Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Django Unchained

I read that Spike Lee got all bent out of shape over it.

I read that Spike Lee got all bent out of shape over it.

his criticism was that Tarantino is using slavery here for shock value. which, I guess maybe. I wouldn't go so far as to say no white man can make a movie dealing with slavery, and while I don't think Tarantino is racist or completely disrespectful to african american culture, he does come pretty close to the line. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it's like when he (or his characters) drop(s) n-bombs, he's doing it more for shock value than anything else.

anyways, I read a synopsis of the plot of this one. regardless of the racial issues, seems a bit too gratuitously violent for me. I liked Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown. I couldn't take much of Kill Bill. :ugh:

I think my Tarantino days are pretty much over. He hasn't done anything that wowed me since Pulp Fiction anyways, and that was almost 20 years ago now. Jesus... has it been that long?

I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds.

I didn't give it a chance. anyways, there too many other great movies out there to watch. every time I think of cancelling my netflix subscription, my queue fills up.

actually, Jackie Brown was okay. I didn't like it that much. it's probably one of the more "measured" Tarantino flicks.

I find myself wishing Samuel Jackson would just shut up in that one and in Pulp Fiction. guy gets on my nerves

actually, Jackie Brown was okay. I didn't like it that much. it's probably one of the more "measured" Tarantino flicks.

I find myself wishing Samuel Jackson would just shut up in that one and in Pulp Fiction. guy gets on my nerves

Whenever I see Jackie Brown I get me a hankering to go down to Pico boulevard and eat some Roscoe's chicken and waffles.

That's some good eatin.'

those two things go together? did we discuss that before?

It's a southern thing; and obviously "soul food" has its roots in Southern cuisine.

When the Samuel Jackson character convinces that guy to get into the trunk, the reward is going to be Roscoes chicken and waffles.

Obviously, that ended up not being the case.

I'd have to think Spike Lee isn't a very big fan of Dennis Hopper's closing speech in that one.

I'm not 100% sure that Tarantino and Spike Lee don't actually have some kind of acquaintanceship.

My understanding is they both go way back with some of those Sopranos guys.

I'm not 100% sure that Tarantino and Spike Lee don't actually have some kind of acquaintanceship.

My understanding is they both go way back with some of those Sopranos guys.

This is obviously a dumbass statement; obviously, as big-time directors, they have some kind of acquaintanceship.

I meant, I think they have some kind of acquaintanceship that is associated with some of their mutual friend.

his criticism was that Tarantino is using slavery here for shock value. which, I guess maybe. I wouldn't go so far as to say no white man can make a movie dealing with slavery, and while I don't think Tarantino is racist or completely disrespectful to african american culture, he does come pretty close to the line. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it's like when he (or his characters) drop(s) n-bombs, he's doing it more for shock value than anything else.

anyways, I read a synopsis of the plot of this one. regardless of the racial issues, seems a bit too gratuitously violent for me. I liked Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown. I couldn't take much of Kill Bill. :ugh:

I think my Tarantino days are pretty much over. He hasn't done anything that wowed me since Pulp Fiction anyways, and that was almost 20 years ago now. Jesus... has it been that long?

My understanding is it was not the slavery, but how the slaves in the film were viciously beaten and tortured.

But how is it any different from any other graphic violence in a film, I think Spike Lee was just looking for a controversial angle to get his name mentioned more again, because he's been pretty far off the radar a while.

My understanding is it was not the slavery, but how the slaves in the film were viciously beaten and tortured.

But how is it any different from any other graphic violence in a film, I think Spike Lee was just looking for a controversial angle to get his name mentioned more again, because he's been pretty far off the radar a while.

here's what he said:
In a recent interview with Vibe, Lee said of the film, “I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. The only thing I can say is, it’s disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film.”

The weekend before Django opened on Christmas Day, Lee bluntly reiterated his displeasure with the film on Twitter: “American Slavery was not a Sergio Leone Spaghetti western. It was a Holocaust. My ancestors are slaves. Stolen from Africa. I will honor them.”
I take this to mean he has a problem with Tarantino using slavery as a backdrop for a fictional film. In the first quote, he probably shouldn't just said "Since I'm not going to see it, I can't comment" if he was trying to take the high road here.

now the Italian American group "ONE VOICE" is attacking Spike Lee over his comments...

Thinking about further after reading his filmography, Spike Lee has made a career about using racial strife in general as a backdrop for most of his movies, so maybe he's not one to talk. Also, when shoe companies hired him to direct ads to market their shoes to kids, he defended taking the money by saying other people should focus on the conditions that cause inner city kids to want to buy shoes they can't afford... which would presumably be... him?

ok... Spike Lee is a clown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back