Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Suggestion

buddyboy2121

Hey guys i've made my way over from the espn board. I have a trade idea (don't know if it would work out) but i think that the tigers should trade max scherzer for an elite 2nd baseman such as brandon philips. max can be a great pitcher but he needs work on his mechanics in order to be consistent. if max s successful the rest of the season, we should keep him but if he struggles, we should trade him for brandon philips in a trade that would look like this, Tigers send Max Scherzer, Andrew Oliver, and Bruce Rondon to Cincinnati for Brandon philips and a PTBNM (no-one major just another piece). i know some are you thinking, why would the reds do this, well philips will be a free agent after next season and they have a replacement for him already in the wings. why would detroit do this? why send one of our top pitchers? well because now that we've seen that doug fister can pitch efficiently and consistently we now can have a 1-2-3 of JV, Doug, and Porcello. after that we will have Turner and possible either edwin jackson or CJ Wilson. in acquiring Philips we will be getting a consistent player who plays great defense and can flat out hit. as for the cj wilson and edwin jackson reference we need another top of the rotation starter and we have money to spend this offseason making our rotation one of the best.

Nice that you made it B.
Not sure if you are talking now or after the season is over because I don't think any player you get now can be on the playoff roster.. But I would be open to all trade ideas to get a great second baseman in the off season. Heck maybe we can sign him... We have over 25 million coming off the books...

Phillips 2008-2010

Home .281 BAVG .333 OBP .476 SLG .809 OPS

Away .262 BAVG .317 OBP .407 SLG .724 OPS

Phillips 2011

Home .306 BAVG .351 OBP .478 SLG .829 OPS

Away .290 BAVG .339 OBP .393 SLG .732 OPS

30-year old righthanded hitter, who does not walk much and whose real power is from Great America Ball Park.

Ben Zobrist (also 30 yr old)

2008-2010

Home .255 BAVG .375 OBP .447 SLG .822 OPS

Away .272 BAVG .363 OBP .460 SLG .823 OPS

Home .220 BAVG .337 OBP .396 SLG .733 OPS

Away .320 BAVG .380 OBP .536 SLG .916 OPS

Unlike Phillips who is owed $12 Mil in 2012 (end of contract), Zobrist is signed through 2015 ($4.5 Mil in 2012, $5.5 Mil in 2013, $7.0 Mil in 2014, and $7.5 Mil in 2015).

I would not oppose trading Scherzer for Zobrist. I am, however, dead set against acquiring overprice, over-hyped talent in Philllips.

Not high on Zobrist. Not for a possible front line starter. If we were to trade Scherzer or Porcello I would like to get 2B or 3B that is younger than 30.

What isn't to like? He hits, he hits for power, he draws walks and he has a very good contract. Additionally, his UZR150 over the last 3-4 years at 2B is better than Brandon Phillips.

I don't want either. He'll be 31 next year. Last year he was horrible, in the BA category. A mid SP from the minors league I'd be okay with but not for a ML starter.

And I would like to get a guy who can take a walk, put in the 2 hole or lead off. But just rather get someone younger.

No way would the Rays trade Zobrist for Scherzer. Zobrist is one of the better players in the league, based on position, production and salary.

Phillips is a nice player. The only problem is that he has very lopsided splits. He's very ordinary verses right handed pitching over his career. He's got a club option for next year at 12 million, and then is a free agent.

alright i understand what you mean, and yes this trade for meant for the offseason. there are really no elite 3b available and we have a good hitting 3b in betemit he just needs more playing time, that's why we need a 2b.

Maize&blue21 said:
alright i understand what you mean, and yes this trade for meant for the offseason. there are really no elite 3b available and we have a good hitting 3b in betemit he just needs more playing time, that's why we need a 2b.

I agree the Tigers need a second baseman, I guess I disagree that they can afford to trade Scherzer. Max has been up and down this year, but with Penny likely moving on (and not very good) and Porcello seemingly unable to grow and improve, Max is pretty important.

In the end, I'd rather see them cobble together another year of second base by committee than make the starting staff any worse.

I agree the Tigers need a second baseman, I guess I disagree that they can afford to trade Scherzer. Max has been up and down this year, but with Penny likely moving on (and not very good) and Porcello seemingly unable to grow and improve, Max is pretty important.

In the end, I'd rather see them cobble together another year of second base by committee than make the starting staff any worse.[/quote]

it all depends how max finishes the season

I don't see how the next 5 starts are make or break for Scherzer's career.

JimRice said:
I don't see how the next 5 starts are make or break for Scherzer's career.

of course not but whether we should think about trading him while his value is still high, otherwise just keep him and hope he can have consistent mechanics and have a solid 2012 season

even if scherzer is up and down...there isn't shit around to fill his spot anywhere close to as well as he's filled it for a damn second baseman. if there was a highway of pitching talent coming up in the minors then i'd say look for a deal...but there isn't. max will be here to stay for awhile because there just aren't major league ready arms.

fedexgooch78 said:
even if scherzer is up and down...there isn't shit around to fill his spot anywhere close to as well as he's filled it for a damn second baseman. if there was a highway of pitching talent coming up in the minors then i'd say look for a deal...but there isn't. max will be here to stay for awhile because there just aren't major league ready arms.

uhh jacob turner and drew smyly happen to disagree

Maize&blue21 said:
fedexgooch78 said:

Jacob turner is not MLB ready.

I doubt Smyly is either.

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="Maize&blue21":ycliv9on]

Jacob turner is not MLB ready.

I doubt Smyly is either.[/quote:ycliv9on]
smyly is a college pitcher and has dominated this year so he should be ready, turner isnt quite ready but he will be in the rotation next year, we will be doing what we did with verlander in 2005/2006 with turner

Back