Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Greinke breaks collarbone in quentin mound charge

I has a sad.

And I'm sure byco42 will try to spin this incident as "I told you so" with regards to the Greinke signing.

Last edited:
quentin gets hit a lot b/c he crowds and leans over the plate, hoping for a BB or HBP, b/c he absolutely sucks as a hitter, he didn't even try to avoid being plunked, I would put a high and tight one in his earhole, no retaliation would be likely then.

Last edited:
Not sure what was the cause of his injury but when Quintin rushes at him, Grienke lowers his shoulder. Probably not smart.

Not sure what was the cause of his injury but when Quintin rushes at him, Grienke lowers his shoulder. Probably not smart.

greinke should have sidestepped at the last second, grabbed quentin by the upper right arm, twisted around, and used his own momentum to flip carlos to the ground like Porcello did to a charging yuckilis several years ago.

Last edited:
They have a history, and Greinke DEFINITELY threw at him years back..this was a full count in a 1 run game so I doubt he wanted to hit him but I did hear Greinke was talking shit after he hit him...

I heard Mattingly say he wants Quentin suspended until Greinke is healthy enough to pitch.

I heard Mattingly say he wants Quentin suspended until Greinke is healthy enough to pitch.
that seems fair to me, to be honest. no way was that intentional, and whether or not greinke said something, quentin didnt even try to head down to first, he started heading for the mound immediately. hes a fucking asshole and needs to be taught that this shit isnt cool. if he wants to fight, he can go play hockey.

They have a history, and Greinke DEFINITELY threw at him years back..this was a full count in a 1 run game so I doubt he wanted to hit him but I did hear Greinke was talking shit after he hit him...

Greinke is very lucky that collarbone break is connected to the opposite arm he throws with.

Mattingly's 2nd Clubhouse Rule should have been to prohibit his starters from leaving the dugout during brawls.

I will almost bet Magic Johnson is livid with Mattingly and berated him on the phone, in the middle of the night.

This incident may have cost the Dodgers a playoffs entry.

Last edited:
It sounded like there was some lead up to this earlier in the game where Kemp had a pitch thrown behind him or something (don't know for sure since I didn't watch the game). I think Quintin should get a suspension, but not one for the duration of Greinke's injury. Do pitchers get DL duration suspensions when they throw at a batter and break their hand or something? It sucks for Greinke and the Dodgers, but such is life. Greinke wasn't a completely innocent victim here.

greinke's face was turned away from the cameras, so all he might have said to quentin was that he didn't intend to hit him, & to go head & take his fucking base.

More bench-clearing brawls are the only way that the pathetic padres would ever be considered "competitive" in the NL West this season.

hairston Jr, who was later ejected from the game after order had begun to be restored, was quoted later that he overheard who might have been the padres' backup catcher baker yelling from their dugout, making fun out of greinke being injured. If true, then there likely will be even more bad blood between the two teams, especially b/c kemp also later confronted quentin "nose to nose" in the tunnel leading out of the ballpark, although they didn't come to blows.

greinke's face was turned away from the cameras, so all he might have said to quentin was that he didn't intend to hit him, & to go head & take his fucking base.

More bench-clearing brawls are the only way that the pathetic padres would ever be considered "competitive" in the NL West this season.

hairston Jr, who was later ejected from the game after order had begun to be restored, was quoted later that he overheard who might have been the padres' backup catcher baker yelling from their dugout, making fun out of greinke being injured. If true, then there likely will be even more bad blood between the two teams, especially b/c kemp also later confronted quentin "nose to nose" in the tunnel leading out of the ballpark, although they didn't come to blows.
This is pure, baseless speculation, but I would think that Quentin would lay waste to Kemp if it did come down to it. He just looks like he'd be a bad mofo and Kemp just doesn't. Again, this is based on nothing. LOL!

This is pure, baseless speculation, but I would think that Quentin would lay waste to Kemp if it did come down to it. He just looks like he'd be a bad mofo and Kemp just doesn't. Again, this is based on nothing. LOL!

The only part of my post that was intended to be speculation is what greinke might have said to quentin, otherwise the rest of it is factual.

"When Quentin was hit, he took a few steps forward and glared at Greinke, who appeared to say something to him.

"That was the final straw," Quentin said.

So Quentin wouldn't have charged the mound if Greinke hadn?t said anything?

"There's a chance I don't," he said.

Quentin wouldn't reveal what Greinke said to him. Greinke wouldn?t either."

~~

"Hairston appeared to have been ejected for running toward the Padres dugout as peace was starting to be restored.

Hairston said one of the Padres was making fun of Greinke's injury.

"When a guy?s making fun of a guy with a broken collarbone ... I took exception to that,? Hairston said.

Hairston refused to identify the player. Mattingly said Padres backup catcher John Baker was talking a lot."

~~

Looks to me like Kemp ain't exactly a weak sister, but quentin definitely is a hotheaded psycho thug, who has already demonstrated that he has no qualms about seriously injuring another ballplayer.

The only part of my post that was intended to be speculation is what greinke might have said to quentin, otherwise the rest of it is factual.

I think he was referring to his own comment being speculation.

I think he was referring to his own comment being speculation.

Perhaps it was, but if so, it kinda threw me off by KOD's quoting my post.

What gets me is that these players commencing to engage in bench-clearing brawls, (although this one in particular amounted to nothing but mostly just pushing and shoving) since at least some could become teammates in the future. It isn't like the era prior to FA, when they were more likely to remain with the same ballclub throughout their careers, but even back then there was always a chance that they could be traded.

kemp and to a lesser degree, hairston jr. apparently have been the most upset amongst the dodgers teammates, after greinke became injured.

mlb_a_kempm_300.jpg

Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp (left) and Padres pitcher Clayton Richard have their hands on each other after Kemp confronted Carlos Quentin in the tunnel walk-way exiting Petco Park following Thursday's game.

Last edited:
Yep, I was referring to my own baseless speculation on who'd win in a fight. I only quoted yours because you referenced a nose-to-nose confrontation between the two.

It takes two to tango, and Greinke shares half the blame. When Quentin charged him Greinke was halfway to the plate and went into Quentin shoulder down, so he's not innocent.

It was an unfortunate thing, but to suggest it's all on Quentin or even more than 50/50 on him is ludicrous.

Whether Greinke hit him on purpose or not is moot, after the fact though, he was a mutual combatant, and paid the price.

Back