Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dantonio

LuciousGameWinner

Lets say we finish the season with 7 wins. Is he on the hot seat or does he still get a pass for those two 11 win seasons he had?

Last edited:
Lets say we finish the season with 7 wins. Is he on the hot seat or does he still get a pass for those two 11 win seasons he had?

no, not at all. this isn't accepting mediocrity but his overall record is very good and much better than any predecessor, including Saban. aside from the record, we've run a much better program under MD, we've have limited off the field incidents and we are doing things the right way.

How many years of mediocrity until he does get on the hot seat?
And Sbee be honest on this next question, would we be better off with Narduzzi as head coach, or has it never crossed your mind. As far as I can remember he's the reason we got Gholston who was a big recruit coming out of high school.

How many years of mediocrity until he does get on the hot seat?
And Sbee be honest on this next question, would we be better off with Narduzzi as head coach, or has it never crossed your mind. As far as I can remember he's the reason we got Gholston who was a big recruit coming out of high school.

If winning 7 games becomes the norm we should look elsewhere. With the resources and support that we have we should expect more than that. I don't have an exact date but I think he's earned more than just this season. Changing coaches generally means a tough transition, program attrition and fewer wins in the short term.

Its way too early to talk about replacing him

All around, Dantonio is the best coach MSU has had since Biggie Munn. Better than Perles. Better than Duffy. Talk of replacing him is silly. And just when MSU has established a measure of stability, too.

no, not at all. this isn't accepting mediocrity but his overall record is very good and much better than any predecessor, including Saban. aside from the record, we've run a much better program under MD, we've have limited off the field incidents and we are doing things the right way.

No, it's not accepting mediocrity because we don't accept mediocrity, we champion mediocrity. Dantonio is an OK coach but he is definitely not a great coach. Not paying Saban what he wanted may have been the right thing to do for the University but it turned out to be a huge mistake for the program. It was compounded by two consecutive MASSIVE hiring blunders. Anyone who thinks MD is a better coach than Saban is sniffing too much glue.

By the way, Saban's first 5 years weren't much worse than MD's - 10 fewer wins but 5 fewer games and he coached in a FAR more competitive conference than Dantonio has.

All around, Dantonio is the best coach MSU has had since Biggie Munn. Better than Perles. Better than Duffy. Talk of replacing him is silly. And just when MSU has established a measure of stability, too.

I agree, especially in regards to how he's toughened them up overall. but the Bollman hire is troubling. and he's made some dumb coaching decisions (I assume the fake FGs and some of the QB decisions are his)

The true test will come when Narduzzi leaves.

if he hires some schlub to replace him, then yes.

if he gets rid of Bollman, and gets a decent OC, they can probably continue to be a 7+ win team even with a weaker defense. if he hires a Greg Robinson and the defense slumps to a RichRod one, then he's clearly out of touch and probably should go.

Dantonio hasn't fired an assistant yet. There is ZERO chance he gets rid of his friend after 1 season especially if they win more games than last year. I enjoyed 2010 and 2011 as much as anyone adn I do think they were the best team in the B1G both years. BUT the B1G was in the process of bottoming out which it hopefully did in 2012, when MSU was .500 overall and 3-5 in a very, very weak B1G. I don't care how many excuses you make for missed FGs, dropped passes, etc. Great coaches don't eak out 5 close wins in a weak conference, let alone lose that many.

Last edited:
I agree, especially in regards to how he's toughened them up overall. but the Bollman hire is troubling. and he's made some dumb coaching decisions (I assume the fake FGs and some of the QB decisions are his)

if he hires some schlub to replace him, then yes.

if he gets rid of Bollman, and gets a decent OC, they can probably continue to be a 7+ win team even with a weaker defense. if he hires a Greg Robinson and the defense slumps to a RichRod one, then he's clearly out of touch and probably should go.

Lets get one thing straight. His name is Gerg. Haha

The true test will come when Narduzzi leaves.

I think he will be here next year and then someone will hire him. Didn't Texas Am offer him the defensive coordinator position last year? Give Narduzzi SEC talent and that defense will be extremely scary. I'm sure he's waiting for a head coaching job to open up.

I don't know who's coaching Cincy right now but the day they get fired Narduzzi will be their number one candidate.

Mark is really close to being a great coach in my opinion.. Don't care who was the Michigan coach if you beat them four in a row and are 4-2 lifetime verses them that is
a good thing for Spartan fan's.

Now I now Rose Bowls and BCS games are some sort of a measuring stick but he won 11 games in back to back years which is fantastic.. Yeah he is a tad conservative at times but with that defense you can be...

Last edited:
I don't think that the defense will take a big step back when Narduzzi leaves, MD is a defensive minded coach with a defensive background.

Mark is really close to being a great coach in my opinion.. Don't care who was the Michigan coach if you beat them four in a row and are 4-2 lifetime verses them that is
a good thing for Spartan fan's.

Now I now Rose Bowls and BCS games are some sort of a measuring stick but he won 11 games in back to back years which is fantastic.. Yeah he is a tad conservative at times but with that defense you can be...

Conservative? He's the guy that's calling all these stupid trick plays not to mention stupid substitutions. The years he won 11 games were 2 of the 3 easiest years in the B1G in my lifetime - the third was last year when he won 3. Until he competes for a B1G championship most every year, when the conference is at highs and lows, he's a mediocre coach at best.

Back