Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Johan Santana may be done for the year

manchild98

Two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana has suffered a probable re-tear of the anterior capsule in his left shoulder and a repeat surgery is a "strong possibility," New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Thursday.

Santana needed 19 months to throw a major league pitch after the first procedure, which had been performed on fewer than a dozen pitchers in major league history.

Now, he likely would need to overcome the surgery twice, this time at age 34, in order to return to pitching.

Santana is in the final guaranteed season of a six-year, $137.5 million deal with the club. There is $31 million still owed on the contract, all of which is not insured.

Santana was examined in New York on Wednesday by team doctor David Altchek, who performed the original Sept. 2, 2010, procedure. An MRI revealed a probable re-tear. At the request of Santana's agent, Altchek consulted with renowned doctors James Andrews and Lewis Yocum. Both confirmed the probable diagnosis of the re-tear of the anterior capsule, Alderson said.

Santana will remain in New York this weekend to deliberate before committing to surgery.

"If this diagnosis proves to be correct, I think in all likelihood Johan will be lost to the Mets for the season," Alderson said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...santana-probable-tear-shoulder-surgery-likely

Last edited:
For the season? Id be surprised if he ever pitches again period if he gets this 2nd surgery.

Done for the year?

Santana might very well be done for good @ age 34, and it takes him ~another year and a half to return.

Suele ocurrir per?f, Johan, as we fans of your former rivals here in the AL haven't missed ya since you became a Met.

Highest paid pitcher in baseball, 3rd highest player. For a guy who plays once every 5 days, and now is lost for a year.

This is why I'm against throwing too much money at pitchers, who are far more likely to have season ending injuries.

Highest paid pitcher in baseball, 3rd highest player. For a guy who plays once every 5 days, and now is lost for a year.

This is why I'm against throwing too much money at pitchers, who are far more likely to have season ending injuries.

I don't mind the money per year kind of thing. It's always the length of the contract I worry about. You get a SP a huge deal like JV, 5 years - I'm okay with. In case an injury, in case he starts sucking - it's manageable.

As far as P likely to have season ending surgeries over players, I don't know but as far as ending a career, never being the same when return - definitely P.

For the season? Id be surprised if he ever pitches again period if he gets this 2nd surgery.
Ditto. He'll likely be coming back at 35 or 36 and not having pitched much in a few seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see him done for good either. It's a shame because he was one of the best pitchers I've seen come around in a while.

The insurance company that guarantees his salary must be real happy.

There is $31 million still owed on the contract, all of which is not insured.

gustavo-cuevas46.jpg

OUCH

Back