Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cap Space and Joe D

tigersofjustice

Now that the Pistons have cap space, Joe clearly must spend it. Josh Smith is the rumored pick up on a 4-5 year deal. Of course Joe seems to be ignoring that Smith is a 4 and that he is set at the position. He also is ignoring his poor outside shooting limiting his ability to space the floor as a 3.

In addition, there are rumors of trading for Rondo with Monroe. On top of that, there are rumors he's trying to acquire Rudy Gay.

Given all of this along with passing on Burke recently, I am pretty confident he is intentionally trying to mess this team up for years into the future.

Now that the Pistons have cap space, Joe clearly must spend it. Josh Smith is the rumored pick up on a 4-5 year deal. Of course Joe seems to be ignoring that Smith is a 4 and that he is set at the position. He also is ignoring his poor outside shooting limiting his ability to space the floor as a 3.

In addition, there are rumors of trading for Rondo with Monroe. On top of that, there are rumors he's trying to acquire Rudy Gay.

Given all of this along with passing on Burke recently, I am pretty confident he is intentionally trying to mess this team up for years into the future.

I thought Josh Smith is a 3. He is listed as a SF on ESPN.

Well since you have to spend 90% of your cap id rather have Gay for two years as he is only 26 than smith for 4 at 28.

I thought Josh Smith is a 3. He is listed as a SF on ESPN.

He can play the 3 however due to his lack of ability to shoot from the wing he is best fit at the 4. On some team makeups he can run the 3 but with us having two good bigs who play down low it'll crowd too much.

I wouldn't mind as taking a look at Jarret Jack now that GS has renounced rights to him.

Smith would bring some athletism but I agree hes not right for us. We need a shooter bad. Preferably somebody who can drop a dime and a long range threat too. Rudy Gay makes us a contender most likely. Not for the trophy, but for the playoffs.

Save the money. Get a top 5 pick and spend on a fa next year.

Agreed, this FA class is not all that great.

Although I would like to see the Pistons land, Jarret Jack. He's a very underrated PG that would help the Pistons win some basketball games.

I really think this Brandon Knight at PG experiment isn't going to work, he's a scorer first, and lacks the court vision to play the position.

You still have to spend 90% of the cap so they'll have to use it on somebody.

Love the size we offer, physicality, athleticism, and defensive ability our team has now. However, we lack a true PG and 3 pt shooting.

That said we still have trade assets in Knight, Stuckey, CV, etc. Maybe we Joe D can get something done.

Not a great fit, but our front line is going to be impossible to score against. I can live with it as long as we find more outside shooting and a bigger PG.

Smith cant guard most 3s in the league...wonder if we are considering moving monroe.

Smith cant guard most 3s in the league...wonder if we are considering moving monroe.

I have never abandoned a team in Detroit before....

But if they get rid of Monroe, fuck the Pistons, I'll find someone else to root for.

There is talk of this josh smith and Rajon Rondo as friends.
http://www.celticslife.com/2013/07/...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Could Rondo follow Josh Smith to Detroit?

talk of trading Knight, Monroe/the other big, picks, Celts could take on $$$contract, Charlie V.
Before all the trades of Doc, KG, and Pierce, this would be awful. Now after those trades, Celts not going anywhere for awhile, and Rondo's known and now documented attitude on/off the court and in the clubhouse, as a Celtics fan, why not.

Josh Smith was a pure total value move for the pistons for the total amount he was paid for. He got the same amount of money as Al Jefferson with an extra year, which is very reasonable. Josh smith is a top ten forward in this league going forward and is paid exactly like one. His contract is similar to loul deng, Tyson Chandler, Carlos boozer, Roy Hibbert, and Nene, whom Josh smith is undoubted better than each and every one of those players on his best night in terms on effect on the game on both sides of the ball, especially in the next 4 years. So what if he can't "shoot", was not like there was an elite shooter in the free agent class anyway. Josh smith gives the pistons a rock solid identity now, a team that you do not tread lightly on in the paint on both sides of the ball, and last time I checked, you control the paint, you control the game.

Josh Smith was a pure total value move for the pistons for the total amount he was paid for. He got the same amount of money as Al Jefferson with an extra year, which is very reasonable. Josh smith is a top ten forward in this league going forward and is paid exactly like one. His contract is similar to loul deng, Tyson Chandler, Carlos boozer, Roy Hibbert, and Nene, whom Josh smith is undoubted better than each and every one of those players on his best night in terms on effect on the game on both sides of the ball, especially in the next 4 years. So what if he can't "shoot", was not like there was an elite shooter in the free agent class anyway. Josh smith gives the pistons a rock solid identity now, a team that you do not tread lightly on in the paint on both sides of the ball, and last time I checked, you control the paint, you control the game.

I think we will definitely be a much better rebounding and defensive team, which I'm sure a lot of pistons fans can get behind.

I am so frustrated with Joe... He had a point Guard in the draft and freaking passed on him.. Hope it works in the long run but Burke would have solved two problems.. A point guard and a fan base that is extremely pissed off and a arena that is empty..Well that is 3 things...Damn it Joe what the heck has happened to you?

I am so frustrated with Joe... He had a point Guard in the draft and freaking passed on him.. Hope it works in the long run but Burke would have solved two problems.. A point guard and a fan base that is extremely pissed off and a arena that is empty..Well that is 3 things...Damn it Joe what the heck has happened to you?

I don't think Burke is an upgrade over Knight or Stuckey. He is too small and not quick enough to compete with today's NBA PG's. I think he will be a career backup

Back