Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pistons vs Bucks 1-11-13 and some thoughts.

jrange378

Even at their lowly 13-23, the Pistons are as of today, the 6th best (And rising) rebounding team in the NBA, led by the Pistons best player Andre Drummond. The pistons also are 10th in opponent scoring per game. IMO I think the Pistons already have some nice depth on the bench, who are in many ways better than the starters, and proven too :
http://www.pistonpowered.com/2013/01/pistons-reserves-beat-pistons-starters/

We just need some better parts in the top half. Knight is young but playing like a legit bum right now. I think we could try to trade Prince for a pick, and play Daye more, a floor spacing wing who can shoot, and then draft Trey burke, a true PG who has every tool our team needs.

And a preview

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview?id=400278257

That 10th in opponent scoring stat is misleading. They're only 10th because they play at near the slowest pace in the league. When you adjust by possession, the Pistons are 19th in the league in defense - which much more closely matches what it looks like to watch them defend. Drummond has certainly been our best player thus far though. Knight I agree hasn't been playing well and doesn't seem to be progressing. Tay is old and overrated. Even Monroe has been much less efficient than normal thanks to a lack of spacing and too much offensive responsibility.

I don't think Trey Burke is an ideal fit for this team. He's tiny and not an elite athlete, so he's probably going to be a poor defender. He certainly seems like a leader and is a good passer, but his outside shooting numbers don't wow (college line is closer) and it is difficult to judge his individual skills surrounded by a very strong team. He could be CP3-lite, or he could just be another Will Bynum.

Last edited:
That 10th in opponent scoring stat is misleading. They're only 10th because they play at near the slowest pace in the league. When you adjust by possession, the Pistons are 19th in the league in defense - which much more closely matches what it looks like to watch them defend. Drummond has certainly been our best player thus far though. Knight I agree hasn't been playing well and doesn't seem to be progressing. Tay is old and overrated. Even Monroe has been much less efficient than normal thanks to a lack of spacing and too much offensive responsibility.

I don't think Trey Burke is an ideal fit for this team. He's tiny and not an elite athlete, so he's probably going to be a poor defender. He certainly seems like a leader and is a good passer, but his outside shooting numbers don't wow (college line is closer) and it is difficult to judge his individual skills surrounded by a very strong team. He could be CP3-lite, or he could just be another Will Bynum.

Thats true and good point, we definitely aren't a running team. But I definitely think Burke has all the tools to be a great PG. Theres less room for error when your shorter because longer players can take advantage of the smallest things, but Burke doesn't make errors or turn the ball over. Hes a great floor general with good speed and driving ability, he can shoot just not 3's. I'm not saying hes a must pick or will be the best on the board when we come up, but hes viable this far from the draft.

Thats true and good point, we definitely aren't a running team. But I definitely think Burke has all the tools to be a great PG. Theres less room for error when your shorter because longer players can take advantage of the smallest things, but Burke doesn't make errors or turn the ball over. Hes a great floor general with good speed and driving ability, he can shoot just not 3's. I'm not saying hes a must pick or will be the best on the board when we come up, but hes viable this far from the draft.

Viable, yes. He's certainly great in college, I just worry about the transition given his size and less than stellar athleticism (by NBA standards). I have no doubt he can hit shots, but the looks he gets now are waaay more open than the looks he'll get in the NBA, against longer and faster defenders. I'd like to see how he fairs against Aaron Craft and other good defensive teams before making much of a judgement. To this point, the Wolverines have only played one honestly good team (NC State), and it was an offensive team that doesn't defend well. But given how good the team and Big 10 are, we'll have a very good read on Burke by draft time.

Back