Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Phillies sign delmon young

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Last edited:
I thought a team like Houston might want him but a NL team? He's going to have to hit big to make up for that defense.

Well last year they signed Jim Thome, who plays absolutely no defense at all.

Most likely Delmon would be a PH only.

I was beginning to wonder if Delmon, Inge, and Valverde would go unsigned in 2013.

Phillies sign Delmon Young, team announces. 1 year, $750,000.

http://www.freep.com/article/201301...hia-phillies?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers
Delmon Young signs with Phillies.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/01/philadelphia_phillies_sign_for.html
Philadelphia Phillies sign former Tigers outfielder Delmon Young to one-year, $750,000 deal.
The 27-year-old can reportedly earn up to $3.5 million if he reaches all performance incentives based on plate appearances and roster bonuses, but the deal is still significantly cheaper than the $6.75 million he earned with the Tigers last season.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...s-sign-ex-Tiger-Delmon-Young-one-year-750-000
Philles sign ex-Tiger Delmon Young for one year, $750,000.

Agent has told teams that Delmon has lost a lot of weight, in addition to getting ankle fixed. Phils definitely getting a motivated player.
from Danny Knobler

Last edited:
"Holy pay-cut Batman!"

Guess that ALCS MVP is not much of a bargaining chip.

I can't see him being in the OF. I bet he plays against AL teams, and since its spread out - it works. And as a PH.

I saw on twitter that he really would be an outfielder, but that could be wrong. I wonder how low his war will be this year.

This just makes no sense. I am just glad he isnt a Tiger anymore. He played great in the ALCS but most of the year he really didnt do much.

Good luck Delmon, when he's not swinging at anything bounced up to the plate he can hit.

I'd rather have Young at $750K than BB at $2.4M

I'd rather have BB at 2.4m and getting fewer at bats than getting Delmon at 750k playing in the OF and getting 400+ PA.

They make it sound like Delmon will be in left. And its too early so say how much BB plays but I expect less.

My favorite part on the ESPN article: "Young made $6.75 million last year, but off-field issues cost him a lucrative, multiyear deal." Yeah, that's the reason :lmao:

Young's contract is with incentives. Who knows, he might make the same as BB when all is said and done.

I'd rather have BB at 2.4m and getting fewer at bats than getting Delmon at 750k playing in the OF and getting 400+ PA.

They make it sound like Delmon will be in left. And its too early so say how much BB plays but I expect less.

phillies are planning on playing delmon in rightfield.

last I read/posted re: BB, the Tigers are trying to move him asap.

stay tuned.....

Young's contract is with incentives. Who knows, he might make the same as BB when all is said and done.

http://www.freep.com/article/201301...llies-change?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers
Ex-Tigers DH Delmon Young looking to 'make a change' with Phillies.

According to MLB.com, Young, the top pick in the 2003 draft, can earn an additional $3.5 million in incentives in his contract.

?I?ve done some things where there is a reason for it,? said the 27-year-old Young, who is suddenly the odds-on favorite to win the Phils? starting rightfield job. ?If I went out there and was an All-Star six years in a row and was healthy and a model citizen, that wouldn?t have happened. That?s where I?m looking to make a change.?
Young was suspended by Major League Baseball for seven days and just recently completed community service in New York.

?I didn?t like cleaning up dog poop,? Young said inside the Phillies clubhouse. ?It was a dog park and people don?t clean up after their dogs sometimes and we?re left to. A lot of times, I just stared at it, because it was too soupy. But that put some perspective on things, too.?

If he?s healthy ? he did have microfracture surgery on his right ankle in November ? Young would at least give the Phillies a proven bat in the corner outfield, something they didn?t have before Tuesday. If Young is slated to play right every day.
Young is still rehabbing from surgery, and Amaro allowed that there was at least the chance he could start the season on the disabled list if he?s not fully recovered.

phillies are planning on playing delmon in rightfield.

last I read/posted re: BB, the Tigers are trying to move him asap.

stay tuned.....

Okay, thanks. Less balls in right, but expect 1st to 3rd all the time based on just how deep he plays. I can't even fathom what we might get for BB.

Back