-vie (sp) DiMaggio. I do think all the championships also set him apart. I have read reports of Williams not paying attention in the outfield as he was working on his swing and misplaying balls. DiMaggio did not do that.

One time, Billy Crystal failed to call him "the greatest living ballplayer" and DiMag punched him in the stomach.

Back