Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Star Trek

zyxt9

been looking forward to the new star trek for some time, but not sure it will be as good as the first. just seems to be the way star trek always rolls, hit then miss then hit then miss. hopefully this breaks the streak tho and they finally get two hits in a row.

been looking forward to the new star trek for some time, but not sure it will be as good as the first. just seems to be the way star trek always rolls, hit then miss then hit then miss. hopefully this breaks the streak tho and they finally get two hits in a row.

That only applies to the even-numbered Shatner movies. I think the streak was broken with the next generation crew doing however many bad movies they did in a row.

As good as the first? You mean the one in '79: Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

As good as the first? You mean the one in '79: Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

I think the '79 movie could be turned into a pretty decent new movie. Writers didn't know what to do with V'ger in '79. Now, audiences are familiar with the idea of our own creations going Skynet on us. Maybe give V'ger some proto-borg suggestive architecture...but don't actually mention the Borg or clear that up. Don't know how you'd end it or explain V'ger's motivation. Going home to figure out what happened to the people that created, oblivious to the damage it's doing has a bit of a ST IV feel, but I don't like it.

I think the '79 movie could be turned into a pretty decent new movie. Writers didn't know what to do with V'ger in '79. Now, audiences are familiar with the idea of our own creations going Skynet on us. Maybe give V'ger some proto-borg suggestive architecture...but don't actually mention the Borg or clear that up. Don't know how you'd end it or explain V'ger's motivation. Going home to figure out what happened to the people that created, oblivious to the damage it's doing has a bit of a ST IV feel, but I don't like it.

well... if there were any that were in need of a remake, it's that. I don't think I've ever even sat through the whole thing.

Star Trek II was a lot better because they brought in better writers; the screenplay was by a guy who wasn't even familiar with the franchise at first, IIRC.

Gene Roddenberry was good at some things; plot wasn't one of them, I guess.

I'd agree with Mitch that they seemed to go on/off/on/off in terms of quality. I never saw all of III though, so I can't really comment on that. I always thought III was at least decent; not as much of a drop off.

V wasn't very good (Shatner directed it). Given how little time they had (as the cast was getting old) wish they would've used that opportunity to make a really good film about the core characters and races... a war between the Klingons and Romulans or something.

That only applies to the even-numbered Shatner movies. I think the streak was broken with the next generation crew doing however many bad movies they did in a row.

I agree with the Next Generation. Didn't like those, the ones I actually watched anyway..

well... if there were any that were in need of a remake, it's that. I don't think I've ever even sat through the whole thing.

Star Trek II was a lot better because they brought in better writers; the screenplay was by a guy who wasn't even familiar with the franchise at first, IIRC.

Gene Roddenberry was good at some things; plot wasn't one of them, I guess.

I'd agree with Mitch that they seemed to go on/off/on/off in terms of quality. I never saw all of III though, so I can't really comment on that. I always thought III was at least decent; not as much of a drop off.

V wasn't very good (Shatner directed it). Given how little time they had (as the cast was getting old) wish they would've used that opportunity to make a really good film about the core characters and races... a war between the Klingons and Romulans or something.

4 was the whales, great. 6 was Kirk in the prison camp, with political conspiracy...also really good. 3 was Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon and Spock's resurrection/putting his mind back in his brain, not terrible, but not as good Khan before it or the whales after it. 5 was the cult people that had found "God" in a specific place...I don't even remember how it ended. I think they might have just shot the thing with a torpedo.

I agree with the Next Generation. Didn't like those, the ones I actually watched anyway..

Yeah, I'm actually not sure how many their were or whether or not I saw them all. I bet I did, but I'm not sure. The last episodes of the next generation where Q had Picard jumping through time was better than any next generation movie (even though I hated Q as a plot device in general.)

I saw two of the next generation movies. one of them was so forgettable, I don't even remember the plot. I think that was the one where they had the disc separate and crash into a planet.

I thought the one where they went back in time to post apocalyptic earth to help the guy make the first warp drive was good though. it could've been better in some ways (I don't think they had the money to really make some cool late 21st century earth sets), but it was still entertaining.

II and IV were my favorites too. Not sure which one I liked better. I guess II was a tighter plot. IV was fun to watch though.

Khan played by Fantasy Island and Corinthian leather guy, that was just too good. I also like IV. The one where Spock's brother, I think it was his brother - I did not like.

I saw two of the next generation movies. one of them was so forgettable, I don't even remember the plot. I think that was the one where they had the disc separate and crash into a planet.

I thought the one where they went back in time to post apocalyptic earth to help the guy make the first warp drive was good though. it could've been better in some ways (I don't think they had the money to really make some cool late 21st century earth sets), but it was still entertaining.

Oh...hang on, I think that was an ok movie. Borg and Steppenwolf magic carpet ride and time travel and first contact with any extra-terrestrials (turns out to be Vulcans.) I forgot about that. I can't remember much of it, but the part I remember were good.

I know I saw the disc crash (visually cool), but I can't remember the rest of it. Was that the one with both Picard and Kirk in some magic dreamland with horses? That was crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_movies

There were 4 next generation movies
So if we say the one with Kirk and Picard was bad and First Contact was good, then the odds-bad, evens-good, continued into the next generation movies, but I think Insurrection and Nemesis were 2 bad movies in a row (calling number 3 bad might be a stretch-it might be equal to First Contact). And then the latest one was good.

2.1 Star Trek: The Motion Picture
2.2 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2.3 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
2.4 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
2.5 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
2.6 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
2.7 Star Trek: Generations
2.8 Star Trek: First Contact
2.9 Star Trek: Insurrection
2.10 Star Trek: Nemesis
2.11 Star Trek
2.12 Star Trek Into Darkness

The original Star Trek movies that were good had Nicholas Meyer involved. He also did the TV movie 'The Day After'.

Nick was the reason Khan became the plotline for Star Trek II, because Paramount hired him, and he was unfamiliar with the series, so he locked himself in his office and watched them, and the one he kept coming back to was 'Space Seed' where Khan Noonien Sing and crew was in hibernation aboard the Botany Bay.

He was supposed to be a screenwriter/consultant on III, but dropped out because he felt the ressurection of Spock was the wrong direction.

Leonard Nimoy convinced him to help with the script on IV, especially because Meyer was familiar with filming in the San Fransisco Bay area.

He passed on V because Shatner went a little overboard, little known fact Nimoy and Kelly (Spock, McCoy) almost refused to be in the movie because the original script (Shatners) had them mutinying against Kirk.

When VI was announced as the last one, they talked Meyer into coming back, and he wrote a pretty good script mirroring at the time the decline of Iron Curtain style Eastern-bloc governments.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I) had plot potential but was too long, and visually offensive. Also it focused too much on characters that were originally supposed to be in a TV series called Star Trek II (Decker, the bald girl, and the vulcan who died in the transporter).

JJ Abrams version with the different timeline was okay, and the cast was good. I just hope this new one focuses on it's own timeline, and not what happened in the 1st timeline. (rumor of the scene between Spock and Kirk holding hands against each other separated by reactor glass already shown in trailers)

Last edited:
Good to know makes sense. 2 and 4 and 6 were good and 5 sucked.

JJ Abrams version with the different timeline was okay, and the cast was good. I just hope this new one focuses on it's own timeline, and not what happened in the 1st timeline. (rumor of the scene between Spock and Kirk holding hands against each other separated by reactor glass already shown in trailers)

I saw that trailer. I think it's meant to imply this is about Khan again.

That kind of spoils it, doesn't it? Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

That kind of spoils it, doesn't it? Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Well, when the one is the director, his needs are going to be met. It's a spoiler, but such a vague spoiler, I'm not upset. It's just enough to speculate on. It builds on the existing premise that even though this reboot is a completely new timeline, some things are going to work out just like they did before. It's not like they actually named the character in the trailer, it's just really suggestive to put that specific scene in there. Does that mean the bad guy is Khan, does that mean Spock dies...not sure, but it's not just a leak, it's the director telling people ahead of time that reboot #2 has something in common with the original #2. I don't think they'll kill Spock again, maybe he sacrifices himself, but this time McCoy is able to save him...I don't know.

hate to see other actors play Spock, Bones, Kirk, Scotty, etc. etc.

they need to either move to a different theme at the same time, or a different time. Like 100 years after The Next Generation, or something.

get known actors that liked the original to do parts. How sweet would a movie about Starfleet Academy starring Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks be? good acting, decent budget, good script... winner.

Back