Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Earl Weaver dies at age 82

RIP Earl Weaver, although I despised you and the Orioles teams during the early 70s, but loved watching the game in Sept of '71, IIRC, when Lolich had Ked ~7 O's batters, and Earl had the umpires stop the game briefly to check Mickey for objects or substances that he might be using to doctor the baseballs. They of course couldn't find anything, and Mickey finished the game with 9 Ks in a 6-1 win for the Tigers. Mickey won a career-high 25 games that season, and also Ked a career-high 308 batters.

Probably was the night game @ Orioles linked below:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197109140.shtml

When I just heard this reported on CNN, the person who reported that said, or quoted somebody, "where ever he is he's probably already fighting with someone."

Last edited:
RIP. Had some of the greatest run-ins with umpires of all time. Oh and he won a lot of games too! He also moved Ripken to SS.

Joe McCarthy, Walter Alston, Earl Weaver, Casey Stengel, Bobby Cox, Tony LaRussa, John McGraw, Connie Mack, Sparky, and Joe Torre.

Top 10 managers of all time

Weaver was ejected from games at least 91 times during the regular season (98, according to one source) and several more times during post-season play. He was ejected from both ends of a doubleheader three times. He was ejected before a game started twice (both times by Ron Luciano). Luciano alone ejected him from all four games of a minor-league series and eight games in the majors.

He also received four multiple-game suspensions. He was well known for the humor that often accompanied his ejections. During one particular tirade with an umpire, Weaver headed to the dugout screaming, "I'm going to check the rule-book on that" to which the umpire replied, "Here, use mine." Weaver shot back, "That's no good - I can't read Braille." He once told an umpire that he could appear on What's My Line? wearing his mask, chest protector and ball/strike indicator and still nobody would guess he was an umpire.

Weaver had a penchant for kicking dirt on umpires, and for turning his cap backwards whenever he sparred with umpires in order to get as close to them as possible without actually touching them. His rivalry with Luciano was legendary, to the point where the AL rearranged umpiring schedules for an entire year so that Luciano would not work Orioles games. In the third inning of Luciano's first game in Baltimore a year later, he ejected Weaver—who then publicly questioned Luciano's "integrity" and received a three-game suspension. Still, Weaver had respect for Luciano, calling him "one of the few umpires that people have paid their way into the park to see."

Marty Springstead was one of Weaver's least favorite umpires. On September 15, 1977, in Toronto, Weaver asked umpire Springstead to have a tarpaulin covering the Toronto Blue Jays bullpen area removed; the tarp was weighed down by bricks and Weaver argued that his left fielder could be injured if he ran into the bricks while chasing a foul ball. When the umpire refused to order the Blue Jays to move the tarp, Weaver pulled the Orioles off the field, forcing the umpire to declare a forfeit: the only forfeit in Orioles history. On another infamous occasion, in Cleveland, Springstead watched as Weaver tore up the rule book and tossed it into the air.

One of Weaver's most infamous tirades came on September 17, 1980 in a game against the Detroit Tigers. First base umpire Bill Haller, who was wearing a microphone for a documentary on the daily life of an MLB umpire, called a balk on Oriole pitcher Mike Flanagan. Weaver charged out of the dugout and began screaming at Haller, who was already angry at Weaver for publicly questioning his integrity by suggesting he be prohibited from working Tigers games in 1972 because his brother was the Tigers' backup catcher at the time. After Weaver was ejected, he launched into a profanity-filled argument with Haller that was duly recorded.Weaver's contempt for umpires was often mutual. One night in 1973 Weaver threw his cap to the ground and began a vehement argument with Luciano. Luciano's crew-mate Don Denkinger walked over to Weaver's cap, stepped on it with the sharp cleats of both shoes, and slowly twisted back and forth.

Back