Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU vs Illinois

Green and White 95

This game scares me. Big time trap game IMO. Illinois has a good offense and Scheelhass (sp) has looked better this year than any other year he has played. They have played some solid opponents, losing by 10 to Washington, got beat good by Nebraska, and they got blown out last week against Wisky, making it closer than it was in garbage time. They did crush Cinci in week two, so they do have a quality win. It's also Homecoming week for them and I'm sure that Wisky game left a bad taste in their mouth. I hope we find our passing game again and keep pounding the ball, as it seems Illinois isn't good at stopping the run.

I'm still going with a win, but I think this one will be close, and maybe even a come from behind game.

MSU 31

Illinois 28

Last edited:
Illinois is better than Purdue, and you struggled to put Purdue away at home, but State has played fine on the road, and Illinois isn't a particularly tough place to play, even during homecoming.

I think you guys should win by 6-7 points actually. it would take Cook having a terrible game or Scheelhaase having the game of his career to change those numbers.

only if you turn the ball over in bad places or repeatedly, will it be a game. If Illinois does, it will be a state blowout.

Illinois is so bad that if we lose this game it will be because we got exposed, not trapped. They have played nobody and in 2 of 3 losses Sheelhaase had less than 200 yards passing. They did have 319 against wisco but Ill had 5 plays account for more than half of it (lots of big plays) and 70 yards came from O'Toole in garbage time against wisco's 3rd string defense. I'm not saying it will be an easy win - no games are with our offense but I don't really consider it a "trap" game.

If we play like we did against Purdue, we will lose.

I hope you don't because I have this theory that teams with solid talent but a knack for under-performing (also applies to you guys this year), tend to bounce back strong after a loss.

I would like to see State win this 56-14.

I hope you don't because I have this theory that teams with solid talent but a knack for under-performing (also applies to you guys this year), tend to bounce back strong after a loss.

I would like to see State win this 56-14.

49 points is asking a lot, even from our defense.

Last edited:
Illinois is so bad that if we lose this game it will be because we got exposed, not trapped. They have played nobody and in 2 of 3 losses Sheelhaase had less than 200 yards passing. They did have 319 against wisco but Ill had 5 plays account for more than half of it (lots of big plays) and 70 yards came from O'Toole in garbage time against wisco's 3rd string defense. I'm not saying it will be an easy win - no games are with our offense but I don't really consider it a "trap" game.

I think we have already been exposed since the beginning of the season. We thought that the pass game had at least found itself, then last week happened. I am worried this week could be the same. Supposed to be real strong winds down there this Saturday, which could make an already inaccurate QB even worse. We wll have to run the ball down their throats like others have done to have success. It worries me that we are playing a better offense than Purdue, and we cant play like lst week and expect to win.

Also, they have played two of the best teams in the B1G, even though the B1G sucks, Wisky and Nebraska are still top tier teams. I would say anytime when you're getting ready to play your main rival the next week, the game before can be a trap, especially playing away.

I think we have already been exposed since the beginning of the season. We thought that the pass game had at least found itself, then last week happened. I am worried this week could be the same. Supposed to be real strong winds down there this Saturday, which could make an already inaccurate QB even worse. We wll have to run the ball down their throats like others have done to have success. It worries me that we are playing a better offense than Purdue, and we cant play like lst week and expect to win.

Also, they have played two of the best teams in the B1G, even though the B1G sucks, Wisky and Nebraska are still top tier teams. I would say anytime when you're getting ready to play your main rival the next week, the game before can be a trap, especially playing away.

Cook had an awful game last week, word is he practiced bad the week prior as well so this wasn't a surprise really. He's practiced very well this week. It was a step back for Cook, but it wasn't as bad as the passing game looked the first few games, the receivers were getting wide open, running good routes, and there were no drops. The receivers have also been blocking very well the last few weeks.

We'll find out today if it was just a glitch, Cook should be able to pass on Illinois especially when our running game is moving the chains.

Sticking with 31-17, Cook has a bounce back game, we run the ball well and the defense gives up less than 300 yards.

Minny just gave us 1st place in the Legends alone, let's hold onto it today. A win today and we're in the driver's seat for the division title.

Has Hell frozen over? Minnesota already bowl eligible and it's not late November.

Whoever wins the MSU/U-M game will likely win the division

Back