Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Big Ten Expansion

michiganalex

why do you feel that the Big Ten went after Maryland and Rutgers and not Louisville or Cincinatti or other schools?

why do you feel that the Big Ten went after Maryland and Rutgers and not Louisville or Cincinatti or other schools?

Maryland, no idea

Rutgers, NY market.

Missouri would have been great if they would have came when Nebraska did. Louisville and Cinci are both meh....would have chose Pittsburgh over them imo.

louisville is a great basketball school and their football is routinely in the top 25

11 of the 12 big ten are AAU schools, Nebraska was when they joined and lost their certification.

Rutgers and Maryland are both in big TV markets, with current bundled cable pricing the BTN will move from being an add on sports tier to a basic cable channel in those markets. there will be a small fee paid by every cable subscriber in those areas that goes to the BTN.

it's not good for fans, not good for competition, but good for the bottom line. when it comes down to tradition and fans vs. money, you know how it will end up.

MSU,OSU, and Michigan on one side... To me our side appears much tougher..
Just my opinion.

Cincinnati would finally create an in state rival with Ohio State
Louisville would be great particularly for BBall with Michigan St. and Indiana

In my opinion Pittsburgh and Cincinnati make the most sense, but I totally understand why they went with Rutgers. Maryland on the other hand I don't know why. They're a good basketball program though, and their fans are pretty awesome. Watch this m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qoZxWAsk8

In my opinion Pittsburgh and Cincinnati make the most sense, but I totally understand why they went with Rutgers. Maryland on the other hand I don't know why. They're a good basketball program though, and their fans are pretty awesome.

I don't know if they're a "good" basketball program anymore...they certainly were and could be again, but right now I think they've been going through some lean times. It is only Turgeon's third year and he at least got them back to postseason play by making the NIT last year, but it's been a bit of a drought as far as the Big Dance goes...

I don't know if they're a "good" basketball program anymore...they certainly were and could be again, but right now I think they've been going through some lean times. It is only Turgeon's third year and he at least got them back to postseason play by making the NIT last year, but it's been a bit of a drought as far as the Big Dance goes...

You're right, they're closer to ok than good. But they will be the last big ten team to win a national championship once they join the conference...unless someone from the big ten wins it all this year. They won it in 02 and MSU in 01.

Money.

In terms of research money and wealthy alumni, they fit right in. There was a report by some company called wealth-x that ranked schools by the number of ultra high net worth alumni. I forget exactly what the run was, but the Big Ten had every school from like ~13 to 20 except Maryland and Rutgers.

Louisville, Cincy, Pitt and Syracuse make the most sense other then Notre Dame

Evan Smotrycz will be a senior next year... Payback on Maryland I hope but in the end it was probably ok he transferred....I like Louisville, Cincy, Pitt and Syracuse make the most and Notre Dame ...But ND has always snubbed the BT so fuck them...

Money.

In terms of research money and wealthy alumni, they fit right in. There was a report by some company called wealth-x that ranked schools by the number of ultra high net worth alumni. I forget exactly what the run was, but the Big Ten had every school from like ~13 to 20 except Maryland and Rutgers.

it was money but I think it was more about the tv markets. the big ten network is available with basic cable in the big ten states, it's in a sports tier or higher package in other areas. if you can get all providers in tri state area and beltway to carry it in basic cable, that's a ton of tv revenue for the BTN

it was money but I think it was more about the tv markets. the big ten network is available with basic cable in the big ten states, it's in a sports tier or higher package in other areas. if you can get all providers in tri state area and beltway to carry it in basic cable, that's a ton of tv revenue for the BTN

I actually think there are competing forces. Nebraska was a football move. But when it comes to money, research dollars are at least as big a factor as TV markets. The natural tendency for fellow Big 10 researchers to be aware of and have higher opinions of eachother's research directly turns into more funding. Washington calls be researchers to evaluate proposals and determine what money gets invested where. How much bias does it take over the Big Ten $600M-$1B research budgets to matter more than whatever increase you might get to the ~$25M you get from the Big Ten Network? I was skeptical of the idea until the Big Ten launched a Lacrosse league and brought in Johns Hopkins as a lacrosse only member. That pretty much only makes sense from a research point of view.

In retrospect they probably should have grabbed Missouri when they had the chance. They wanted in in the worst way. They would have added something football-wise and are in a decent-sized TV market. I can see adding Rutgers or Maryland for the TV sets on the East Coast, but not both when both are pretty bad at football more often than not.

Syracuse would have added the second biggest market in the country outside of California

Back