Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gustav Nyquist

mabre321

I know it is the usual wing way to keep players in the minors a few years longer than most other teams but i just cant but think that given the state the team is in now it wouldn't be more helpful to have him up in the NHL. This isn't a typical wings team that is heavily laden with veterans, its a young team with a lot of young talent that hasn't had many years in the NHL.

To me he played very well against Dallas looked fast and i thought he looked very good on the line with Filppula and Franzen, there were times they looked like the 2008 wings with great puck movement and passing.

Now i understand there isn't room for him on the roster but i have a simple solution to this, Get rid of the that piece of Shit Samuelsson i was so happy when the wings got rid of Hudler, only to nearly break my computer when we re-singed the original Hudler. I never under stood the value of those two players and cant under stand why Holland is in love with them. Maybe we can trade Samuelsson to another team for the best beer vender they have, I have a feeling we may need it this year.

I agree. Cleary played his best game last night and still looked like a dog. I love the guy, but his time has come. When they put the stat up last night that our third and fourth lines have a combined one point, I was flabbergasted. Getting Helmer back would be nice, but until then, how about a youth injection?

i'm guessing here, but holland might be working the phones for a trade or two before the deadline and then if those don't pan out (seems like all the teams are currently boycotting trades with the wings, but that is just the conspiracy nut in me) then he will look harder at bringing up the youth. probably wants them to get the additional playing minutes in minors before bringing them up. personally i think being in NHL is better for development as the game is different at that level and it is better to be around it, analyzing it, learning from the vets than to be playing more time in minors...but what do i know.

i'm guessing here, but holland might be working the phones for a trade or two before the deadline and then if those don't pan out (seems like all the teams are currently boycotting trades with the wings, but that is just the conspiracy nut in me) then he will look harder at bringing up the youth. probably wants them to get the additional playing minutes in minors before bringing them up. personally i think being in NHL is better for development as the game is different at that level and it is better to be around it, analyzing it, learning from the vets than to be playing more time in minors...but what do i know.

I dont think its as much of teams boycotting trades with the Wings as it is what do the wings have to give. No one will want Franzen and his albatross of a contract and the rest of the roster is either too old or too valuable to the team to trade away. The Wings can ill afford to trade away the young good prospects now because lets face it, this team is not a cup contender and trading away young players for vets will only make the problem the wings have now worse.

I also wish that Nyquist would get a shot to crack the lineup. I thought he was a sure lock for the team coming into this season, but then they went and signed Brunner and he essentially bumped out Nyquist.

Nyquist is a top 6 forward, meaning he needs to play with people who can get him the puck/finish once he gets them the puck. The bottom six forwards arent capable of doing that, and honestly, thats not what Babcock even asks them to do. The 3rd and 4th lines throw their bodies around, play sound defensively, and chip in with goals when possible.

That being said, I agree that Cleary has been atrocious all season, and I dont see any possible way how Nyquist could do any worse than he has been playing this year. I personally dont have a huge problem with Samelson, as he is a proven commodity and like it or not will score 20+ goals every year. (granted, this year hasnt gone well for him - as he hasnt be able to stay healthy)

I personally would like to see a 3rd line of Tatar, Nyquist, Mursak(Jarnkrok next year). They would prob be one of the smallest lines on the Wings, but I would be hard pressed to find another 3rd line with as much skill as those three guys possess.

I personally would like to see a 3rd line of Tatar, Nyquist, Mursak(Jarnkrok next year). They would prob be one of the smallest lines on the Wings, but I would be hard pressed to find another 3rd line with as much skill as those three guys possess.

I would not mind that at all. Tatar isnt that small and he plays a sneaky physical game from what i have seen from him in Grand Rapids. I think that line would give them the scoring depth they could really use. That would Hurt the wings on the PK though becuse playing that line would take the primary wings penalty killers off the ice.

And i know Samuelsson isn't as bad as i think he is, i just have always thought he was a little lazy and way too slow. I just felt like he was never a good fit for the wings and always took a spot for a player who would bring something that was missing from the team. Also im not happy unless i can irrationally hate something so he is my choice.

Sammy has great value on the PP, and since he havent had someone strong playing the point on the PP since he was hurt our PP has been the worst in the league.

Guy should be up with the big club permanently. Him and Tatar really. All he does is score down below. He's not a superstar but he sure is fast and can put the puck in the net with some regularity. No reason for him to continue to dwell in the minors.

Back