Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

1975 World Series

tycobb420

I bought the 1975 World Series DVDs and thought I'd share somethings that stand out or differ from today's game.

I have only watched Game 1 (Red Sox won 6-0). So I will post as I get a chance to watch them and if something sticks out.

Game 1.
1. It was a day game
2. They had a promo for the first episode of Saturday Night Live
3. Men's jackets were appalling in 1975
4. Hitters swung at the first or second pitch a lot more
5. Don Gullett got hit around a bit in the 6th, but Sparky let him go out for the 7th. Probably would have been pulled today.
6. Curt Gowdy said the best pitchers in baseball (at the time) were Seaver, Hunter, Palmer, and Gullett.
7. The Raiders and Chiefs have one of professional football's greatest rivalries.
8. No pitch counts.

Last edited:
Game 2.
1. They changed announcers from Game 1. Curt Gowdy and Dick Stockton in Game 1. Joe Gariggola (sp), Ned something, and it sounded like Pat O'Brien in Game 2.
2. Both games ran about 2 1/2 hours.
3. Ken Stabler had a muscle pull.
4. Johnny Oates was a champion bubble gum blower.
5. Henry Kissinger was at the game.
6. They kept promoting the KC-Raiders game. I checked KC won 42-10.
7. Cecil Cooper had some mean sideburns.
8. Bernie Carbo traveled with a large stuffed gorilla. He even took it to a restaurant, ordered it breakfast, and asked for separate checks. His teammates threatened to burn it, so he stopped taking it on road trips or to Fenway.

Game 3:
1. Major controversy in the 10th. Armbrister clearly interfered with Fisk, but the umps blew the call. Three batters later and the Reds win the game.
2. What the hell was Henry Aaron wearing?
3. They switched announcers again.
4. Sparky had a reliever throwing in the 1st inning with no trouble in sight. (Gary Nolan had to leave with a neck issue after 4).
5. The two teams hit 6 HR (a record)
6. Concepcion and Geronimo hit back-to-back HR. It was the first time that a pair of National Leaguers went back-to-back in the World Series.
7. Bench and Fisk homered in the game. That was fun to see. (Memories...)

Game 4:
1. Simon and Garfunkel are reuniting on SNL.
2. Rawly Eastwick led the NL in saves with 22 in 1975 and won 2 games in the WS
3. They gave shout-outs to and/or name dropped Joe DiMaggio, Satchel Paige, Joe Cronin, and Bill Dickey.
4. Game 7 pre-empted a NFL doubleheader on NBC.

You can skip Game 6. An all-around forgettable contest.

I always liked the day games during the playoffs. They need to go back there more often. A nice 1 O'clock game.

Game 5. This was the only clunker. Reds won 6-2 and Gullett was unhittable until the 9th.
1. Gullett must have had some buzz around him. The announcers lauded over him. It was Strausburg-esque.
2. Apparently Red Sox fans thought the announcers were pro-Reds.
3. One of baseball's great names, Dick Pole, got into the game.
4. Tony Perez ended an 0-for-15 with 2 home runs.

Ok, for real. Game 6:
1. Luis Tiant gave up 6 runs after not allowing any runs at Fenway in a gajillion innings.
2. The inset showing Tiant's father while the pitcher threw was creepy.
3. People were smoking in the stands.
4. Whatever happened to bullpen carts?
5. NFL games started at 1pm, 2pm, and 4pm.
6. Joe Namath was looking for revenge.
7. OJ Simpson has something special planned for the Dolphins.
8. Bernie Carbo set a bunch of pinch hitting records.
9. Carbo hit a dramatic 3-run PH HR while stoned.
10. George Foster threw Denny Doyle out at the plate in the 9th.
11. Dwight Evans started a 9-3-6 double play off of Joe Morgan.
12. Fisk did something.
13. The cameraman that followed Fisk instead of the ball changed sports TV forever...and did it because a gigantic rat was sizing him up for dinner. The camerman died a couple weeks ago. RIP.

Game 7:

1. They compared Don Gullett to Frank Tanana
2. They compared Pete Rose to Pepper Martin
3. Tony Perez utterly punished a blooper pitch in the 6th. Looked like he knew it was coming.
4. Joe Morgan had a bit of a 'tude.
5. Rose and Yaz led the series in hits....and had over 7000 between them
6. There was a guy in the Reds lockeroom that had the ultimate 70s hair. It was downright scary...waited to see Columbo come and arrest him.

Back