Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings Prospects Thread

My personal top 5 Prospects list is:

1) Brendan Smith - Immensely skilled Dman who isnt afraid to get physical. Look for him to fight for a roster spot this year.

2) Teemu Pulkkinen - Probably the most talented prospect in the organization - is a scoring machine with a wicked slap shot.

3) Thomas Tatar - Very smart forward who is a gifted finisher. what he lacks in size he makes up with his hockey sense.

4) Jan Mursak - Think Helm with a scorers touch. The guy is a speed demon who has shown some ability to put the puck in the net. Like Smith look for him to fight for a roster spot this season.

5) Calle Jarnkrok - A young swede who has outstanding puck skills and vision but is rail thin. His main priority is to beef up and improve his skating. Very similar prospect to Zetterberg.

When do you think we'll see these guys on the team? Tatar and Mursak this year?

JimRice said:
When do you think we'll see these guys on the team? Tatar and Mursak this year?

Before free agency started I thought that Smith had the best chance to make the club as be is our best prospect and Defense was an issue last season. However Holland spent a good chunk of money shoring up the D in FA so I think Smith is going to be Spending the majority of his time in Grand Rapids this year.

Of the Forward prospects, I think Mursak has by far the best shot of making the team. He has produced consistently at the AHL level and has great speed which is a big plus.

Tatar has a shot too but I think he is a year away from really competing for a roster spot. He needs to work on his consistency first - he went on scoring streaks and then did nothing for a month last year. That won't fly with Babcock

Looks Like Mursak will be given as good a shot as anybody to make the squad this year.

------------------------------------------

Jan Mursak arrived in Detroit on Friday, ready to get a head start on what could be a big season for him.

After five years as a prospect, Mursak is expected to be a regular for the Red Wings. He should contribute on the fourth line, helping out with energetic short shifts and responsible play in his own zone.

Mursak had been skating in his hometown of Maribor, Slovenia, but this week he has joined the group of Wings participating in informal practices at City Sports Center.

"It was a long summer," Mursak said. "I've been skating at home for two weeks, and I decided to be back and skate here with the other guys and work hard. I'm excited for training camp to start.

"I'm really excited about the season. I hope I'll make the first team, I hope I'll be in Detroit all season, and I hope I'll get a lot of ice time. I'm not expecting a lot, but there will be injuries and hopefully I can jump in and play good."

Mursak, 23, was drafted 182nd overall in 2006. He played junior hockey in Saginaw (and is staying there for now, with his girlfriend, while commuting to Detroit). He spent the past three seasons with the Wings' American Hockey League affiliate in Grand Rapids, where last season he had 13 goals and 35 points in 54 games.

He also made an impression during the 19 games he spent with the Wings last season, showcasing his tenacity starting with his debut Dec. 27, the day after Danny Cleary suffered a broken ankle. Mursak scored his lone NHL goal two weeks later when the Wings were at Colorado, something he said helped him settle down and ultimately get the most out of his experience with the Wings.

"I learn a lot," he said. "From game to game I think I was getting better and more comfortable. In the beginning it was a little tough, I was a little nervous, but then when I relaxed, especially after I score that goal, I think I felt really comfortable on the ice."

Coach Mike Babcock talked last season about how Mursak would be a part of the 2011-12 team. He'll take over some of the responsibilities performed by veteran Kris Draper, who retired last month. Mursak faces competition as the Wings currently have 14 forwards, but given what he showed last season, Mursak figures to be a regular.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110831/SP....yssey=obinsite

Gustav Nyquist is off to a great start in GR. The young Swedish forward has 2G and 2A in 3 games as a Rookie in the AHL.

He was not expected to make the Wings this season but he was so impressive that he ended up being the last player sent down to the AHL. This kid had dominated at every level he has played in - was a Hobe Baker award finalist the previous two season in College and is off to a hot start this year at GR.

In a couple of years people are going to be talking about how the Wings stole another prospect from the draft w/ Nyquist (4th rounder)

This kid has top 6 forward potential all over him

Does anyone know how far along Smith is in burning off his suspension? I only know of one game where he was able to be called up just to sit.

Looking at that list of the Wings Top 25 prospects makes it clear that we wont be getting any help in the size department anytime soon. Only a handful of prospects over 200 lbs and none over 210. There are some good players there that could be solid NHl players, but no real Stars as I see it.

johnny2x2x said:
Looking at that list of the Wings Top 25 prospects makes it clear that we wont be getting any help in the size department anytime soon. Only a handful of prospects over 200 lbs and none over 210. There are some good players there that could be solid NHl players, but no real Stars as I see it.

True enough.

But, if Lidstrom and Stuart leave after this year, I read where the Wings will have 26 million a year to spend. They could get some size via free agency. Hopefully, some of these little guys can play.

I think the Wings have a few prospects who could be stand alone first line players..

Pulkkinen, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Smith, Nyquist all have top Line potential.

All of these players have atleast one elite level skill set, whether it be skating, passing, shooting, hockey sense, size, vision, hands, work ethic, etc. Some even have a combination of those skills.

Obviously they all wont be top line players, as alot goes into the development of a prospect, but for a prospect to have a legit chance to become a top three player on a team he must really excel at something (skill related)...the rest is almost entirely based off of work ethic.

Most people didnt think Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Franzen would turn out to be studs, but they have. I think some of these young kids have the same kind of upside...its just up to them to tap into all of that potential.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
Does anyone know how far along Smith is in burning off his suspension? I only know of one game where he was able to be called up just to sit.

They have been calling him up periodically to serve his suspension. He has already served 4 games, he has one game left to serve and then he will be able to play. Although right now the Wings are focusing on getting him plenty of minutes in the AHL...he should see some NHL action before the new year though.

tbone413 said:
everyoneneedsasmil said:

They have been calling him up periodically to serve his suspension. He has already served 4 games, he has one game left to serve and then he will be able to play. Although right now the Wings are focusing on getting him plenty of minutes in the AHL...he should see some NHL action before the new year though.

smith to play tonight in San Jose.

Back