Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Monroe for Otto Porter?

food4thought

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2014/01/greg-monroe-a-tradefree-agent-target-of-the-washington-wizards/

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/report-washington-wizards-want-greg-monroe/

Porter does everything well but nothing outstanding. We need shooters, and I don't remember Porter being known as a good perimeter shooter. Still, this would allow for Smith to be who he is, a stretch 4 instead of a 3, and Porter would get ample opportunity at the 3 considering his competition here. Another problem is that the Wizards would not be able to offer a 1st round pick in the deal because they already have dealt one that is yet to be fulfilled.

This would be huge gamble for Dumars, who needs to win now not later. But it would make the roster more balanced and set us up with a very talented young core of Drummond, Smith, Porter, and Caldwell-Pope going forward. I'm not sure about this one... what do you guys think?

Would be great but Ariza is the guy Washington wants to deal. I think they would like to keep Porter.

Joe whiffed not drafting Burke.. Could have moved Knight to the off guard...

Does anyone really believe this team is a win-now team? With a move or two? They need to tank for three years and get some young studs..

Joe whiffed not drafting Burke.. Could have moved Knight to the off guard...

I don't think Burke will end up being anything special. Probably a below average PG. A back court of Burke and Kinght would be way too small too.

I don't think Burke will end up being anything special. Probably a below average PG. A back court of Burke and Kinght would be way too small too.

I guess... But we are not winning with these current players...something needs to be done... We shall see on Burke..

Does anyone really believe this team is a win-now team? With a move or two? They need to tank for three years and get some young studs..

I believe the front office and coaching staff are in win now mode... whether the talent level would be sufficient to win given one or two realistic moves is debatable, depending on whether you mean competitive playoff team or championship contender. I am not sold on Jennings as the answer at PG, but there are already "some young studs" on the roster. This roster is actually pretty young overall, with only Billups and Bynum over 30. I don't think that Drummond, Monroe, and Smith are a good fit together, though. Smith is all but unmovable, Drummond should be going nowhere given his current production and upside. That leaves Monroe as the best realistic option to move out of those three. I can't see Monroe or Smith accepting a 6th man role, and after Monroe get's his new contract it would be unreasonable from a cap management standpoint to place either one on the bench.

I know people want to bash Dumars for the Smith signing, but I don't think he is the only problem. Monroe does not fit very well with Drummond because he doesn't have a good enough midrange game. Smith is actually better than Monroe in this regard, and is probably a better compliment to Drummond. Another good reason to consider shopping Monroe for the right return (a GOOD "3&D" perimeter player and a quality reserve big man).

JMO

Last edited:
I believe the front office and coaching staff are in win now mode... whether the talent level would be sufficient to win given one or two realistic moves is debatable, depending on whether you mean competitive playoff team or championship contender. I am not sold on Jennings as the answer at PG, but there are already "some young studs" on the roster. This roster is actually pretty young overall, with only Billups and Bynum over 30. I don't think that Drummond, Monroe, and Smith are a good fit together, though. Smith is all but unmovable, Drummond should be going nowhere given his current production and upside. That leaves Monroe as the best realistic option to move out of those three. I can't see Monroe or Smith accepting a 6th man role, and after Monroe get's his new contract it would be unreasonable from a cap management standpoint to place either one on the bench.

I know people want to bash Dumars for the Smith signing, but I don't think he is the only problem. Monroe does not fit very well with Drummond because he doesn't have a good enough midrange game. Smith is actually better than Monroe in this regard, and is probably a better compliment to Drummond. Another good reason to consider shopping Monroe for the right return (a GOOD "3&D" perimeter player and a quality reserve big man).

JMO

that is the problem. I think Joe D knows that this season is playoffs or he is gone. He will probably make a move that might get them to the 8 seed but will probably not be better in the long term. Like you said....this is a young team. They need to build for the next few years...not try and get to 6 games under .500 just to make a playoff appearance.

that is the problem. I think Joe D knows that this season is playoffs or he is gone. He will probably make a move that might get them to the 8 seed but will probably not be better in the long term. Like you said....this is a young team. They need to build for the next few years...not try and get to 6 games under .500 just to make a playoff appearance.

Could happen. I hope not, though. Monroe is to valuable a player to give away for a slightly above average player who is most likely on the down side of his career ark ~cough~ Ariza ~cough~ (although he is making 3's at a career high percentage this year). I would swap Stuckey for Ariza, but not Monroe.

Could happen. I hope not, though. Monroe is to valuable a player to give away for a slightly above average player who is most likely on the down side of his career ark ~cough~ Ariza ~cough~ (although he is making 3's at a career high percentage this year). I would swap Stuckey for Ariza, but not Monroe.

I think they can get the most in return for Monroe in the off season in a sign and trade. But, Joe D knows his job is on the line and he needs to win now. He will probably trade him during the season and get less in return.

How are they supposed to do that when 15 other teams are? There can't be THAT many young studs to go around. For a GM that is lazy way to build a team. Dumars needs to make moves, just better than the ones he has made. There are great options staring him in the face. Unfortunately he's too stubborn to act on them. He refuses to trade Monroe, Stuckey, Villanueva; He doesn't know what this team has or needs. All he did was make two worthwhile moves in the offseason and then lay in a chair the rest of the season to catch his breath. Joe D needs to take a page out of Dave Dumbrowski's book.

How are they supposed to do that when 15 other teams are? There can't be THAT many young studs to go around. For a GM that is lazy way to build a team. Dumars needs to make moves, just better than the ones he has made. There are great options staring him in the face. Unfortunately he's too stubborn to act on them. He refuses to trade Monroe, Stuckey, Villanueva; He doesn't know what this team has or needs. All he did was make two worthwhile moves in the offseason and then lay in a chair the rest of the season to catch his breath. Joe D needs to take a page out of Dave Dumbrowski's book.

It takes two to make a trade. I don't think there are people knocking down the door pffering up great players for Monroe, Suckey & CV.

True. Now I'm not much of a fan these days but this season after season of mediocrity must drive you guys crazy.

It all started when Dumars traded for Iverson.

Last edited:
Back