Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New MSU OC

dubbsco

Read the thread on the Red Cedar. It's hilarious.

In his only year as an OC for OSU, he finished 107th in offense.

Apparently, he is an awful recruiter. OSU fans were calling for his head for a long time.

Dantonio is trying to get the band back together. Just won't be the same without JimBob, though

I think they replaced Roushar with a slightly older Roushar.

Related question, who makes the playcalls at MSU, the OC or Dantonio? Is it possible that Bollman is solid at some other part of being an OC? Tressel kept him around for a long time.

I can see with just an image search he brings a skill that Dantonio currently lacks; the guy is capable of smiling.

I could have sworn Roushar was totally responsible for the playcalling. OSU fans were absolutely ecstatic when he left town.

Hmm, I'll have to check, but I think his offenses went 9-2 against Michigan. I also think they played in 8 BCS games in 11 years and 3 National Title games. Sounds like a terrible hire.

I could have sworn Roushar was totally responsible for the playcalling. OSU fans were absolutely ecstatic when he left town.

Yeah, but it just doesn't seem like enough to go off of. I see a lot of opinions based on other people's reactions. He spent a decade as OC of a very tough ohio and then had one terrible year where he was the playcaller, but there were other reasons that contributed to that year being bad for them. I have a difficult time discounting the decade of success just based on 1 bad year the crowd reaction after that 1 bad year. I'm not saying he's good, just that the idea that he sucks seems to be built largely on a mob mentality.

Related question, who makes the playcalls at MSU, the OC or Dantonio? Is it possible that Bollman is solid at some other part of being an OC? Tressel kept him around for a long time.

I can see with just an image search he brings a skill that Dantonio currently lacks; the guy is capable of smiling.

I'm fairly certain that Dantonio doesn't do a lot of the offensive playcalling. I thought Dantonio was defensively oriented.

Hmm, I'll have to check, but I think his offenses went 9-2 against Michigan. I also think they played in 8 BCS games in 11 years and 3 National Title games. Sounds like a terrible hire.

Yep, with Cheater Tressell as the head coach with top recruiting classes every year, stellar defenses every year, and the best players that tatts and cash could buy. Is MSU going to go that route?

Johnny, it was well-known among everyone who watches college football that Tressel was the play calling mastermind for OSU.

It's the same way Michigan fans (including myself, I admit) tried to defend the hire of Greg Robinson. Hey, NFL pedigree, won a SB, etc... Turned out to be AWFUL.

OSU fans are the ones saying he is a lazy recruiter, and not a good coach. IF he was so damn good, he wouldn't be working at Boston College and Purdue.

It is what it is. He's going to give you the same stuff Roushar did. I expected a good hire, who would mix things up. This is the good-ol boys club.

Yeah, but it just doesn't seem like enough to go off of. I see a lot of opinions based on other people's reactions. He spent a decade as OC of a very tough ohio and then had one terrible year where he was the playcaller, but there were other reasons that contributed to that year being bad for them. I have a difficult time discounting the decade of success just based on 1 bad year the crowd reaction after that 1 bad year. I'm not saying he's good, just that the idea that he sucks seems to be built largely on a mob mentality.

Apparently, they are saying that Tressell did the majority of the offensive playcalling while he was there and Bollman was a lot like Jerry Montgomery. Then Bollman took over and had the 107th ranked offense.

Plus Tressell was dirty from the moment he signed on at OSU from Clarett, TSmith, TPryor, etc etc etc and recruited top 5 classes every year...

Johnny, it was well-known among everyone who watches college football that Tressel was the play calling mastermind for OSU.

It's the same way Michigan fans (including myself, I admit) tried to defend the hire of Greg Robinson. Hey, NFL pedigree, won a SB, etc... Turned out to be AWFUL.

OSU fans are the ones saying he is a lazy recruiter, and not a good coach. IF he was so damn good, he wouldn't be working at Boston College and Purdue.

It is what it is. He's going to give you the same stuff Roushar did. I expected a good hire, who would mix things up. This is the good-ol boys club.

I think Johnny X-SML is the only MSU fan happy with this hire

You cannot say "his offenses." JT was that team. Called the offense.

Sometimes, you just have to take the homer glasses off, and say this is a very, very uninspired, boring hire. It is what it is. MSU fans, on boards, and on the radio, wanted someone who would bring a modicum of creativity. Well, say bye bye to that.

And you know its a bad hire when you have to go up and down to defend the guy. If he was a good hire, that would be unnecessary. It's almost like you have to convince yourself it's the right move.

Yep, with Cheater Tressell as the head coach with top recruiting classes every year, stellar defenses every year, and the best players that tatts and cash could buy. Is MSU going to go that route?

that's the thing. every guy who comes from there should have an asterisk next to his name. Their achievements were based in a large part on the flow of money to players...

if they're going somewhere that doesn't have either the money, or the flexible ethics that permit them to cheat to the extent Tressel did... they're PROBABLY not going to be as successful. So MSU fans might as well ignore his prior achievements here. At best, he's an empty slate.

and if Tressel was really that great of a coach... he'd have a job in the NFL right now, where everyone pays their players.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue really is MD is loyal to a fault with all his old cronies. He reminds of RR in many ways because no matter how bad his buddies are at their jobs they will always have jobs. I like the hire but because I think he will suck and I want Sparty to be god awful again.

I put this out on Twitter as a legit question. Has Dantonio taken Sparty as far as he can and if the really want to take that next step as most Sparty fans believe they will do they need to make a change.

The issue most Sparty fans have is that Dantonio outside of his fake punts and FG's has no imagination on offense. He is stuck in the stoneage. It really reminds me of the complaints we had with Carr

Dantonio has been a solid coach for MSU. You can't deny that. he's 51-28 there, which is one of the better %'s in MSU's history.

in the end, MD's coaching ability is going to keep MSU solid under his tenure. If Bollman actually screws things up bad enough, you can bet MD will fire him quickly. He's not going to keep him around. and at least it probably wasn't a bad move as far as coaching staff chemistry goes... they obviously got along at ohio, or Bollman wouldn't have been considered.

But at the same time, I doubt Bollman is going to do much to improve things there. Looks like Bollman was actually OC for Tressel's entire tenure, plus the 6-6 shit-show with Fickell as HC in 2011. If the guy was really legit, or anything more than a "Yes Man" he would've moved on to bigger and better things sometime during the 00's, especially after the Troy Smith Heisman season in '06. ...but I think most GM's or AD's out there knew what was really going on behind the scenes in Columbus during those years. There's a reason Tressel never won Big Ten COY, and it's because everyone knew he was dirty and by association... so where his long time stalwarts on the coaching staff. they don't give out awards for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio* fans to a person all hate Bollman and couldn't get his ass out of Columbus fast enough. State is about ready to go back to being pretty bad and adopting "Tressel ball" is perfect.

A lot of 20-17 defensive thrillers about to take place in lansing.

The transitive property of fan reasoning, alive and well!

John Cooper beat Michigan pretty good in the Rose Bowl while at Arizona State and was hired by Ohio* because of it ....I'll have to check, but I think his teams went pretty bad against Michigan.

Still... I don't put much stock in what ohio fans say. They're not very bright.

I think the fact that Bollman was ohio OC from '01-'11 and no one else came calling pretty much speaks for itself.

Back