Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wings v Wild Game Thread

Watched until it was 2-0. DVRd and I'll watch in disinterested analysis mode. No traffic in front of goalie; no second chances. The in-zone pressure I saw was contained to the edges. The missed goal was egregious and Kromwall's hit was ill-advised. The high-stick call was generous, should have been a head check. Someday, open ice hits like that one will be penalties in their own right, and I think that's a valid adjustment. Looking for intelligent discourse on the topic.

The missed goal was egregious and Kromwall's hit was ill-advised. The high-stick call was generous, should have been a head check. Someday, open ice hits like that one will be penalties in their own right, and I think that's a valid adjustment. Looking for intelligent discourse on the topic.

I dont think you can ever get rid of the open ice hit. I think the problem with Kronwall is that he tends to leave his feet when he makes those type of hits. Players do need to keep in mind who is on the ice and keep their head up. If players have their heads up they are able to dodge those hits and if contact is made shoulders would go into the chest area rather than into the head.

I dont think you can ever get rid of the open ice hit. I think the problem with Kronwall is that he tends to leave his feet when he makes those type of hits. Players do need to keep in mind who is on the ice and keep their head up. If players have their heads up they are able to dodge those hits and if contact is made shoulders would go into the chest area rather than into the head.

It's not the open-ice hit qua open-ice hit, but I would not be surprised if it's incumbant on the player doing to hitting to avoid contact on a player with his head down. It was not a good hockey play on Kronwall's part, clean or not, IMO. There was no need to line up Coyle, but there was reason to simply strip the puck from Coyle.

It's not the open-ice hit qua open-ice hit, but I would not be surprised if it's incumbant on the player doing to hitting to avoid contact on a player with his head down. It was not a good hockey play on Kronwall's part, clean or not, IMO. There was no need to line up Coyle, but there was reason to simply strip the puck from Coyle.

IMO stripping the puck would have been a more dangerous play. If he misses then the Wild go on and Odd man rush and Kronwall is caught behind the play. Hitting him removes that possibility and is actually much easier than just taking the puck. Also hits like that do send a message, like a fight they give momentum to a team and also remind the other team that they have to be careful on the rush. Hits like that can slow the other teams rush because they don't want to be killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-e2IpRzmP4

Also here is a link to the hit for those who haven't seen it.

Man we have a tough schedule coming up..i know the wild are decent but we can't keep playing this bad at home..

Back