Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fighting Question

mabre321

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/detroit_red_wings_gameday_are.html

Are hockey fights that aren't spontaneous good for the game?

Now its going to be a real surprise where i come out on this considering i post most of the wings fights all over these threads but yes they are. I know its now in fashion to be more aware of concussions, and they are a serious problem i have had more than my fair share of them from football, boxing, and general stupidity but i still think these "staged fights" are good for the game.

A fight might be staged as they call it but they are never for no reason at all, there could be a number of reasons, to set the tone for the game early, to police something that happened in an earlier game, an old score to settle personally between two players, for a player to show a team he is willing to to whatever it takes to stay in the NHL or simply to get the crowd into the game and hopefully get some momentum going you teams way.

You never hear a crowd at a game get quiet during a fight, in fact just the opposite fights rival most goals in terms of crowd noise and excitement. Players are aware of the problems concussions can cause, but its not like fights are the only cause of concussions in games, in fact open ice hits to the head are far more dangerous simply because of the speed involved in open ice skating.

Its hard to get a full good punch in skates because most power from punches comes from the core and the drive from the legs, its why you are able to see hockey players take 6 undefended punches without getting KTFO most of the time. So fighting in hockey is not really as dangerous as it seems. That being said its not completely without risk but the times where people get seriously injured are the exception rather than the rule.

I still think these fights and any fights are good for the game simply because it brings eyeballs to the game. People might watch because they see a fight them notice hey this game is pretty fun to watch.

Sorry for the novel but this is something im passionate about. What do the rest of you think?

Last edited:
Fighting is an integral part of the game and whether the fights are staged or not has no barring to me. The warriors who are willing to subject themselves to a hockey fight know full well what they are getting themselves into. They are not puppets dancing for their owner, but true teammates, willing to make the sacrifices others cannot or will not, all for the sake of the team.

TooToo has everyone in Detroits attention now and I'm sure other teams have begun to notice that 22 is not afraid to drop them every night. Has he been doing it to protect the team, set a trend, build his own rep, or all, I don't care, but I like it. That dude is tough as nails and whether his fights are staged or not, the crowd roars, and who couldn't use more of that.

i'd rather the fights not take place immediately after the opening face off. to me it is far more enjoyable to get the game going, have some additional hits that rile the crowd up and wanting it more. i want the drama and suspense to be so high that when the guys finally drop the gloves there is likely going to be an all out brawl, hopefully with everyone on both sides dropping gloves and the goalies having a showdown.

having the staged fights lessens that level of intensity and often leaves fans with an unsatisfied feeling when the fight is not a good one, which i think is more often the case with fights that are staged as one or both of the guys seem to just kinda go through the motions. i want to feel the loathing and hatred pulsing through each and every punch.

Back