Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ND Loss

Sbee

we didn't deserve to win this game

main reasons we lost

not getting points on that first drive, that was a killer. get the ball at the 30 and come away with nothing. that reminds me of last years team

the interception by Shelton, terrible play call to have a true freshman in there for that play. maybe folwer would have known to throw the ball away or check down.

fumble overturned early. I thought his arm was never going forward until after he lost the ball, I was surprised they saw enough to overturn a fumble call on the field

stupid penalties, ND had some too but those 3rd down ones were killers. looks like Reynolds maybe went high on rees and then the PI hurt us.

I never looked at this game as a W on the schedule, we had a chance to steal this one but didn't mount much of a drive with Maxwell in there. I think we'll be fine for the big ten season, nobody on our side looks very good.

also, great game by the defense today. only gave up 220 yards

Last edited:

main reasons we lost

not getting points on that first drive, that was a killer. get the ball at the 30 and come away with nothing. that reminds me of last years team/QUOTE]

Reminds you of last year? This team is worse than last year.

And we lost this game because of three horrible PI calls - one in particular - and a bad defensive holding call. They did everything they needed to do to beat ND but every scoring drive had an awful call.

main reasons we lost

not getting points on that first drive, that was a killer. get the ball at the 30 and come away with nothing. that reminds me of last years team/QUOTE]

And we lost this game because of three horrible PI calls - one in particular - and a bad defensive holding call. They did everything they needed to do to beat ND but every scoring drive had an awful call.

I don't think we're worse than last year, at least we should have a better record than last year

of course there were some bad calls but I think we should have overcome those. if we don't have the RJ Shelton pass we're never in position to give up the PI.

lots of things factor in close games, the calls were just one of many, including play calling, poor execution, missed field goals, etc.

also, give credit to ND, they didn't make the mistakes we did.

I don't think we're worse than last year, at least we should have a better record than last year

of course there were some bad calls but I think we should have overcome those. if we don't have the RJ Shelton pass we're never in position to give up the PI.

lots of things factor in close games, the calls were just one of many, including play calling, poor execution, missed field goals, etc.

also, give credit to ND, they didn't make the mistakes we did.

We are definitely worse than we were last year regardless of our final record.

We lost by 4 and nd field position wasn't much diff than if we made it so the FG doesn't factor into it. However, not scoring a TD when you only have to go 30 yards definitely does. Also, 4 PI calls, 3 of which were horrible and sustained drives absolutely are a factor. Btw, anyone besides the refs miss Robinson offensive PI on 3rd down in NDs first FG drive? Even Mayock called it a "subtle push-off". That play, 3 of the 4 PIs and the def holding is 5 blown calls by the refs. How many bad calls did ND get against them that sustained MSU drives? Zero. That's effectively a 5 turnover to none advantage except they came from the refs, not MSU.

And how exactly are teams supposed to overcome a number of bad calls? If you get beat on a play you can say you didn't prepare well enough. What drills do teams do to prepare to overcome 5 bad or missed calls that sustain drives?

Finally, anyone that thinks Dantonio is a great coach is an idiot. An idiot. Period.

Last edited:
Listened to the game on the drive from Dayton to Detroit. Don Criqui and Allen Pinckett were lauding MSUs defense. And they had no beefs with the PI calls, either.

last year you lost to ND, 20-3 AT HOME.

granted ND's defense isn't as good as they were last year, but their offense is about the same, in my opinion. I didn't think Golston was all he's hyped up to be, and their passing game is better with Rees.

I don't know why anyone ever calls trick plays at ND. I know Dantonio had that one year where it worked, but since then every times he's called them, it's been a disaster. same thing happened to us last year in South Bend... we're moving the ball, and for some inexplicable reason, we call a half-back pass, which gets intercepted in the end zone... 0 points.

Listened to the game on the drive from Dayton to Detroit. Don Criqui and Allen Pinckett were lauding MSUs defense. And they had no beefs with the PI calls, either.

you mean nd grad Don Criqui and nd grad and former tailback for the nd football team Allen Pinckett had no beefs with the PI calls in nd's favor? Well, that settles it. This definitely trumps NBC's nd announcer Mike Mayock, referee Mike Pereira and a whole host of independent commentators.

Last edited:
last year you lost to ND, 20-3 AT HOME.

granted ND's defense isn't as good as they were last year, but their offense is about the same, in my opinion. I didn't think Golston was all he's hyped up to be, and their passing game is better with Rees.

I don't know why anyone ever calls trick plays at ND. I know Dantonio had that one year where it worked, but since then every times he's called them, it's been a disaster. same thing happened to us last year in South Bend... we're moving the ball, and for some inexplicable reason, we call a half-back pass, which gets intercepted in the end zone... 0 points.

so we scored 10 more points on a defense that is clearly not as good as it was last year and put up 21 against so fla who gave up 53 to a 1AA squad and managed just 26 against WMU. this team is worse than last year - no doubt about it.

main reasons you lost?

No flippin QB

You sure about that? total passing yards were 135 to 142 - a 7 yard disadvantage but MSU had way more drops than nd and Cook had a much higher completion % than Rees (50.0 vs. 41.2). Seems like advantage MSU at the QB spot or at worst, a wash as nd didn't have a "flipping QB" either. There were multiple bad coaching decisions (limiting Langford's touches, ill-conceived/timed trick play, stupid QB substitution, etc). And there was a questionable, if not horrible call against our defense on 3rd or 4th down that extended every nd scoring drive. But according to your thoughtful, reasoned and factually supported analysis we lost because we have "no flipping qb". Brilliant.

Last edited:
You sure about that? total passing yards were 135 to 142 - a 7 yard disadvantage but MSU had way more drops than nd and Cook had a much higher completion % than Rees (50.0 vs. 41.2). Seems like advantage MSU at the QB spot or at worst, a wash as nd didn't have a "flipping QB" either. There were multiple bad coaching decisions (limiting Langford's touches, ill-conceived/timed trick play, stupid QB substitution, etc). And there was a questionable, if not horrible call against our defense on 3rd or 4th down that extended every nd scoring drive. But according to your thoughtful, reasoned and factually supported analysis we lost because we have "no flipping qb". Brilliant.
did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

you mean nd grad Don Criqui and nd grad and former tailback for the nd football team Allen Pinckett had no beefs with the PI calls in nd's favor? Well, that settles it. This definitely trumps NBC's nd announcer Mike Mayock, referee Mike Pereira and a whole host of independent commentators.

I see that the wound is still open. Apparently too soon to make light.

I see that the wound is still open. Apparently too soon to make light.

didn't know sarcasm was an inappropriate response to sarcasm. That was for the benefit of folks like michchamp who started following college football after 2000 AD.

Last edited:
you give up way too easily - but given your position, it's probably the right move.
it's just that you seem crankier than usual. maybe Byco is right. you are in the "anger phase" of grief:

Greif.JPG

we can revisit later when you've moved on.

it's just that you seem crankier than usual. maybe Byco is right. you are in the "anger phase" of grief:

we can revisit later when you've moved on.

I'm neither cranky nor angry, I merely found your comments dumber than usual. You know you've lost the argument when you resort to ad hominem nonsense - no doubt, frustrated that you don't know what you're talking about.

In the case of byco, it seems he merely mistook my response to his post as serious rather than sarcastic - understandable given my response to yours right after it. Although he sometimes comes off as a condescending intellectual, byco at least knows what he's talking about and makes some good points. You're just a partisan hack who tries to bait people with personal attacks because you can't hang. Thanks for the picture though - that was helpful.

Last edited:
sounds like you're in the "dialogue and bargaining" phase. next you'll "accept" the loss, and after that, "return to meaningful life" (though that assumes your life was meaningful prior to last Saturday, an assumption which I would not make in your case).

sounds like you're in the "dialogue and bargaining" phase. next you'll "accept" the loss, and after that, "return to meaningful life" (though that assumes your life was meaningful prior to last Saturday, an assumption which I would not make in your case).

I think Dr. Ben Carson said it best: ?if you don?t have anything useful to say, you attack people. If you feel that your house of cards has been discovered and is starting to come unraveled, you become very desperate. Intelligent people tend to talk about the facts, they don?t sit around and call each other names. That?s what you can find on a third grade playground.?

I think you need to take Digs advice and worry about your own team.

I'm neither cranky nor angry, I merely found your comments dumber than usual. You know you've lost the argument when you resort to ad hominem nonsense - no doubt, frustrated that you don't know what you're talking about.

In the case of byco, it seems he merely mistook my response to his post as serious rather than sarcastic - understandable given my response to yours right after it. Although he sometimes comes off as a condescending intellectual, byco at least knows what he's talking about and makes some good points. You're just a partisan hack who tries to bait people with personal attacks because you can't hang. Thanks for the picture though - that was helpful.

I take great umbrage in your specious evaluation of my tone. A total contradistinction to my actual nature, which is gracious, forthright and magnanimous. Your assessment of my effrontery is greatly exaggerated. I object to this malicious Spartan-infested diatribe. You may now take your leave.

Back