Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chris Petersen

bamf_16

Joe Schad tweeting that he's withdrawn from the USC coaching search.

Maybe this guy just doesn't want to leave Boise? He's a legend there, has job security for awhile, and maybe he's happy in that lifestyle.

But for most of us, who expect coaches to go for the money, the fame, and the championships (the playoff for which restricts teams like Boise) how much longer does his name have luster to it?

If he waits much longer to make a push out of Boise, I wonder what his prospects are.

Joe Schad tweeting that he's withdrawn from the USC coaching search.

Maybe this guy just doesn't want to leave Boise? He's a legend there, has job security for awhile, and maybe he's happy in that lifestyle.

But for most of us, who expect coaches to go for the money, the fame, and the championships (the playoff for which restricts teams like Boise) how much longer does his name have luster to it?

If he waits much longer to make a push out of Boise, I wonder what his prospects are.

I dunno... maybe he smart enough to figure out that it's easier to win lots of games at Boise and be a legend there.

being the major employer and draw in a small market state like Idaho has it's advantages, mainly being a legion of local hick businessmen willing to "fund" recruiting, and a local media & campus administration willing to look the other way.

plus, look at what happened to the last big name Boise State coach to leave for a real program.

I dunno... maybe he smart enough to figure out that it's easier to win lots of games at Boise and be a legend there.

being the major employer and draw in a small market state like Idaho has it's advantages, mainly being a legion of local hick businessmen willing to "fund" recruiting, and a local media & campus administration willing to look the other way.

plus, look at what happened to the last big name Boise State coach to leave for a real program.

Hawkins at Colorado?

"It's Division 1 Football! It's the Big 12! Go play intramurals!"

Hawkins at Colorado?

"It's Division 1 Football! It's the Big 12! Go play intramurals!"

Bingo.

I think he's weighing the choice between being the Bear Bryant of the WAC or the risk he could be unemployable in a couple years, like Hawkins is now.

though there's a chance it could just be that USC is not a fun place to coach right now

ESPN is announcing Petersen to Washington.

Washington is really having trouble getting back to being an elite team.

Odd choice considering some of the other offers he's received over the years. Guess he likes cold weather...

I dont know if he would have gotten the USC job. I think he withdrew his name after he knew he didnt get the job. I also think if he was ever going to leave Boise now was the time. Boise upgraded to a better conference and since then they hadnt won as much. The shine was slowly coming off of them and the big name programs were going to stop looking his way soon. I do think he is a good fit at UW than he would have been at USC, There is less pressure at UW and he is more laid back than USC likes. They prefer the out front charismatic showtime type of guys.

Odd choice considering some of the other offers he's received over the years. Guess he likes cold weather...

There was a blog or some story or whatever I remember reading back during the big RR debates among the UM fanbase. The gist of the report was the correlation between a coach's success and his familiarity with the region and its importance in recruiting. RR had a history of recruiting kids from outside the Big 10 footprint, and it predicted future struggles with him in that regard. I've often wondered how it's hampered him in recruiting in the west now that he's at Arizona. For a time, I was hoping he'd take one of the many head coaching jobs at Pitt, thinking it'd be attractive for those reasons.

For Peterson, I'd have to think that recruiting for Boise and for UW would be the same turf and territory with the same high school coaches with whom he's used to dealing and communicating.

Yeah...and that thought crossed my mind as I typed the quip about cold weather. I hope he does well. I've always liked him and what he did at Boise. Hopefully he fares better than his predecessor did in his move to Colorado.

Back