Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jacob Turner

jdbaker1

I am excited to see what he can do but a little apprehensive. The Royals aren't exactly a scary lineup so maybe he will be solid and the Tiger bats will finally get on track. I hope he holds runners on a little better today. Can't afford for every single or BB to turn into a triple. He played with fire a little bit last time. Hopefully, JT will get his 1st big league W today. Go Tigers.

I'm sure the Tigers instructed the minor leage manager to have him work on keeping runners on base.

The Royals have a pretty decent offense. Certainly, a high average at least. It should be a good test for Turner.

A little over 20 years old, he's probably happy to be pitching in the majors already.

He's showed us some good and showed us some bad. He looks like he has command of his pitches, but is still raw. I'd like to see him pitch at least half of next year in Toledo, but despite today's poor showing, he looks pretty close to major league ready.

He threw five different pitches with regularity and wasn't shaking of Avila at all. They can say what they want, but they really were looking to see what he's got for next year while giving the rest of the rotation an extra day of rest.

johnny2x2x said:
He's showed us some good and showed us some bad. He looks like he has command of his pitches, but is still raw. I'd like to see him pitch at least half of next year in Toledo, but despite today's poor showing, he looks pretty close to major league ready.

I'd like to see him go a full season at AAA.

Let him learn better how to speed up his delivery, and to hold runners.

Make sure all his secondary pitches are somewhat mastered, and don't bring him up with just a single pitch like they did with Porcello.

He pitched decent made a couple of mistakes , like someone above said he sure needs to learn how to hold runners though.

Cokes debacle cost him 2 runs also....

Not sure what everyone was watching but he got shelled.. 4.1 IP and 6 earned runs is not good.. He is terrible at holding runners on base and gave Alex no shot at throw the runners out... Am I ready to
sell on the kid.... No but in hindsight maybe he was not the best choice as a spot stater.. And correct me if i am not wrong but if Verlander pitches today and we win we pick up a half a game on the Sox and a full game on the tribe and still have Fister going this weekend.. You cannot split a four games series at home with a team over 20 games under .5oo... Typical Leyland trying to set up his playoff rotation before he clinches yet again. To bad because we wasted a great day from Magglio..
If Verlander does not win Friday we are in big trouble...

Pushing his start back had no effect whatsoever on Verlanders remaining starts.

I'd rather him face the Sox twice and Indians once than facing the Royals, Sox, and Indians.

Giving Verlander an extra days rest was absolutely the right decision.

Ok then I agree but why not use Below... He is a lefty and he has started before.. It seems like the Tigers are trying to catch lightning in a bottle and forcing Turner to me.. They had other options..

I thought he looked pretty good. He got chased the last inning but it wasn't as bad as the results indicated. The leadoff double would have been an out by just about any 1B not named Miguel Cabrera. The run scoring hit would've been a routine pop out if Delmon Young didn't have a lawn chair camped out by the warning track. So even though the end result didn't look good overall I didn't think he looked bad. He didn't walk anybody and had a lot of weak contact. It wasn't his fault that his fielders sucked.

6 earned runs cannot all be blamed on bad defense in 4.1 innings pitched.. We are trying to win a division not see how well our kid pitcher throws verses a 25 gamed under .500 team.. I am just bummed... The Tigers cannot afford to blow games they score 8 runs in..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]6 earned runs cannot all be blamed on bad defense in 4.1 innings pitched.. We are trying to win a division not see how well our kid pitcher throws verses a 25 gamed under .500 team.. I am just bummed... The Tigers cannot afford to blow games they score 8 runs in..

Well the 2 run HR was all on him, but let's look at the other 4 that were charged to him. The inning started off innocently with a weak groudball to 1st.If it was any 1B but Cabrera that would be 1 out, instead it's a leadoff double. So instead of having nobody on and 1 out like it should be Turner has to pitch in stress. From there he gives up a weak liner to center which scores a run. After that he gives up what would be a routine pop up for what would be the 2nd out, instead it drops in for a single scoring a run. So 2 runs have scored thus far with no outs, even though it should be 2 outs and no runs. From there Perry comes in and gives up those guys on base which are charged to Turner for 2 more runs. So an inning that started innocently with a weak ground ball to 1st ended up turning disasterous because of crappy defense and later because of a crappy reliever. Nothing Turner could do about that. Now Turner wasn't great by no means but he wasn't nearly as bad as the score indicated. He gave up 1 hard hit ball the entire game(the HR) and that was it.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Not sure what everyone was watching but he got shelled.. 4.1 IP and 6 earned runs is not good.. He is terrible at holding runners on base and gave Alex no shot at throw the runners out... Am I ready to
sell on the kid.... No but in hindsight maybe he was not the best choice as a spot stater.. And correct me if i am not wrong but if Verlander pitches today and we win we pick up a half a game on the Sox and a full game on the tribe and still have Fister going this weekend.. You cannot split a four games series at home with a team over 20 games under .5oo... Typical Leyland trying to set up his playoff rotation before he clinches yet again. To bad because we wasted a great day from Magglio..

In what way are the Tigers in "big trouble" if they lose friday? If the White Sox don't sweep, they are the ones in "big trouble". If the Tigers take only one game this weekend, they put the Sox in a dire position. Let's not chicken little the end of the season already.

JimRice said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Not sure what everyone was watching but he got shelled.. 4.1 IP and 6 earned runs is not good.. He is terrible at holding runners on base and gave Alex no shot at throw the runners out... Am I ready to

In what way are the Tigers in "big trouble" if they lose friday? If the White Sox don't sweep, they are the ones in "big trouble". If the Tigers take only one game this weekend, they put the Sox in a dire position. Let's not chicken little the end of the season already.

I think the problem that many posters have is that until the Tigers "win the Central", during and after those games they lose, the 'sky is falling' bug will affect the many. BP has the Tigers as 91.3% winning as of today.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
JimRice said:

I think the problem that many posters have is that until the Tigers "win the Central", during and after those games they lose, the 'sky is falling' bug will affect the many. BP has the Tigers as 91.3% winning as of today.

No doubt. They are just back from a big series win in Tampa, a win in Minnesota and a split at home against KC. I could see being freaked out if the trip was poor, but I can't abide freaking out over the KC series fresh off that road trip. There's a difference between concern, worry and psychosis and thinking a team in the last month up by a potential 4.5 games in September is in "big trouble" is passed concerned and worried and into psychosis.

Back