Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Intrested!

Tigers_fan_1506

I have to admit, i was a HUGE pistons fan in the '90s and early 2000's. '04 was the first championship for one of my teams i ever got to witness. After i think it was the '06 season i started to lose intrest.Then in '10 i lost interest all together mainly because of Lebron. i felt the NBA was watered down and was the same teams every year. I hate with a passion when superstars team up to in titles. You didnt have to worry about that in the '90s. But i do have to say that i will be watching next season. I am intrested to see what the Pistons can do next year with the signing of Smith. And i will be rooting hard for the Pistons again. (and whoever plays the Heat!)

Last edited:
The NBA is getting more interesting because the Pistons are looking more hopeful. I was upset when we passed on Burke, but am quite pleased with how our offseason has turned out now.

they are finally going in the right direction. its not going to be easy, especially with the Pacers and Bulls in the Central!

The pacers have a nice team going but i'm not really scared of the bulls TBH. They are good but very beatable.

The NBA is getting more interesting because the Pistons are looking more hopeful. I was upset when we passed on Burke, but am quite pleased with how our offseason has turned out now.

I was happy when they passed on Burke. It would have been the "popular" pick because of his ties to the area. He is not a starting PG in the NBA. He is too small and not quick enough. He will be a career backup.

Burke may be a starter at some point but he will be a constant liability on defense. Hes a guy youd want with the 20th pick, not 8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Burke may be a starter at some point but he will be a constant liability on defense. Hes a guy youd want with the 20th pick, not 8

True, out of all his highlights in college there wasn't one on the defensive end. Well, maybe one..

I have to admit, i was a HUGE pistons fan in the '90s and early 2000's. '04 was the first championship for one of my teams i ever got to witness. After i think it was the '06 season i started to lose intrest.Then in '10 i lost interest all together mainly because of Lebron. i felt the NBA was watered down and was the same teams every year. I hate with a passion when superstars team up to in titles. You didnt have to worry about that in the '90s. But i do have to say that i will be watching next season. I am intrested to see what the Pistons can do next year with the signing of Smith. And i will be rooting hard for the Pistons again. (and whoever plays the Heat!)

Until they start losing again and then its bye bye Pistons :yay:

True, out of all his highlights in college there wasn't one on the defensive end. Well, maybe one..

Picking Appling's pocket to seal the game vs. State was a big highlight. But I agree, he'll most likely be a liability defensively in the NBA.

It was also him I think that had the all ball block called goaltend or foul in the championship game was he not? It wasn't recorded a block but it was a great play nonetheless, the refs got it wrong.

Picking Appling's pocket to seal the game vs. State was a big highlight. But I agree, he'll most likely be a liability defensively in the NBA.

Appling fell asleep there, credit to burke for taking advantage and being aggressive. Burke did turn it over on the prior possession to give msu the ball in a tie game, nobody remembers that. Just like everyone remembering korie luciouss 3 but he let md back in that game.

Appling fell asleep there, credit to burke for taking advantage and being aggressive. Burke did turn it over on the prior possession to give msu the ball in a tie game, nobody remembers that. Just like everyone remembering korie luciouss 3 but he let md back in that game.

To be fair I did forget about Burke's 4 other steals in the game too. Not that that's much to crow about considering the talent level he was going up against. Burke will certainly have a much tougher time in the NBA.

Good job on remembering one of Burke's 2 turnovers in 38 minutes of play though. Mind's like a steel trap on this one.

To be fair I did forget about Burke's 4 other steals in the game too. Not that that's much to crow about considering the talent level he was going up against. Burke will certainly have a much tougher time in the NBA.

Good job on remembering one of Burke's 2 turnovers in 38 minutes of play though. Mind's like a steel trap on this one.

it's uncanny really. burke played a great game but he made a few mistakes in MSU's late comeback. the net result was zero when it came to those two plays but of course you will always remember the steal. he's made really good decisions in the wins over MSU in AA. in 2012 he came up with a loose ball on the second to last possession and ran the break, got a layup instead of holding for the last shot. in retro, really smart, he could have milked the clock and taken the last shot but he choose to take the high percentage shot and take his chances on defense. of course green's shot attempt was hanging on the rim but it didn't go down.

he made some good decisions in late game situations

it's uncanny really. burke played a great game but he made a few mistakes in MSU's late comeback. the net result was zero when it came to those two plays but of course you will always remember the steal. he's made really good decisions in the wins over MSU in AA. in 2012 he came up with a loose ball on the second to last possession and ran the break, got a layup instead of holding for the last shot. in retro, really smart, he could have milked the clock and taken the last shot but he choose to take the high percentage shot and take his chances on defense. of course green's shot attempt was hanging on the rim but it didn't go down.

he made some good decisions in late game situations

Yeah, his decision making, especially on the break was pretty damn flawless.

I'm really on the fence in regards to the defense comment. He will be giving up size most nights, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was lacking a little quickness in comparison to other NBA PG's (though I'll be interested to see how that really plays out), but the same concerns were there coming out of high school and he turned a potential weakness into a strength if anything. Not that he was a lock down defender, but he plays much stronger than you'd expect and always went all out. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if he's slightly below average, but I think constant liability will be a little strong.

(oh, and he did swipe the ball at the very end of the last MSU game, denying them a shot to win, so the net result of the last minute was definitely a positive)

Yeah, his decision making, especially on the break was pretty damn flawless.

I'm really on the fence in regards to the defense comment. He will be giving up size most nights, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was lacking a little quickness in comparison to other NBA PG's (though I'll be interested to see how that really plays out), but the same concerns were there coming out of high school and he turned a potential weakness into a strength if anything. Not that he was a lock down defender, but he plays much stronger than you'd expect and always went all out. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if he's slightly below average, but I think constant liability will be a little strong.

(oh, and he did swipe the ball at the very end of the last MSU game, denying them a shot to win, so the net result of the last minute was definitely a positive)

As for the last play, that broke down. When they double teamed harris, a smart move by hardaway. Burke may have gotten credit for a steal but there wasnt enough time for a shot when he came up w the ball.

As for the nba, hes just going to be up against a different level of athlete. Nba guards are bigger, like irving, rose, evans, etc. They all have quickness on par or better than burke. He wont be a very good defensive player in my mind but that wont stop him from having a good career.

As for the last play, that broke down. When they double teamed harris, a smart move by hardaway. Burke may have gotten credit for a steal but there wasnt enough time for a shot when he came up w the ball.

As for the nba, hes just going to be up against a different level of athlete. Nba guards are bigger, like irving, rose, evans, etc. They all have quickness on par or better than burke. He wont be a very good defensive player in my mind but that wont stop him from having a good career.

Actually Hardaway was on Harris from the start, Burke was the one that came off his man to double team. He impeded Harris' progress then stole the pass intended for Appling. Sure, there probably wouldn't have been time for a shot at that point, but that's only because of Burke's double team (and the inept play call, to be fair).

Actually Hardaway was on Harris from the start, Burke was the one that came off his man to double team. He impeded Harris' progress then stole the pass intended for Appling. Sure, there probably wouldn't have been time for a shot at that point, but that's only because of Burke's double team (and the inept play call, to be fair).

I wouldn't say the play call was inept, just good d. Amongst msu fans, it was the time out that was contraversial. Payne had it it the backcourt and izzo called timeout as he passed to streaking valentine. He was worried that payne would travel or turn it over. I think the to call was the right one but some disagree

Burkes gonna be a top 5 point guard in this league.

You're certainly free to your opinion, but I just don't see it. Paul-Rose-Westbrook are just too good. Irving and Curry are injury prone, but dominant scorers in a way Burke has not shown - defensively we could call it a wash since Irving and Curry are bad, but both are bigger and at least equally athletic as Burke. That's not even getting into Wall, Williams, and Rondo, all of whom have all-star caliber track records and have significant physical advantages over Burke (Rondo may not after the knee injury).

Burke strikes me as a solid player, probably a starter for a while, but nothing in his games screams "elite." He's a good scorer, but not an elite shooter (nor finisher in the NBA). He's a good passer, but he doesn't project elite vision or creativity. The best thing he does is limit turnovers which, according to historical data, is actually a bad thing since it projects he's close to his ceiling already.

I think a good comparison for his career could be Jeff Green on the Celtics. Green was a high pick for OKC, and got a ton of minutes, but was always a negative on the court (despite overall average contributions, he played out of position). His game didn't develop much from year to year, and OKC ultimately traded him before he hit free agency. Boston kept him from the trade, payed him more than he likely deserved, but he became a bit more consistent (though ultimately still very average) for them. Burke is a guy that may get a ton of minutes in Utah, and will have decent per game averages because of it. But overall, I would bet he ends up looking much more like a middle of the pack starter than star.

Back