Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartan basketball

johnny2x2x

We don't suck. Who woulda thunk? Team is starting to play better, shows flashes, but hasn't really put it together, still, they've shown a ton of guts in the clutch.

Last edited:
They are playing better than I thought. I think if they keep it close they can grind out games when it matters. Huge game coming up next.

Tonight's game was huge, just because we'll have a tough go on Sunday. Lose tonight and 5-3 is looming. Now we have 3 road wins which is huge. A 5-4 road record just might share a Big Ten title.

Team shows flashes and is very talented, hasn't played all that well for a 17-3 team. Typical Izzo team, they simply improve more over the season than almost all the other teams. This team has a ton of room to get better. By year's end they could be very good.

Last edited:
You still have yet to beat a quality team on the road. I would not call Wiscy a quality road win. They have played like crap in every game but the 2nd half of the Indiana game.

You still have yet to beat a quality team on the road. I would not call Wiscy a quality road win. They have played like crap in every game but the 2nd half of the Indiana game.

It is always tough to beat Wisconsin on the road. Look at their home record under Bo Ryan. 166-15 (.917) I would say that is a tough place to win at.

Bandwagon fans...

I think they just have higher standards.

they don't get excited about their basketball team until they're in first place.

plus, the typical spartan has more important things to worry about, bigger fish to fry...

We are about where I thought we would be. I figured losing Draymond would hurt, and the team would take some time to gel, but this is a team loaded with talent. Hell, dont we have 4 HS all americans on this team, and most were ranked in the top 100 out of HS, so yeah, they should be pretty good.

Now, how good are we ? We are a team capable of beating any top team, especially on a neutral court, and we also are a team that struggles against mediocre teams, that we should dominate.

Izzo works his magic in March, and many of his past teams have peaked around tourney time. We have the talent to go far, and part of me thinks we can do some damage this year. The other part of me sees us losing to some nobody in the first round. We win too many close games and let our opponent stick around. This wont be good come tourney time.

We keep winning tough tough games. Ugly 1st half, nice 2nd half.

Appling appeared to separate his shoulder and gave us a scare, but he came back out and they said he's fine. Minny just gives us fits inside, bad match ups for us.

Good win for MSU. Appling going down did give us a scare. This team cant lose any more contributors if they are going to be competitive in March.

We need Trice back, he brings a lot to this team and takes some pressure off Appling. It was good to see Valentine running the point at times tonight, if he can improve his handles some, that's where his future is IMO. Been kind of a struggle this season, but I don't think people quite get how talented this team is. Lots of injuries and we've been inconsistent, but at times this team shows flashes of its potential and that potential is as high as it gets.

True. I think they are very talented but just not much depth if anyone else goes down. I think at times Payne and Dawson are a step above but are inconsistent. Appoint is key at the end of games and needs to stay away from bad fouls. And Harris has been a beast at times.

I think it's one of Izzo's 3 or 4 most talented teams, but they are young and with youth you have inconsitency.

The B1G is alot about match ups, how does your team match up with the other team. Minny is a bad match up for us because they are so physical on the glass. But they cannot guard the 3 to save thier lives. We made 9 3s and I bet 7 of them there wasn;t a guy within 5 feet of the shooter. Better shooting teams are going to give Minny trouble.

Solid road win tonight. Foul trouble limited the minuted of Harris, Appling, and Payne, good to see they'll be rested for Tuesday.

Trice will reportedly be back vs Michigan, but it's good to see that Denzel Valentine is capable of bringing the ball up and running the offense. PG is where his future is.

This team is playing better, but they are just scratching the surface. It's a very talented group of players.

Last edited:
We don't suck...in fact we don't suck so much that we might be the best team in the Country. Just one game, but I've been seeing glimpses of this type of team the last month. To blow out a very good team where we shot well enough, but still not 50% is pretty telling.

Izzo wont let it go to this teams head, they still need to bring this effort every game and they still have a lot to improve on.

Great dominating win, they looked great. Appling did great against Burke. Nix played awesome and so did Harris. I hope Dawson isn't out long because this team needs to be healthy to make a run.

This team will go as far in the Tourney as Appling takes them, period. It's hard to believe he was our best player through 20 games this year.

This team will go as far in the Tourney as Appling takes them, period. It's hard to believe he was our best player through 20 games this year.

Said the same thing yesterday.

Unfortunately, Sappling has sucked in every significant game this calendar year.

Hope Izzo realizes it and lets Trice take over.

Trice > Sappling.

Back