Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mitch Williams vs. Rayburn/Cabrera

uofmpoweri

Right after Mitch Williams jinxed Santos by calling him unhittable he went silent. I think that he had some Joe Carter flashbacks. That was one of the best come backs that I have ever seen! I think that we can officially eliminate the CWS's.

uofmpoweri said:
Right after Mitch Williams jinxed Santos by calling him unhittable he went silent. I think that he had some Joe Carter flashbacks. That was one of the best come backs that I have ever seen! I think that we can officially eliminate the CWS's.

I listened to the game on TV. Did Mitch say Santos was unhittable or did Mitch say he's "been" unhittable.

No question mark needed after my last sentence. My take / my hearing was a little different than yours.

I like listening to Mitch. He's bold at times - not always right, but neither were any color analyst of the past 50 years.... alive or dead.

Now seated next to Mitch last night was a play-by-play announcer that must have hired by the same guy that hired Jon Miller years ago.

I hate announcers that show little or no voice change when game highlights occur. Some of us posters can call a better game than that.

MotownWebGuy said:
uofmpoweri said:

I listened to the game on TV. Did Mitch say Santos was unhittable or did Mitch say he's "been" unhittable.

No question mark needed after my last sentence. My take / my hearing was a little different than yours.

I like listening to Mitch. He's bold at times - not always right, but neither were any color analyst of the past 50 years.... alive or dead.

Now seated next to Mitch last night was a play-by-play announcer that must have hired by the same guy that hired Jon Miller years ago.

I hate announcers that show little or no voice change when game highlights occur. Some of us posters can call a better game than that.

pretty sure he said " he's been unhittable"....

in the 8th , he said the Sox just had to get the ball to Santos in the 9th , who has been unhittable this year.

I missed the game due to a wedding up north. Bummer because it was probably the best game of the year. :(

I kinda liked Mitch, a guy not afraid to throw his opinion around.

He called out Umpires, guys who failed at laying down bunts, pitchers who missed the catchers targets, etc.

Refreshing to have someone who is not kissing everyone's asses all the time.

And he was the first to call the HR my Miggy.

The second it was hit he said "Gone, Game over", he was not afraid to step on the pbp guys toes and make a call.

Though some of his playing days stories are as bad as price's.

[quote author=thumb board=tigertalk thread=1118 post=26309 time=1315156084]I kinda liked Mitch, a guy not afraid to throw his opinion around.

He called out Umpires, guys who failed at laying down bunts, pitchers who missed the catchers targets, etc.

Refreshing to have someone who is not kissing everyone's asses all the time.

And he was the first to call the HR my Miggy.

The second it was hit he said "Gone, Game over", he was not afraid to step on the pbp guys toes and make a call.

Though some of his playing days stories are as bad as price's.[/quo

I did like his Steve Kemp story about his rookie debut in a double header going 0 - 8 against Nolan Ryan and Frank Tanana with 8 strike outs.

Mitch is always the first to make fun of himself for his wildness on the mound...at least he doesn't go around acting like he was the best closer ever. He's a pretty good analyst mostly...

He was talking about his slider being unhittable/unfair when he struck out Betemit.

Mitch is awful, he talked about himself the whole game. He couldn't make a single comment about a pitcher without saying how it was for him as a pitcher, even when it wasn't a relief pitcher. From listening to the broadcast we now know everything there is to know about Mitch Williams as a major league pitcher and nothing new about the actual pitchers in the game.

johnny2x2x said:
Mitch is awful, he talked about himself the whole game. He couldn't make a single comment about a pitcher without saying how it was for him as a pitcher, even when it wasn't a relief pitcher. From listening to the broadcast we now know everything there is to know about Mitch Williams as a major league pitcher and nothing new about the actual pitchers in the game.

We must have been watching different games.

He talked quite a bit about both Penny and Floyd, had a little egg on his face telling people about Santos too.

MI_Thumb said:
johnny2x2x said:

We must have been watching different games.

He talked quite a bit about both Penny and Floyd, had a little egg on his face telling people about Santos too.

Must have, because I remember him talking about Penny and his lost velocity and how it was for him when he lost velocity, no fun apparently. I remember him talking about locating his pitches and how Floyd reminded him of his own struggles at times. etc etc. Talked about himself way too much, especially since no one gives a shit who he was, it's not like he was Denis Eckersly or something, he had a couple good years. I mean, if it was Tom Seaver or Rolly Fingers I might be interested in their comparing everything a pitcher does to what they would have done, but it's Mitch Williams for god's sake. Even if it was Goddamn Christie Matthewson I wouldn't want him to equate everything he saw to his own experiences as a pitcher.

A good amount of casual listeners like hearing first person pro perspective of someone who may have had dealt with a similar situation. That said, a good amount of people are idiots.

Back