Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NBC's "The Sound of Music Live!"

tinselwolverine

Did anybody else see this?

My opinion is pretty much the same as the status quo of the reviews - Carrie Underwood's rendition of the songs was awesome, and she's pretty as a pea, but her acting sucked. Also, because she was performing live on stage, she really didn't have the choice to address the music as lyrically as Julie Andrews was able too - but that's okay; that's the nature of live theater.

I don't listen to her music, and I only found out yesterday that she once won American Idol.

I don't know how "live" it was; I would have seen the taped West Coast feed.

I had never a stage version of The Sound of Music before - there were significant differences in the chronology of the songs, and a fairly significant plot detail or two from the iconic movie; that said, that's not unusual; when a stage musical is made into a film often a number of things are different; when I performed in West Side Story at Michigan in 1983, there were a lot of things that were different from the movie.

There were also a few addtional numbers that weren't included in the movie; I would imagine they are from the original Rogers and Hammerstein score.

They were trying to sell the DVD like it was nobody's business during the commercials; if anyone is curious I wouldn't buy it; I'd wait until somebody I knew had it, and borrow it.

Anyhoo, it was interesting to see it for the novelty, and that's about it.

For me, from now on, I'll stick with the classic film version from the 60s.

Ha, ha...I just listened to some Carrie Underwood songs; and I didn't recognize any of them.

But this is a little funny - I just saw an episode of How I Met Your Mother the other day that she's on.

Now, before last night, all I knew about Carrie Underwood that she's some country singer chick - I wouldn't even have known what she looked like.

I was looking over her filmography on line, and I noticed she had done an episode of How I Met Your Mother, so I looked the episode up on line, and realized it was the episode I had just seen - and I remembered that when I had seen her, I wondered "wow - who is that? She's pretty hot!!!"

I actually kind of like her music. She did a cross-over song called "Before He Cheats" that charted pretty high.

. . . and yeah she is hot.

CARRIE-UNDERWOOD-on-Late-Night-with-Jimmy-Fallon-in-New-York-1.jpg

Carrie%252BUnderwood%252BCarrie%252BU.jpg

carrie_underwood2.jpg

I wouldn't recognize her among the sea of pretty faces that came up through the "talent" shows on the networks, and are distinguished mainly by their willingness to sign whatever contract the network puts in front of them.

I'm sure you can find 1,000 starlets just like her in any given large American city (and a lot more in LA) but it's not like most americans know any better.

she's no Julie Andrews, Olivia Newton-John, or the hundreds of other more talented singer/actesses we've known over the years that I'm too lazy to type.

I wouldn't recognize her among the sea of pretty faces that came up through the "talent" shows on the networks, and are distinguished mainly by their willingness to sign whatever contract the network puts in front of them.

I'm sure you can find 1,000 starlets just like her in any given large American city (and a lot more in LA) but it's not like most americans know any better.

she's no Julie Andrews, Olivia Newton-John, or the hundreds of other more talented singer/actesses we've known over the years that I'm too lazy to type.

She is no Barbara Streisand either . . . and as stated - acting isn't really her gig. So what is your point?

She is wealthier, and has more charted singles than most of the other 1000 starlets "just like her" that you are too lazy to name.

Are you being contrary just to be contrary??

She is no Barbara Streisand either . . . and as stated - acting isn't really her gig. So what is your point?

She is wealthier, and has more charted singles than most of the other 1000 starlets "just like her" that you are too lazy to name.

Are you being contrary just to be contrary??

no. I really believe the things that I am saying, and I am stating my opinions here.

Sorry, didn't mean to get snotty. You started a sentence "I am sure you could . . . " - which seemed to go beyond just your opinion. My mistake.

Also, you mean you don't think she is hot? I rather you just say thank you for the pictures. :*)

Sorry, didn't mean to get snotty. You started a sentence "I am sure you could . . . " - which seemed to go beyond just your opinion. My mistake.

Also, you mean you don't think she is hot? I rather you just say thank you for the pictures. :*)

I see comparable women every day on my commute... so seeing pictures of her is just another pretty face to me.

I have to agree with 'champ here. What's so great about her?

I have to agree with 'champ here. What's so great about her?

I dunno. maybe she's anti-abortion, or a Tea Partier or something, and that's why KAWDUP is interested in her. it's not often you find a looker among that bunch...

purple-heart-band-aid.jpg

A heard a report - I think it was from CNN's entertainment correspondent - that members of the Von Trapp family wanted Anne Hathaway.

She would have been good all around.

I dunno. maybe she's anti-abortion, or a Tea Partier or something, and that's why KAWDUP is interested in her. it's not often you find a looker among that bunch...

That may be how you decide what is hot, but that isn't what I was thinkin' of.

SO . . . if I found you a flaming liberal progressive elitist atheist, that looked like your posted pic, you would go after her? More power to ya champ.

Last edited:
We probably have a different meaning of "hot". She's pretty but certainly not oh damn moment.

Like I posted in a post above, when I saw her on a re-run of How I Met Your Mother and didn't know who she was, she caught my eye.

On the other hand, the hot chick I'm lookin' at at any given time is probably gonna be hotter to me than the hot chick I looked at yesterday, who, conversely, was hotter than the hot chick I looked at the day before.

Like I posted in a post above, when I saw her on a re-run of How I Met Your Mother and didn't know who she was, she caught my eye.

On the other hand, the hot chick I'm lookin' at at any given time is probably gonna be hotter to me than the hot chick I looked at yesterday, who, conversely, was hotter than the hot chick I looked at the day before.

So basically you look at hot chicks all day. The life of tinsel :nod:

We probably have a different meaning of "hot". She's pretty but certainly not oh damn moment.

"certainly not oh damn moment" ??

Agreed, if I get your drift. I certainly know women that I rate as a 8-9 are 3-4's to certain others. To me she is an 8+.

I think I need to spend a day following champ around. I might not come back.

:*)

So basically you look at hot chicks all day. The life of tinsel :nod:

Ha!

It's like the principal of "out of sight, out of mind," or the following famous quote:

"Eye candy what ain't currently visible don't do me no freakin' good." - Abraham Lincoln

Back