Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Next Xbox requires internet connection and prevents used games

I wonder if the PS4 will follow. I doubt it but you never know.

I got an idea, instead of banning used games how about make one that has so much replay value no one wants to sell it, or how about a pricing structure so every piece of shit game isn't 60 bucks. All this banning will do is keep me from playing the game cause I ain't paying full price for crap.

I'm been waiting for games myself, waiting until the price falls.

As far as replay value, as long as games keep coming out we'll keep buying them. But I think of the Uncharted games. Between the three I've played about 15 times so far, more "Honor Among Thieves" because I think that's the best one. Those are the games I buy mostly, something I can put a lot of hours in, Skyrim and games that have great replay value, Uncharted, Mass Effect and MLB the Show etc.

But if I can't play those with a PS4, I'll keep my PS3.

bullshit. betcha games go up in price too, like to $70 or $75. definitely not getting a new gen console (not that i was really planning to anyways, but still.)

But that's what I'm talking about if the game was worth it you wouldn't be waiting, therefore the game is overpriced to begin with. A game that you can put a lot of hours into is worth the money who's going to pay 60 bucks for a game that has about 10-15 hours? If they want in on the used market then let people sell their digi certs at a whole sale market and price your games competitively for what the market is willing to pay. Could you imagine ford pulling this shit, making it so you couldn't sell a car used and forcing you to only buy new cars.

Its not a new concept, right? They all weed out the old games eventually. Depending on the game of course. Some PS1 and PS2 games can be played on the PS3 and some can't. I don't think it would bother me much if PS1 and PS2 games were dropped as long as PS3 games could still be played on the new version. All speculative on the PS new system since they haven't said one way or the other...

But its a problem they created by keeping the disc makers in business, games should be downloadable and then the digi certs should be sold discounted keeping all the money in the consoles market place. Maybe they will wake up with new versions and try something like amazon.

Yeah...this isn't a good thing, but I sort of think their goal is to cut resellers out of the loop more than to squeeze gamers for more money. They can boost prices all they want, but they won't get more money than the population is willing to pay. I think the cheap game+nickle&dime to death DLC is the way it's going to be anyway.

No kidding. I don't know how many games I bought at release only to find new DLC the next day that they charge me for. I mean, come on.

say goodbye to game rentals. Sucks cuz my Bro and I share games a lot, we will each pay for a game and then swap when we finish..I know a lot of people who do the same thing with friends. I can understand needing to purchase a new pass to play online, but this is taking it a bit far IMO

Waiting to see what Sony does today, but if true, say good bye to game stop and gamefly. I rent mostly from redbox so that's gone too, hmmm the more I think about it maybe I don't need a console.

Apparently out in November: PS4

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-th...d-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

Snippet:

"Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus."

^^this would suck as I never had to pay for PS3 online stuff.

Apparently out in November: PS4

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-th...d-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

Snippet:

"Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus."

^^this would suck as I never had to pay for PS3 online stuff.

It's like drug addiction.

The dealers (in this case the video game industry) gives you a free/very cheap option to get you hooked, than later bleeds you dry once you can't live without it.

Look at Television, used to be 100% free, now most people can't survive without cable/directv/dish.

Some tidbits:

- new touch-sensing DualShock controller as well as a new camera that works in conjunction with the controller.

- PlayStation 4 will feature an X86 CPU and a whopping 8 gigabytes GDDR5 memory of unified system memory.

- Streaming to instantly try games before they buy them.

- "share" button on the new PS4 controller players will be able to live broadcast their gameplay to their PlayStation Network friends. He said friends will not only be able to watch your game in action, but can post comments to your screen as you play (if you let them). You'll also be able to allow friends to take over your game to assist you in a difficult area or interact with your game in other helpful ways.

Last edited:
From what I understand the ps4 will not be blocking used games and the "Durango" blocking them is purely speculation at this point. If Microsoft blocked used games and Nintendo and Sony did not it would be suicide for Microsoft. Also, the ps4 does not require online access. My guess is it will be like ea games where an online pass is required. I'm a manager for gamestop so we are watching this situation VERY closely.

From what I understand the ps4 will not be blocking used games and the "Durango" blocking them is purely speculation at this point. If Microsoft blocked used games and Nintendo and Sony did not it would be suicide for Microsoft. Also, the ps4 does not require online access. My guess is it will be like ea games where an online pass is required. I'm a manager for gamestop so we are watching this situation VERY closely.

That's good to know..

Back