Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Goalie Equipment Change Again?

mabre321

http://www.freep.com/article/201303.../Goalie-changes-on-docket-for-NHL-GM-meetings

NHL thinking about making goalie equipment smaller nets bigger. I dont like this at all, yes i understand goalies are getting bigger but at what point does this become soccer. Draft bigger goalies if you want to compete with this. Hockey doesn't need every game to be 7-6 to be exciting, I dont think the NHL understands hockey will never compete with the NFL and NBA in terms of market share, Stop tying to make the game more appealing to people who will never care. I'm not one of those people that thinks that any change to the game is bad i just think that changes like this are done with the idea that more people will watch if there are more goals scored.

Now what would have increased viewers would have been to sign the deal with ESPN when they had a chance, like it or not ESPN controls sports in America now and if the sport isnt on their network they will not talk about it.

I agree...

How can pads from the 70's be smaller than the pads today? We certainly have not regressed in the quality of pads since then. NHL: please reduce the width of goalie leg pads, trapper sizes, and blocker sizes. Goalies should not have gloves that can literally envelop a basketball. Use a first basemen's mit as a guide. Not only would scoring go up, but the differentiation between elite and average goalies would be more pronounced.

This would lead to more $$$ for elite goalies. Go back to Giguere's pads in '03. That is the definition of cheating. When your skate blades are 3 feet apart and there is no five-hole, that is absurd.

Completely agree mabre. I like all of the major sports but what makes hockey standout is that they haven't sold out to the entertainment market.....yet. I understand sports are a business but quit changing to satisfy the masses.

Hockey sold out to the entertainment market when they expanded to LA and brought in Gretzky.

Pads should definitely be reduced in size, should never have allowd them to get to size they are. Net size does not need to change, especially since it skews historical stats more than necessary.

Hockey sold out to the entertainment market when they expanded to LA and brought in Gretzky.

The Kings joined the NHL in 1967, and Gretzky was traded to the Kings in 1989, so I'm not sure of your point.

Pads should definitely be reduced in size, should never have allowd them to get to size they are. Net size does not need to change, especially since it skews historical stats more than necessary.

If the goalie equipment has to change, what of the sticks the players use to shoot at the goalies? Will they change, too? Should they revert to Northland Pros? I think that the speed of the game is what make the NHL interesting, not how many times the puck hits the back of the net.

I thinks its better to just leave everything the way it is now. There is always an adjustment period to any new rule change and it seems the NHL changes rules so fast now just when the players get used to something the rule changes again. If you allow the rules to stay more consistent teams will be able to adjust and the quality of the game goes up across the board.

Back