Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

QB decision today

Sbee

at least for WMU game, released to the media tomorrow.

95% sure it will be Maxwell, they'll go with the experienced QB and give him a shot, it's his to lose.

MAxwell will start, but he's on a short leash. O'Conner and Cook will see a series each at QB, and Terry might get a play or two.

anybody know the rules on red shirting? I know that DT can play in the first few days but MSU has to petition the NCAA for a red shirt and come up with a BS injury?

anybody know the rules on red shirting? I know that DT can play in the first few days but MSU has to petition the NCAA for a red shirt and come up with a BS injury?

They can play in 4 games(fewer than 30% of his team's games) as long as none of the games come after the midway point of the season.

I would be surprised if DT doesn't get a series or two in the first 3 games.

I hope Dantonio does that thing he did a few years ago when he would take QB's out and the replacement would do terrible.

I hope Dantonio does that thing he did a few years ago when he would take QB's out and the replacement would do terrible.

Assume youre talking about cousins and nichol. Both of those guys were inexperienced but that teams offense was fine, it was the secondary that stunk.
I think we have a full on qb crisis now. Hopefully the play will be better than last year, couldnt be much worse. Im not jumping off any bridges but I dont have a lot of confidence. Hopefully I get proven wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

How is it that MSU has no viable replacement for Cousins, who left two seasons ago?

several schools are still unsettled at the QB position (USC, FSU, WVU, etc, etc) - it's not like MSU is alone in that regard. Cousins is not an easy QB to replace but what do you mean by "still". Last year, 1 season removed from Cousins, there was no QB controversy. Maxwell was they guy. He was supposed to be a serviceable replacement - strong arm, "groomed" in the system, victim of an absurd amount of dropped balls but definitely questionable decision making. The bigger problem last year was the line - he never had any time and it cost him in terms of his development and probably destroyed whatever confidence he may have had. It's laughable that some folks are pointing to the OL as a strength this year. I'm not saying Maxwell is or even was good but his experience trying to simply survive last season may have something to do with why we have a QB competition this year.

Last edited:
How is it that MSU has no viable replacement for Cousins, who left two seasons ago?

going into last year we thought it would be Maxwell, 4 star recruit, top 10 pro style qb in the country, 3 years in the program, etc. he didn't have good wr's around him but he was still awful. lots of drops but I think those were due to Maxwell having no touch on short passes.

going into last year we thought it would be Maxwell, 4 star recruit, top 10 pro style qb in the country, 3 years in the program, etc. he didn't have good wr's around him but he was still awful. lots of drops but I think those were due to Maxwell having no touch on short passes.

If you can get your hands on it, you should catch it. Maxwell was bad and i'm not defending him or putting all the blame on the WRs but I think any conversation about last year's offense has to begin with the line.

Maxwell is the starter, but Cook will play too.

Maxwell is a mixed bag, he actually played fairly well in my mind the 1st half of the year, the drops killed him. We had 66 drops last year, if we had only had 30, Maxwell would have had an excellent season and we would have won a few more games. The 2nd half of the season, Maxwell played poorly, don't know if he lost confidence or if the shoulder injury was worse than they let on, but he looked awful. Maxwell has a very strong arm, but not much touch, you can blame the receivers for 66 drops, but some of them fall on Maxwell, how many times did Maxwell rifle the ball to an open receiver in the flat?

MAxwell has to show that he's developed in the 1st few games or we'll be going with someone else the rest of the year IMO. People act like the QB spot is a mess, I don;t look at it that way, we have more talent amongst the 4 QBs than we've had at that position maybe ever at Michigan State. All 4 guys have big arms, all 4 guys are smart and show good leadership qualities.

We will need much improved QB play to get where we want to go, whether it's Maxwell, Cook, or O'Coner, I don't care, just as wlong as it's better.

If you can get your hands on it, you should catch it. Maxwell was bad and i'm not defending him or putting all the blame on the WRs but I think any conversation about last year's offense has to begin with the line.

I agree to a point, most of the drops were the receivers fault. a good percentage of the INT's were due to tipped balls, not on Maxwell. it is tough for guys to catch the ball at close range if it's thrown way too hard, he needs to develop more touch on those shorter passes.

I agree to a point, most of the drops were the receivers fault. a good percentage of the INT's were due to tipped balls, not on Maxwell. it is tough for guys to catch the ball at close range if it's thrown way too hard, he needs to develop more touch on those shorter passes.

And I agree with you - to a point. It would be nice if we had a line that could provide more time for longer plays to develop. Again, I'm not defending Maxwell as he knew he wasn't going to get time but he would just get rid of the ball as quickly as possible - never really used his feet to either extend plays or tuck and run for the marker...

And I agree with you - to a point. It would be nice if we had a line that could provide more time for longer plays to develop. Again, I'm not defending Maxwell as he knew he wasn't going to get time but he would just get rid of the ball as quickly as possible - never really used his feet to either extend plays or tuck and run for the marker...

of course losing 3 OL and our TE in the first few weeks really hurt us. on the other hand, having the other teams stack the box to defend bell helped Maxwell, he won't have that in his favor

and this man is responsible for that:
images

and this man is responsible for that:
images

Michigan excuses belong in a different thread.

I will pretty much guarantee that our streak of 3 straight qb's playing on the nfl will come to an end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Back