Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cabrera projected for 101 RBIs

hellifino

guess it's almost just important who bats ahead of him as to, who bats behind him.

Peralta and Avila should have been hitting 2-3 most of the year, but now that Raburn has found his stroke I'm not against having him hit 2nd (just not PLAYING 2nd lol)

We could have used any of Peralta, Avila, Boesch or VMart at #3 and been light years ahead. We really should have moved Miggy up there to be honest though.

kingofdetroit57 said:
We could have used any of Peralta, Avila, Boesch or VMart at #3 and been light years ahead. We really should have moved Miggy up there to be honest though.

I thought Cabrera should bat 3rd from the beginning with V-Mart hitting 4th, it only makes sense to have your 3 and 4 hitters getting more ABs.

I take it you guys aren't fans of Don Kelly batting 3rd.

I hope Miguel gets to 30 homers and 100 RBI's this season... It is a shame how few runners have been on base for him...

kingofdetroit57 said:
Our top three have sucked all year, so it's no surprise.

Not sure about that. BB was smoking in the 3 hole for mst of the year and DY has done well. Others not so much. Probably has to do with his lower HR power this season.

hellifino said:
kingofdetroit57 said:

I thought Cabrera should bat 3rd from the beginning with V-Mart hitting 4th, it only makes sense to have your 3 and 4 hitters getting more ABs.

This has been discussed, and discussed, ever argued.

Your best power hitter should bat 4th. period.

Vmart needs to bat 5th, because he is the only consistent protection Miggy has, you can put anyone else 2nd and 3rd if you want Cabrera to get more RBI's but putting him 3rd wont help his RBI totals, it will hurt them.

IMO, Ajax needs to start bunting for base hits to raise his OBP, lots of speedy guys get IF base hits, but Ajax either K's or hits the ball sharply at someone. Some slow rollers or a few push bunts and he would get on 6 out of 10 times probably.

MI_Thumb said:
hellifino said:

Vmart needs to bat 5th, because he is the only consistent protection Miggy has, you can put anyone else 2nd and 3rd if you want Cabrera to get more RBI's but putting him 3rd wont help his RBI totals, it will hurt them.

IMO, Ajax needs to start bunting for base hits to raise his OBP, lots of speedy guys get IF base hits, but Ajax either K's or hits the ball sharply at someone. Some slow rollers or a few push bunts and he would get on 6 out of 10 times probably.
Really? How come Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Aaron, Bonds, and Pujols regularly hit third? You put your best all around hitter in the three hole. Cabrera is that guy for us.

I like Cabby at 3. Always have. We just don't have a true power hitter. But I wouldn't mind Cabby 3 and Mart 4. With Avila 5 and DY 6. Put Peralta at 2 and BB when healthy at 3.

This still has alot to do with the 'overall' lack of players on base for him, not just the high number of times he has had to lead off the second inning, but also during the game in later innings.
Even with a couple or a few times a player, as Boesch batting in front of him was on base, when for the majority of the games played your top 3 batters in the batting order are averaging or near .200ish/.300ish./300ish the cleanup hitter isn't getting as many opportunities with runners on base and risp.
I don't know if I am correct in 'this' judgement/thought, but I think I am seeing a different Cabrera batting, in so much that he is not going for driving the ball as much with trying to hit a homerun, but more of just trying to get a simple hit, single or double, just to extend the inning for Martinez, Avila, Peralta.
With a player of Cabrera's magnitude, it will be a travesty if he can't get to the 30 - 100 plateau, and part of the reason will be on Leyland and his refusal for much of the year to keep slumping players in the top 3 spots.
jmo.

kingofdetroit57 said:
MI_Thumb said:

Really? How come Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Aaron, Bonds, and Pujols regularly hit third? You put your best all around hitter in the three hole. Cabrera is that guy for us.

Because the 4th spot in the lineup is more important than the 3rd.

They call it cleanup for a reason.

And it's not like he would get that many more PA's batting 1 spot higher.

on the year, our 4,5,6, and 8th hitters have a higher B.A. than our 3rd hitter.
" " our 4,5,6,7, and 8th hitters all have better OBP than our 3rd hitter.
" " our 4,5,6, and 8th hitters all have better SLG % than our 3rd hitter.

something is wrong, when your 3rd hitter is putting up less numbers than those, with the exception in the power categories than your 4th hitter. whether or not Cabrera bats 3rd, or it's Peralta,Avila,Martinez or Boesch, you still need someone hitting ahead of the 4th hitter so he can hit them in, in which is why Cabrera is not driving the numbers in, that he use to.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/splits/_/name/det/detroit-tigers

hellifino said:
on the year, our 4,5,6, and 8th hitters have a higher B.A. than our 3rd hitter.
" " our 4,5,6,7, and 8th hitters all have better OBP than our 3rd hitter.
" " our 4,5,6, and 8th hitters all have better SLG % than our 3rd hitter.

something is wrong, when your 3rd hitter is putting up less numbers than those, with the exception in the power categories than your 4th hitter. whether or not Cabrera bats 3rd, or it's Peralta,Avila,Martinez or Boesch, you still need someone hitting ahead of the 4th hitter so he can hit them in, in which is why Cabrera is not driving the numbers in, that he use to.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/splits/_/name/det/detroit-tigers

I agree with this.

Someone with a higher .OBP should be in the top 3, just not Cabrera.

BB numbers are pretty good at 3. Leyland just decides to fk it up. We have a 1 and 2 that get on base very little.

MI_Thumb said:
kingofdetroit57 said:

Because the 4th spot in the lineup is more important than the 3rd.

They call it cleanup for a reason.

And it's not like he would get that many more PA's batting 1 spot higher.
Your response makes no sense. If 4th is the most important, how come Ruth, Williams, Mantle, Aaron, Bonds, and Pujols regularly hit third?

Average plate appearances for each batting spot by league in 2009:

NL:

1st - 763
2nd - 746
3rd - 728
4th - 711
5th - 696
6th - 681
7th - 662
8th - 643
9th - 622

AL:

1st - 762
2nd - 743
3rd - 725
4th - 709
5th - 693
6th - 675
7th - 657
8th - 638
9th - 618

Move him to lead off. Can't hurt right, an extra 50+ at bats, lol.

Looking at that I would love getting aj 150 at bats less in a season by hitting him 9th.

Back