Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ESPN Power Rankings: Week 5

turok

The Tigers were dropped down one spot, to #6, this despite going 4-1 with a weekend sweep of the 1st place braves, since being swept themselves over the previous weekend vs the angels. They had moved UP a spot, despite their losing 4 straight and finishing that week with a 2-4 record...haha..go figure.

Also, despite being swept by the aforementioned Tigers, AND going 2-4 for the week, the braves only dropped one spot in the rankings, from being the top-ranked team in all of MLB in Week 4 to #2 and despite having also been swept last weekend by the pirates.

The Rangers went a mediocre 4-3 over the past week, finishing the week with a 4 game series split @ the twinks, after taking 2 out of 3 vs @ angels, and yet the ESPN baseball "gurus" saw fit to move them up 5 spots to rank them #1 in MLB...bullshit!! Maybe it was b/c they were on the road all week?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

I think that the braves should be ranked a bit lower than they are, maybe #8 or #9, and although I absolutely loathe and despise the red sox, they might deserve to hold the top spot in MLB currently. The yankees, after sweeping the jays in 4 straight, should be no lower than 10th instead of being #12, IMO.

Last edited:
ive said it the last few weeks and ill say it again, espn is bullshit. i wouldnt even bother checking their power rankings if you hadnt kept posting them lol

ive said it the last few weeks and ill say it again, espn is bullshit. i wouldnt even bother checking their power rankings if you hadnt kept posting them lol

Yeah, but since ESPN's rankings are so utterly ridiculous and often defy any kind of logic, I just can't help but to point it out & expose them for their sheer idiocy.

Also, ESPN's now resorting to hiding behind the dress of "Momma" Fuckedbook as a babysitter and virtual moderator to protect their sissified and extremely biased sportswriters, sages, and gurus, means that registering as a member, even IF also having a PAID subscription to their so-called "Insider" perks, which permits members to receive preferential "VIP" access to allegedly superior articles and opinion pages, is obviously no longer sufficient to comment, reply, or post anywhere and everywhere it is being permitted on their website.

Last edited:
it is fun to do that. its a shame so many people take espn seriously. it makes me sad.

There are no power rankings that do not defy logic in some way, except the standings.

Every power ranking (SI, ESPN, CBS, Bleacher Report, Yahoo, Fox, etc.) uses some from of semi- or non-statistical data to compile rankings.

I glance at them occasionally, but don't get upset by them, because they are just opinion, and nothing more.

There are no power rankings that do not defy logic in some way, except the standings.

Every power ranking (SI, ESPN, CBS, Bleacher Report, Yahoo, Fox, etc.) uses some from of semi- or non-statistical data to compile rankings.

I glance at them occasionally, but don't get upset by them, because they are just opinion, and nothing more.

They are based on TWTW....'nuff said.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings
Here's the latest from espnHD

maybe I'm being cynical with them, but the Tigers could be 25 and 5, and I still think espn gives top rankings to other teams.

The rump-rangers swept the dread sux over the weekend, they have an identical record @ 20-11 and the rump-rangers were ranked #1 last week, while the dread sux were #3...so how the fuck can they justify this??

Yanno that ESPN is creaming in their jeans over the dread sux being ranked #1 this week, and it was probably all that they could do NOT to have already done so last week. It will likely take another team or teams more than being merely a game or two better record-wise to dethrone them as well in the coming weeks...

Back