Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Key to the michigan game

Sbee

in my opinion I think the key will be containing DG on the ground. I don't think Michigan will get much out of Fitz and Green, we'll dominate their line. if DG stays in the pocket, he's going to get hit, often. we've been great against running qb's in the past but we really haven't played one this year. Braxton is the only running qb to do well against us in recent memory but they only scored 17. if the linebackers can contain DG on the ground, I don't think Michigan scores more than 14 points.

The extra week of preporation makes me a little edgy. I think the keys are Trae and Darquez, if they keep Michigan from having big plays downfield then the blitzes could cause havoc for Michigan. I don't think DG is a great player but at the same time I don't think he's bad, his turnovers in my opinion are mostly because their offensive line is really bad and too much is being asked of him. I just hope the offense shows up. Hopefully Langford and Williams get about 40 carries.

The o-line. Michigan's secondary stinks and their run defense is ok at best. If we can run the ball and give Cook a little time we should win a low scoring game. The second biggest key for me is the coaching staff not doing anything stupid. We shouldn't need big or trick plays to win this game. Hard-nosed, smash-mouth football.

Last edited:
The o-line. Michigan's secondary stinks and their run defense is ok at best. If we can run the ball and give Cook a little time we should win a low scoring game. The second biggest key for me is the coaching staff not doing anything stupid. We shouldn't need big or trick plays to win this game. Hard-nosed, smash-mouth football.

I don't know if it's a trick play but I expect some kind of wrinkle, just about every time he gets the ball it's on a jet sweep, i'd expect him to be used differently in this game

To me, the key to this game is Michigan's d line. They don't have a lot of depth there and our O line rotates to keep guys fresher, we have absolutely worn teams down running the ball in the 2nd half the last 4 games. Also, if Cook has all day to throw he will be very effective.

Defensively, it's all about Gardner, force him to make quick decisions and he'll turn it over. Have to have containment for when he takes off too.

...we have absolutely worn teams down running the ball in the 2nd half the last 4 games. Also, if Cook has all day to throw he will be very effective.

This is why the key to me is our o-line, not so much their d-line. They need to show they can run and pass block effectively against a better defensive front than Illinois and IU. Statistically, Iowa is probably the best defense we've seen yet (although I'm not convinced) and we didn't exactly run all over them - we beat them throwing mostly. The michigan secondary is suspect but I still think we need to establish the run to give Cook time and let plays develop - run first, set up the play action when it's there - beat them into submission in the second half.

This is why the key to me is our o-line, not so much their d-line. They need to show they can run and pass block effectively against a better defensive front than Illinois and IU. Statistically, Iowa is probably the best defense we've seen yet (although I'm not convinced) and we didn't exactly run all over them - we beat them throwing mostly. The michigan secondary is suspect but I still think we need to establish the run to give Cook time and let plays develop - run first, set up the play action when it's there - beat them into submission in the second half.

Iowa is no longer suspect to me. They gave Ohio State a tough game at OSU and just beat NW. Iowa is 5-3 with its 3 losses being to all ranked teams who have a combined 23-1 record. They lost those games by an average of 8 points. We beat Iowa handily and if not for a couple stalled drives it could have been a blowout, we did it @ Iowa.

The Iowa win is a big reason why the line has moved to MSU -6 for Saturday's game.

Last edited:
Back