Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Get on the ball, Mr. Holland.

cmlfactor

The dude has fallen asleep in the last 12 months. There's been plenty of serviceable players, some more than adequate, available the past calender year and he's whiffed on all of them. Right now, with guys dropping like flies, and retiring by the cart-load, we need players. Sure you can fill in few holes with AHL players, but eventually it's like trying to plug the Hoover Dam with bubble gum. Even in the last week, he's missed out on Redden and Scott Gomez appears ready to go by the wayside, as well. If the playoff appearance streak ends this year...it is on him.

FA market was kind of lousy after the top of the heap. I blame him more so for actually giving up something of value for Kyle Quincey.

na, holland gets some blame for this. we have all seen it coming, he needed to get something done 2 years ago but has not been able to. players don't want to come to the Wings anymore.

They are who we thought they were.

I feel like most people weren't paying attention for the last 8-12 months to this team and then all of the sudden are shocked at the results. They've been losing pieces faster than they've acquired them. Several national rankings/polls had the Red Wings missing the playoffs before they'd even played a game.

Am I missing something? Its only been 3 games.

Its not so much the result for this season, if you look at the team there is a lack of talent and major pieces have been leaving with no one coming in to replace them. For the last 3 years the wings have had room under the cap to sign players but have stood pat and done nothing. Even this year they are 8 million under the cap. (http://www.capgeek.com/redwings/?) If you have paid attention you saw this coming, losing Rafaslski was a surprise but Stuart and Lidstrom were not. That's 3 top rated D-men and no one has replaced them. Smith and Lashof look to be good but not top line material yet. White is a good second line D-man but there isn't a top shut down defender on the wings roster.

Now Holland does have to take some of the blame for this because of the lack of action on his part but its not all of his fault there are a few major reasons for this as well.

1. the salary cap, If you look at the way the NHL is now structured it is more like the NFL in terms of cap than the MLB like it used to be. No longer do the wings have the advantage of simply out bidding other teams to amass super stars like they have in the past. Offering ludacris contracts to free agents will get you killed in the long term. (this is going to happen to the wild in a few years those contracts they signed with Sutter and Parise will end up killing them as they have to move the supporting cast to continue to afford those players.) This is what happens in the NFL there are cycles of being good and bad due to having massive contracts and not being able to keep the supporting players around then you have to rebuild through the draft to get cheap talent.

2. The wings have had bad draft position for the last 20 years because they have either traded their picks or have finished towards the top of the NHL. Now good teams find a way to find useful players in the Draft and the wings haven't been able to find the gems they used to late in the draft due to better scouting in Europe by most of the NHL teams.

3. Contract lengths , now this is Holland and the wings fault, they were the first to use the loophole of 10-12 year contracts to have minimal cap hits. Now this seemed like a good idea at first. (until we signed Franzen to that deal.) but that has the effect on the whole league that the major star players may only come up for free agency once maybe twice in their whole careers. Meaning if you miss out on those free agents your only option is finding talent from the draft.

Now that being said i don't buy the Wings as a place players don't want to go to. The organization treats players very well. They will always have the best as far as coaching and are willing to spend money on the team in other areas that don't count against the cap. (the new stadium will help) as Mark Cuban has done with his NBA team in Dallas. The wings will be fine long term but these last few years have not been Hollands best and a few more like it i do believe he will be shown the door. Detroit has a loyal and passionate fan base but one that expects results and no one will be spared their job based on the past if there is a continued downward trend with the team.

I haven't followed Hockey in about 10 seasons, outside a game here and there. So I guess I haven't payed attention. That's why I was asking.

I haven't followed Hockey in about 10 seasons, outside a game here and there. So I guess I haven't payed attention. That's why I was asking.

I didn't meant that to come across as an attack. was just trying to explain it to people who have lives and don't follow hockey as close as i do. I'm just mildly irritated at the overall state of the wings and needed to rant. I really should have broken up that into two posts, the top one to answer your question and the bottom part was just my opinion on the thread over all.

Last edited:
I didn't meant that to come across as an attack. was just trying to explain it to people who have lives and don't follow hockey as close as i do. I'm just mildly irritated at the overall state of the wings and needed to rant. I really should have broken up that into two posts, the top one to answer your question and the bottom part was just my opinion on the thread over all.

I never took offense, and understood why you said what you did. Its all good. Though I still like Hockey unlike the NBA which I can't stand anymore.

FA market was kind of lousy after the top of the heap. I blame him more so for actually giving up something of value for Kyle Quincey.

This.

I know its frustrating to see the Wings have all of this cap $$ but not spend it on anyone, but its not for lack of trying..Holland went all in and tried his hardest to land both Suter and Parise..he was damn close to pulling it off too but they decided to go play for their home town - you cant blame Holland for that.

After he missed on signing those two guys, I think him and Babcock decided to stay pat and spend this season grooming the young guys and really get a good feel for the state of the farm system. The cost of FA's last summer was absurd, teams were giving out ridiculous contracts to average/above average players. There wasnt anybody outside of Suter/Parise who were even close to deserving the contract they recieved...This is the reason the NHL had a lockout..it just sucks that smart GM's like Holland dont get a reward for being responsible with their money.

Take a look at who is going to be a Free Agent in the next two seasons. There are some very talented players who are going to be open for grabs.

2013 FA's:
Perry
Getzlaf
Semin
Iginla
Roy
Whitney
Gagne
Penner
Hainsey
Morrow

2014 FA's
Malkin
Heatley
Gaborik
Vanek
Thorton
Marleau
Bouwemester
Phanuef
Sedin Twins
Kessel
Boyle
Stansy
Bergeron
Pavelski
Letang
Brown

Obviously not all of those guys will hit the open market, but enough of them will where the Wings will have a great chance to land one or two or even three of those guys.

Also, the Salary cap next season drops almost $6 million to $64 million which means a lot of teams are going to have to make some tough decisions and maybe part ways with an 'over priced' player. The NHL has provided two amnesty buyouts (similar to what they did for the NBA) to help teams get rid of these contracts without any cap hit. That means even more players will be essentially Free Agents looking for work.

So, basically what Im saying is I agree with you all that it is frustrating watching the Red Wings faulter and have Holland stand pat, but I think that he has a plan in place to substanially upgrade this team within the next one-two years.

Last edited:
Back