Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Olympics

mabre321

I know its not for another couple of years but it looks like it isnt a sure thing the NHL will participate in the next Winter Olympics as it was not written in the CBA as it was during the last one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21225/nhl-union-still-have-questions-on-olympics

I think that would be a huge mistake however, the last Olympics brought a lot of new fans to the game and the level of play was amazing. (that's why i think the NHL should be contracted to bring a higher level of play to the games) The idea of a hockey world cup is interesting but would not get nearly the coverage that the Olympics gets i think that would be just another mistake in the long line of mistakes made by my favorite man Gary Bettman.

I agree that not allowing players to take part in the Olympics (without losing salary at least) is a bad move. The NHL needs all the press it can get.

I also completely agree about contraction. No league wants to do it, but it seems painfully obvious. Only about a quarter of the league really generates significant revenue, and at least another quarter is a constant drain on league finances. The NHL simply doesn't have the market share to keep all those struggling teams afloat.

Best time was when college kids were playing. Nothing will ever beat USA-Russia in '80. Who wants to watch players from the Wings playing against their teammates? Its just not the same.

Best time was when college kids were playing. Nothing will ever beat USA-Russia in '80. Who wants to watch players from the Wings playing against their teammates? Its just not the same.

I disagree in that quality games are always more entertaining. USA-Russia in '80 was the best not because it was the best played game of all time, but because of all the social, political, and cultural layers that were part of it. Play that same game today with the same players, and the only story is how the underdogs won - it's not the Miracle on Ice that lasts forever.

The Olympics nowadays is like watching a tournament of all-star teams. Except, unlike the actual all-star game, the outcome matters and the players are trying their hardest. That's hockey at its best. The best players working together against equally elite opponents. Watching the Olympics without pros is like watching college hockey. Some of those games can be pretty good, but their is a painful awareness of how much slower and unskilled the majority of the players are. There are already World Junior Championships, and nobody watches them.

That's what I meant, the whole experience. It was big bad Russia, who had pro players. I'm not comparing it to an All Star game when the players don't care, I'm comparing it to an NHL game, where we see it every day for 6 months. This is no different.

And I'm not saying have college players now, it'd be just awful.

The Olympics nowadays is like watching a tournament of all-star teams. Except, unlike the actual all-star game, the outcome matters and the players are trying their hardest. That's hockey at its best. The best players working together against equally elite opponents. Watching the Olympics without pros is like watching college hockey. Some of those games can be pretty good, but their is a painful awareness of how much slower and unskilled the majority of the players are. There are already World Junior Championships, and nobody watches them.

This is essentially the same reason i think the NHL should contract. I agree that money plays a part in it but also i think the quality of play would increase greatly. If you take away 2-3 teams you would add that much more elite talent to every team making the game much more exciting.

I also enjoy watching college hockey as well but its a completely different game. There is an obvious lower level of skill and the game just isnt as fast. I think it would take away from the Olympics to know there are much better players out there that just arnt playing, it would take away some of the meaning to me at least.

Last edited:
Back