Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Happy Justin Verlander day

Not a "do or die" game tonight.

BTW..... my favorite is the young lady on the far right.

Grab one bun with my left hand - that hairbun with my right hand.
cool.png

Does anybody else wonder that the 12 game winning sreak and the early clinching of the division title might impair JVs chances at the MVP, not having to keep winning down the stretch anymore to keep the Tiges alive?

Not that it matters, or that I think he would necessarily have won the MVP had it been the case that winning his last two or three starts would have been critical to the Tigers chances - just wondering if anyone thinks the early clinching might change voters perspective on Verlander as MVP...

I think it could actually help him, tinsel. I know that sounds weird, but it gives the Tigers more national attention and in the same breath people are saying how great JV has been for this team.

I think it does hurt his chances. If he had to keep pitching in must win games and shutting teams down he would get more votes. A few weeks ago they were showing a stat that the Tigers were 54-54 in non Verlander starts and 22-8 when he does start. Now we are 20+ games above .500 so it slightly diminshes his importance to the lazy voters.

For the record I didn't think he would realistically win it anyways. There are too many voters who won't vote for a pitcher. On a separate note...does anyone think Fister's numbers the last 6 games (4 earned in 6 starts) hurts JV a little bit? Fister has been better lately.

manchild98 said:
I think it does hurt his chances. If he had to keep pitching in must win games and shutting teams down he would get more votes. A few weeks ago they were showing a stat that the Tigers were 54-54 in non Verlander starts and 22-8 when he does start. Now we are 20+ games above .500 so it slightly diminshes his importance to the lazy voters.

For the record I didn't think he would realistically win it anyways. There are too many voters who won't vote for a pitcher. On a separate note...does anyone think Fister's numbers the last 6 games (4 earned in 6 starts) hurts JV a little bit? Fister has been better lately.
No more than Miggy's and Vmart's numbers hurt JV's, Haren's numbers hurt Weaver's, Lee's and Hamels' numbers hurt Halladay, or Big Sloppy's and Pedroia's numbers hurt AGon's.

We're fortunate to be one of a very few teams with a couple legit stud players on the roster. In a weird way, it think that helps us in the exposure department too.

Hope he can really bring it today. When his stuff is electric it is one of the most exciting things in baseball to watch. Not to mention in makes the other team look really silly.

I feel like he's been a little off lately. Hopefully he brings his A-game today, which is perfect-game level.

pray we don't need him, but if we do, he pitches.

Back