Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Andrew Luck #1 Pick 2012

beez

I was just thinking about all the hype around this kid. I'll go into this saying I think he's very talented and from what I've seen, appears to be an NFL QB, but is he being annointed next years #1 to early? He's had one really good season. If he has a bad senior year I wonder if/where he would fall to. If Landry Jones and some of the other future NFL arms would light it up and Luck would falter for a good stretch, do you think they'd pass him up on draft boards?

Just seems wierd that people are saying teams would be willing to throw games to get a shot at this kid at #1. Even if it means Carolina taking him a year after selecting a QB #1. (I dont think that would happen but who knows.)

He's good but is he that much better than anyone we've seen in recent memory? Of any qb drafted in the last 10 years or so can you think of any that were the #1 pick before and after the season started? I guess a lot of it comes from him pressumably being the #1 choice last year if he would have come out.

Just wanted to get some opinions out there. Is he THAT good? Is he the 1st CAN'T MISS QB the draft has seen in awhile?

He is pretty good, reason why he is considered the #1 for next year ALREADY. Is because he would of been #1 by far in this past draft. And right now in College there isn't any QB that could challenge him at being the best QB in the draft next year.

Personally I think he'll be the #1 QB taken as long as he doesnt collapse this year. What do you think about #1 overall though if Carolina would end up there? Do you really htink they'd take him? I don't. Would be an easy spot to trade out of though. I imagine there would be a handful of team willing to give up some serious picks for that spot.

With the new rookie structure I could see a team trading up for him. As for him being the overall #1 a lot of things can happen during the season just look at locker to see how quickly things can change.

all depends who ends up with the #1....Carolina wouldn't take him , nor some other teams who invested high picks in QBs.

I remember after Marino's Junior year, it was awesome, he came back and him and Pittsburgh had an average year. Probably why he was picked so late. These days Luck would have to have some bad season to drop far.

But he does have the skill set, strong arm, pro system etc. I just don't know. And throwing games, no that won't happen.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I remember after Marino's Junior year, it was awesome, he came back and him and Pittsburgh had an average year. Probably why he was picked so late. These days Luck would have to have some bad season to drop far.

But he does have the skill set, strong arm, pro system etc. I just don't know. And throwing games, no that won't happen.

I agree about the throwing games. Sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe if you're already out of it in week 15 you play a back up qb or something to "see what you've got" but throwing seasons? Get outta here.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I remember after Marino's Junior year, it was awesome, he came back and him and Pittsburgh had an average year. Probably why he was picked so late. These days Luck would have to have some bad season to drop far.

Not 100% on this but I believe I heard something about drug rumours for why Marino fell so far.

Maybe but he did have a sub par year. And I think that had him dropping the most.

Maybe Luck is one worthy, maybe the Colts select him? Colts don't run the ball well, defense gave up 28 PPG so I don't see them winning much if Peyton doesn't come back this season.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Maybe Luck is one worthy, maybe the Colts select him? Colts don't run the ball well, defense gave up 28 PPG so I don't see them winning much if Peyton doesn't come back this season.

As bad as they COULD be, I'll just give them 6 wins for being the Colts. They'll find a way to do at least that imo. Jax has nothing at QB unless the rook lights it on fire later, and the Titans could be the favorite with Hasselbeck/Locker at the helm. lol There are some winnable games even without Peyton.

If Peyton isn't playing, I don't see them winning six. You'll see how valuable he is. Its not like when Brady went down and Cassell won 10 games.

schles192 said:
[color=#006400 said:

Not 100% on this but I believe I heard something about drug rumours for why Marino fell so far.

They weren't rumors it was true...Marino had a drug problem, pretty well known around the 'burgh at the time. He was also apparently a pretty big asshole too...

rookie wage scale brings back the idea that the best players will be drafted according to need instead of quarterbacks being the only position that makes sense to shell out 72 million too. He'll be the first qb off the board. It doesnt mean he'll be the first pick anymore.

Well looks like you were right about the Colts lol

I don't sere them winning a game. Peyton is the equalizer. The run game and defense were subpar last season. So without Manning to offset those numbers, they're in trouble.

I still don't understand why the colts brought Kerry Collins in, with no time to learn the offense. Curtis Painter already knows the system. At least the colts may win 2 or 3 games with Painter. I see an 0-16 season with Collins.

The Colts D is horrible!!!! With out Manning to carry the entire team on his back,this could be the worst team in NFL history

stonecold2136 said:
I still don't understand why the colts brought Kerry Collins in, with no time to learn the offense. Curtis Painter already knows the system. At least the colts may win 2 or 3 games with Painter. I see an 0-16 season with Collins.

The Colts D is horrible!!!! With out Manning to carry the entire team on his back,this could be the worst team in NFL history

Well that hsould tell you something about Painter I would think.

Back