Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Umpires get a replay Wrong

Not exactly making the case for the umpires union. I completely understand getting the initial, full speed, real time call wrong. But how do you screw up the replay?

Hernandez is the worst umpire in MLB, and there are some really, really, really awful ones. Joe West, Phil Cuzzi and C.B. Bucknor to name a few.

Hernandez may be terrible, but don't all 4 Umpires watch the footage on replays?

You can't tell me that all 4 of them missed the fact that the ball was nearly 5 feet over the yellow stripe.

Hernandez may be terrible, but don't all 4 Umpires watch the footage on replays?

You can't tell me that all 4 of them missed the fact that the ball was nearly 5 feet over the yellow stripe.

Hernandez was the one who made the initital call, i'll bet you he refused to overturn it and none of the other umps could overrule it because it was his call.

the umpire situation is completely unacceptable. they blow calls daily, they have no accountability, and they can do basically whatever they want. its bullshit. it needs to change, but MLB seems like they'll never do anything about it because they just dont give a shit, and because bud selig is a fucking awful person.

Last edited:
They must have had action on the game..

" Hey Angel I have 5 dimes on the the game..... Me thinks that is a double.."

Looks like the other umps covered for Hernandez after they viewed the replay and didn't agree to overturn the blatantly incorrect call. Seems like they have circled their wagons against any controversial calls made that they let stand and wind up causing outrage by the fans and the teams/players who are directly or indirectly affected by them. HP umpires who begin to call obvious balls as strikes in the 9th or extra innings during inclement weather irk the hell out of me as well.

The biggest issue w/ umps in my mind is they seem to make the worst calls at the worst times. Ask Galaragga about that. When the outcome of the game is on the line...get it right for Pete's sake...

BREAKING: Joe Torre says in statement that decision by Angel Hernandez "stands as final."

Because fuck you, thats why.

BREAKING: Joe Torre says in statement that decision by Angel Hernandez "stands as final."

Because fuck you, thats why.

Yeah, I was reading that.....Joe Whoreee will be the next commissioner with that kind of statement.

These crumbs are at their job for life, never get sent down or fired for incompetence or continually making a wrong calls, never reporting to anyone and if they do to the chief of umpires or their office if there is one, it is all in a shroud of secrecy. They act like they walk on water.....
today, about 30 years ago FF joe west had to tv camera crew members ejected for showing a replay that he made a bad call....
May 9, 1984: Umpire Joe West ejects two television cameramen from Shea Stadium when they allow the Mets to view replays of a controversial play at the plate in which Hubie Brooks is called out. The Mets beat Atlanta, 3 - 1.

The biggest issue w/ umps in my mind is they seem to make the worst calls at the worst times. Ask Galaragga about that. When the outcome of the game is on the line...get it right for Pete's sake...

Obviously Galarraga having his perfecto stolen away by Joyce is one of, if not THE worst fuckup in MLB history, and still makes this latest umpire blunder pale in comparison, as the only way that the loss suffered as a result by the A's could become more significant is if later the loss negatively affects their clinching of a postseason berth or the AL West title.

Between the Tigers' getting swept, and the two Joes...Joe Fuck announcing and Ass-Country Joe West umpiring...last years' World Series was one of the most painful things I've ever watched as a sports fan.

No one would veto Hernandez as the UIC. I imagine there was some discussion, but Hernandez is the final say.

Letting a pitcher come out of a game without having faced a single batter.....that's a far worse mistake then missing a homerun.

That's little league knowledge there, that a pitcher who enters or starts a game must face at least 1 batter before being replaced.

Manager Porter thought that because a pinch hitter was announced he had the right to change pitchers. He misinterpreted the clause "...he shall pitch to the first batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the batter is substituted for..."

That's not a pinch-hitter, but if a new batter for some reason assumes the count of the original batter.

Last edited:
I say from now on let the players call the game. It they believe they're safe and a defensive player doesn't put up a fuss - let it stand.

Back