Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Korie Lucious takes a shot at izzo

Sbee

the article says that he was kicked off the team for smoking weed, not a shock to anyone

Coach Izzo, playing for him, it wasn't the yelling or anything," Lucious said. "It was the fact he just didn't respect my game. Coach Izzo used to always call me an 'And 1' player, like, even if I dribbled in between my legs and he would just yell at me and say, 'This isn't And 1 streetball.' I mean, it was to the point I couldn't shoot floaters or do nothing there, man, and he just put me in the position only to be a 3-point shooter and didn't let me showcase my true talent."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130917/SPORTS0202/309170110#ixzz2fBRd3Zgk

Last edited:
you never want former players to say anything bad about the coach or the program, this is not good publicity.

one thing the article fails to mention is that Izzo coached Lucious to two big ten titles and two final fours in his two full seasons at MSU

As you can tell by the user name I was and still am a big fan of Lucious. Even on the old ESPN boards I'd argue with you Sbee on how good I thought he was as a player. If Korie wasn't kicked off the team and played when Draymond was a senior we would have made the final four. I always thought he was better at running the point than Lucas or Appling were/are. People at MSU always said he was a turnover machine yet if you go by stats he had a way better Turnover to assist ratio than Lucas. He was a horrible shooter, I'll give you guys that, but he played well at ISU his senior year.

By the way in the article he does say that his greatest memory as a basketball player was going back to back final fours with Izzo.

As you can tell by the user name I was and still am a big fan of Lucious. Even on the old ESPN boards I'd argue with you Sbee on how good I thought he was as a player. If Korie wasn't kicked off the team and played when Draymond was a senior we would have made the final four. I always thought he was better at running the point than Lucas or Appling were/are. People at MSU always said he was a turnover machine yet if you go by stats he had a way better Turnover to assist ratio than Lucas. He was a horrible shooter, I'll give you guys that, but he played well at ISU his senior year.

By the way in the article he does say that his greatest memory as a basketball player was going back to back final fours with Izzo.

I agree with you 100% on Lucious and had the same arguments on the ESPN board. But he was a better shooter than you give him credit for. Everyone blames him for letting MD back in the game he won with the huge shot but it was NOT him - it was mostly the way over-rated Raymar Morgan. Losing Chris Allen was no big deal but losing Korie Lucious cost us a Final Four, maybe more.

the article says that he was kicked off the team for smoking weed, not a shock to anyone

Coach Izzo, playing for him, it wasn't the yelling or anything," Lucious said. "It was the fact he just didn't respect my game. Coach Izzo used to always call me an 'And 1' player, like, even if I dribbled in between my legs and he would just yell at me and say, 'This isn't And 1 streetball.' I mean, it was to the point I couldn't shoot floaters or do nothing there, man, and he just put me in the position only to be a 3-point shooter and didn't let me showcase my true talent."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130917/SPORTS0202/309170110#ixzz2fBRd3Zgk

hardly "taking a shot" at Izzo. He's not accusing him of anything or saying he sucks. He didn't even say Izzo was wrong to kick him off the team or that he was bitter he did.

Last edited:
hardly "taking a shot" at Izzo. He's not accusing him of anything or saying he sucks. He didn't even say Izzo was wrong to kick him off the team or that he was bitter he did.

i'd say that saying he didn't respect his game and didn't showcase his true talent is taking a shot at a coach

i'd say that saying he didn't respect his game and didn't showcase his true talent is taking a shot at a coach

If he said he didn't respect Izzo or that he was dirty or blamed him for things not working out, that would be taking a shot. Lucious said he was young and made poor decisions and blamed himself. Adding that he felt under-utilized but taking responsibility for his own poor decision making in responding to it is not "taking a shot".

Who's Korie Lucious? Nobody. Who cares, the guy was a legend in his own mind. He's bonging it in Poland, good luck. If the guy played as hard as he hit that weed pipe, he may have amounted to something.

Last edited:
Lucious said. "It was the fact he just didn't respect my game. Coach Izzo used to always call me an 'And 1' player, like, even if I dribbled in between my legs and he would just yell at me and say, 'This isn't And 1 streetball"

Doesn't he mean dribbled off his foot and out of bounds?

Anyone see the interview Izzo did about Lucious and Allen situation. Sounds like Izzo is ok with Allen now days but to me it came off as if he was on pretty bad terms with Lucious. Izzo did not appreciate the And 1 remarks and basically said Korie had/still has character issues and he didn't play better at Iowa State than he did at MSU.

Lucious was big for us. He will always be known for what he did against Maryland. His statements against Izzo are a tell that most of us already knew. I hope he finished his degree, somewhere, because he's going to need it.

Lucious was big for us. He will always be known for what he did against Maryland. His statements against Izzo are a tell that most of us already knew. I hope he finished his degree, somewhere, because he's going to need it.

If Charlie Bell can play in the NBA, Korie Lucious can too. Nothing against CB.

I assume you never say Charlie Bell play, if you did, you would never compare those two

I saw Charlie Bell play plenty let's not make him out to be something he wasn't. good defender/offensive role player.

Last edited:
Honestly this doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Izzo and Lucious clashed as personalities a lot because Lucious wanted to be something for himself that wasn't always conducive to the team. He had one big game and an otherwise pretty terrible career. He said Izzo was holding him back, except he's been exactly as bad at Iowa State as he was here. You can point to the Maryland game as his big moment, but that's all it was. One moment in a sea bricks.

Honestly this doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Izzo and Lucious clashed as personalities a lot because Lucious wanted to be something for himself that wasn't always conducive to the team. He had one big game and an otherwise pretty terrible career. He said Izzo was holding him back, except he's been exactly as bad at Iowa State as he was here. You can point to the Maryland game as his big moment, but that's all it was. One moment in a sea bricks.

He scored 20 @Duke when our whole team was playing horrible.

He scored 20 @Duke when our whole team was playing horrible.

Lets look at his career instead of isolating one game. Chris allen score 27 I believe as a freshman against a stacked Memphis team, he still didn't have nearly the career as the rest of the guys that sucked in that game

Lets look at his career instead of isolating one game. Chris allen score 27 I believe as a freshman against a stacked Memphis team, he still didn't have nearly the career as the rest of the guys that sucked in that game

He played two season at MSU you never know what he could've accomplished with two more. If you look at Sutons career he was a pretty awful player but in my opinion he was the reason we made it to the final four. He was a mismatch for every team we played his senior year. Never know what kind of improvements a player can make.

Back