Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

trevor ariza anyone?

jakebernatyo

since this team is absolutely horrid defending on the perimeter, wouldn't it make sense to go after a proven wing defender like ariza? he's gonna be on the trading block soon with porter coming back and webster playing well. do we have the pieces to get a deal done?

ideally, i'd love a deal like, jerebko, bynum, and singler for ariza whose contract is expiring giving us a little more flexibility to retain monroe.

jennings, ariza, smith, monroe, and drummond with chauncey, stuckey, KCP, and gigi off the bench looks much better than what we have...

since this team is absolutely horrid defending on the perimeter, wouldn't it make sense to go after a proven wing defender like ariza? he's gonna be on the trading block soon with porter coming back and webster playing well. do we have the pieces to get a deal done?

ideally, i'd love a deal like, jerebko, bynum, and singler for ariza whose contract is expiring giving us a little more flexibility to retain monroe.

jennings, ariza, smith, monroe, and drummond with chauncey, stuckey, KCP, and gigi off the bench looks much better than what we have...

The Pistons will have plenty of money to retain Monroe if they want to keep him. CV and Stuckey are gone after this year which clears up about $17M. I think the Pistons only have about $43M under contract for next year and the cap should be around $60M

Money aside, we also get a solid player who has size, can defend and knock down the 3. I like the idea, but I doubt those 3 guys you suggested are enough to get him. Singler's play at the moment is horrific.

Guys like Ariza are appealing to contenders as well, most of whom likely have more to offer than we do, but I supposed we can still hope...

Last edited:
Money aside, we also get a solid player who has size, can defend and knock down the 3. I like the idea, but I doubt those 3 guys you suggested are enough to get him. Singler's play at the moment is horrific.

Guys like Ariza are appealing to contenders as well, most of whom likely have more to offer than we do, but I supposed we can still hope...

the money aspect is more because i don't believe we need to be paying jerebko and bynum a combined 7 million a year for the next two seasons. that money might as well go to monroe/retaining ariza instead.

i really like ariza's fit with the team though. we still don't have a SF that can lockdown the quicker and more athletic 3's in the league. maybe a few 2nd rounders could sweeten the deal? singler is much better than he's showed this season thus far. he's a rotation player on any team in the league.

Last edited:
i know this sounds crazy, but say we did swing that deal for ariza (singler, bynum, and jerebko), smith might be best utilized off the bench in a harden/odom-esque role.

think about it, you have a balanced starting lineup with jennings, stuckey, ariza, monroe, and drummond. then you have chauncey, KCP, gigi, and smith off the bench. in other words, the court will open up with shooters when smith comes in. then he could run the big 4-5 P&R with moose/drummond all day...

our defensive lineup could be stuckey, KCP, ariza, smith, and drummond...

i really like that idea.

While Ariza seems like a pretty solid option, I'm not sure the team would do it. Right now they should already be playing all 96 minutes of the frontcourt by staggering Smith-Monroe-Drummond. The three together have been a train wreck on both sides of the court. This is been a painfully obvious issue since we signed Smith in the first place. If Cheeks can't figure that out by now, I doubt the addition of Ariza would change his ability to make better lineups.

I think the best case scenario is finding a high end package for Monroe or Smith.

Two deals that seem to makes sense:
Josh Smith to Orlando for Arron Afflalo and Tobias Harris. Smith is easily the best player in the deal, though Afflalo is shooting great so far. Harris is still hurt, but would eventually take over at SF. Afflalo fits Detroit's needs perfectly as an above average defender and elite shooter. Harris is young and played well at the end of last year. Orlando opens up a starting spot (and tons of minutes) for their future focal point Victor Oladipo. As well, they turn the PF spot from a train wreck (starting Jason Maxiell) to a strength.

Greg Monroe to San Antonio for Kawhi Leonard and Boris Diaw. San Antonio spent significant money extending Tiaggo Splitter last year to be their heir apparent to Duncan. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown the actual ability to carry any significant offense. Enter Greg Monroe, a 20-10 young PF/C who could legitimately take over for Duncan after retirement (which could very well be this summer) alongside Splitter and a host of quality wings. Kawhi has already been reduced to a backup this year due to the more steady play of Bellineli, but is still an elite defender who should regain his 3 point stroke in time. Diaw is something of a throw in - he helps our rotation by taking minutes from our terrible backups bigs, and would be superfluous in San Antonio with Monroe on board.

While Ariza seems like a pretty solid option, I'm not sure the team would do it. Right now they should already be playing all 96 minutes of the frontcourt by staggering Smith-Monroe-Drummond. The three together have been a train wreck on both sides of the court. This is been a painfully obvious issue since we signed Smith in the first place. If Cheeks can't figure that out by now, I doubt the addition of Ariza would change his ability to make better lineups.

I think the best case scenario is finding a high end package for Monroe or Smith.

Josh Smith to Orlando for Arron Afflalo and Tobias Harris. Smith is easily the best player in the deal, though Afflalo is shooting great so far. Harris is still hurt, but would eventually take over at SF. Afflalo fits Detroit's needs perfectly as an above average defender and elite shooter. Harris is young and played well at the end of last year. Orlando opens up a starting spot (and tons of minutes) for their future focal point Victor Oladipo. As well, they turn the PF spot from a train wreck (starting Jason Maxiell) to a strength.

Greg Monroe to San Antonio for Kawhi Leonard and Boris Diaw. San Antonio spent significant money extending Tiaggo Splitter last year to be their heir apparent to Duncan. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown the actual ability to carry any significant offense. Enter Greg Monroe, a 20-10 young PF/C who could legitimately take over for Duncan after retirement (which could very well be this summer) alongside Splitter and a host of quality wings. Kawhi has already been reduced to a backup this year due to the more steady play of Bellineli, but is still an elite defender who should regain his 3 point stroke in time. Diaw is something of a throw in - he helps our rotation by taking minutes from our terrible backups bigs, and would be superfluous in San Antonio with Monroe on board.

I would love to trade Smith for Afflalo

Last edited:

i'd do both deals in a heartbeat. a frontcourt of leonard/smith/drummond would be devastating defensively.

monroe and singler for leonard and diaw. sign me up. this needs to happen.

Tobias Harris is going to be a star, I'm not sure if the Magic are keen on trading him.

Keep in mind that even Tobias Harris' explosion post trade last year looks pretty much like a normal Josh Smith year minus the elite defense. Even if we assume that is a new level of play for Harris (which is unlikely), Smith has proven to be better for several years now.

Keep in mind that even Tobias Harris' explosion post trade last year looks pretty much like a normal Josh Smith year minus the elite defense. Even if we assume that is a new level of play for Harris (which is unlikely), Smith has proven to be better for several years now.

I didn't say he was better than Smith now. He wouldn't need to be because we would also get Afflalo in the deal.

I didn't say he was better than Smith now. He wouldn't need to be because we would also get Afflalo in the deal.

I know. I thought you were trying to say that Orlando wouldn't trade him, and I was just pointing out that Orlando still easily gets the best player in the deal. While Afflalo as an elite shooter is perfect for our needs, he's not actually an elite player. He generally tries hard on defense, but is unathletic by NBA standards. He's only above average defensively. Also, while he's had several big games in the last few years, he's not generally a guy who can create his own shot effectively.

Josh Smith is actually very good at basketball, often one of the top 15 most positively impactful players in the league. It hard to see that on the Pistons because we are so absolutely ill-suited to utilize him. But a team like Orlando, who has needs all over the place, is perfectly happy to utilize whatever elite skills Smith does have while letting the rest of the roster shore up his weaknesses.

I know. I thought you were trying to say that Orlando wouldn't trade him, and I was just pointing out that Orlando still easily gets the best player in the deal. While Afflalo as an elite shooter is perfect for our needs, he's not actually an elite player. He generally tries hard on defense, but is unathletic by NBA standards. He's only above average defensively. Also, while he's had several big games in the last few years, he's not generally a guy who can create his own shot effectively.

Josh Smith is actually very good at basketball, often one of the top 15 most positively impactful players in the league. It hard to see that on the Pistons because we are so absolutely ill-suited to utilize him. But a team like Orlando, who has needs all over the place, is perfectly happy to utilize whatever elite skills Smith does have while letting the rest of the roster shore up his weaknesses.

You are on crack! For a PF he is an inefficeint scorer, a terrible free throw shooter that plays good defense. He has never been a top 15 player in the league and it is evident in that he didn't get a max offer when he was a FA. I don't think there were many teams interested in him.

Some of those trades make sense now, but it takes time for teams to gel, especially when they are filled with young players It's not even easy for older players, either (Nets). Singler isn't going to continue to miss those corner threes. Our rotations and pick and roll defense was much improved against Sacramento, last night (I realize these posts were before the game - just pointing out improvement).

You are on crack! For a PF he is an inefficeint scorer, a terrible free throw shooter that plays good defense. He has never been a top 15 player in the league and it is evident in that he didn't get a max offer when he was a FA. I don't think there were many teams interested in him.

Smith has been top 15 in value added and wins added multiple times. Keep in mind that Smith is a much like last year's Paul George. George was widely considered to have taken the leap into stardom, but was actually in inefficient scorer himself. Both Smith and George derive their primary value from defense, where both are elite. Smith has also always been a quality passer, which helps mitigate his poor shooting. You can't judge him box score to box score against guys like Chris Bosh or Blake Griffin, whose almost entire value is offense. Of course he's going to look bad when the only think you measure is scoring/scoring efficiency.

Team have, historically, always overvalued scoring. It's why there are so many max contracts on all-around bad players (Rudy Gay, for example), but why nearly every pundit looking at the free agents last year conceded Josh Smith was worth very close to the max. The problem, again, is that the Pistons are poorly put together. Context is everything when it comes to non-superstars.

Back