Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Xbox One for $227?

Gulo Blue

There's a MtDew/Doritos promotion where you punch in codes for points and spend the points in auctions. The items up for bid are the next Xboxes. The 1st few went for very high point totals (like $1,200 worth of junkfood), but the number came down quickly. Based on the 1st day's numbers, it looks like you'd be able to get an Xbox for $227 worth of junkfood by the end of the promotion. My guess is that the number will be higher than that, but if that projection holds...it's not a bad deal. If it gets down to about $300, I bet word will spread and there will be a mini run on Doritos and Mt Dew. It seems like that would happen before the price drops too low.

Last edited:
So how much does someone need to spend on Dew and Chips?

Get the PS4 @ $399. Better system anyway..

So how much does someone need to spend on Dew and Chips?

Get the PS4 @ $399. Better system anyway..

That's what I'm guessing at, last night, the cheapest one went for about $450 worth of Dew and chips. The rate of the price dropping looks like a power curve and fitting a power curve to it yields a projection of the price getting down to $227 worth of Dew and chips by the end of the promotion. But I doubt it will get that low. People would jump on that. Tomorrow I'll probably add a second days worth of data to the excel sheet. It's really easy. I don't even have to sort the data.

I'll expand on my thoughts: I can't say I'm a PS fan-boy since the PS3 has been the only console I've ever owned. But why would people who buy the X-box One be forced the Kinect. You get it but for $100 more. It'd be sitting in my drawer if I decided to buy the Xbox. Oh well..

The website isn't working properly and I can't get yesterday's bids, but if you were to get all your codes via 88 cent 2-liters (which I just saw in the store) and the bids follow the trend (I don't think they will), that would knock the price down to $162 (plus tax) by the end of the promotion. The lower bids that I've seen were around $334 at 88 cent per 2-liter.

I found a 200+ page thread on the thing.

geeze

http://slickdeals.net/f/6092168-mtn...romotion-1-17-14-no-buying-of-points?page=218

I think there are going to be people out there that spend $200 on junk food thinking they'll get an xbox that end up with just $200 worth of junk food.

Last edited:
The points dropping has really slowed down. Cheapest one yesterday was about 33,100 points. Curve fit projects to 24,830 points which is about $248 of junk food. Not that much shifting from the Day 1 projection.

What the hell would someone do with $248 worth of junk food. Damn. That's about 75 boxes of Twinkies.

Last edited:
I haven't been watching all along so I'm not sure how low the price got, but it's back up now...near the full price of an xbox.

I don't think they dropped under $300 for the record. Didn't watch all that closely after my previous last post.

My daughter and I were playing Call of Duty Ghosts on our newly received XBox One. While Ps4 may be better to the "experts" here, I am here to tell you it is awesome.

Of course we each played the campaign twice in the first 48 hours, then started on-line. Only thing I was disappointed in, was the Online play was pretty much the same. I am not a newb, but I can't help wondering how frickin' better other players are at aiming. Has it already been hacked?

Anyone else playing COD Ghosts on Xbox One?

Last edited:
Most people buy one or the other based on exclusives. I need MLB the Show..plus they have done others I like. Add in the fact the Xbox exclusives will most likely get to the PC. That's why I chose..

The big sell for the PS3 over the 360 was the Blu-Ray player. I know about a dozen people who bought PS3's just because of that.

But since there is zero backwards compatibility with either console now, I know a couple guys who were talking about going over to Xbox because they hated the playstation networks security problems and instability at times.

Personally I just cant see spending $400-500 on a console, plus $60 a game just to play the latest thing. I get too bored too easily to drop that kind of dough.

The big sell for the PS3 over the 360 was the Blu-Ray player. I know about a dozen people who bought PS3's just because of that.

But since there is zero backwards compatibility with either console now, I know a couple guys who were talking about going over to Xbox because they hated the playstation networks security problems and instability at times.

Personally I just cant see spending $400-500 on a console, plus $60 a game just to play the latest thing. I get too bored too easily to drop that kind of dough.

Consoles are not just a gaming machine. And not all games are 60 bucks. I get why you might not want one but there are other reasons. And for me and people like me, disabled and work a few hours a week - I'd go crazy if when my family is busy I have nothing else to do..

Consoles are not just a gaming machine. And not all games are 60 bucks. I get why you might not want one but there are other reasons. And for me and people like me, disabled and work a few hours a week - I'd go crazy if when my family is busy I have nothing else to do..

Yeah, I get that, which was why I said personally. I know others who use them for netflix and whatnot, but just as far as I'm concerned, I get bored with things too quickly. I had a Wii for a while when it was the hot item, played it for like a month then it literally never got used for over a year, just collected dust. I finally gave it to my nephew when his quit working.

Yeah, I get that, which was why I said personally. I know others who use them for netflix and whatnot, but just as far as I'm concerned, I get bored with things too quickly. I had a Wii for a while when it was the hot item, played it for like a month then it literally never got used for over a year, just collected dust. I finally gave it to my nephew when his quit working.

Imo, sports games or open world games are the best because you can play them for a long time. It's the ones where you pay 60 bucks that has only 10 hours of play. Sometimes I get bored of games, that's when I go to eBay etc and sell them.

I guess it's not the most useful thing for an adult..worse things you could use your money on though I guess..

Last edited:
Back