Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Classic Movies

Thumb

Champ's War Movie thread got me thinking, several of the ones we listed were older/classic movies.

Movies now are certainly more action packed, and visually stunning; but what about movies that made it without the lead actor looking like a GQ cover model [Pitt, Damon, Jackman, etc.] and tons of CGI effects.

So I though I'd list some of my favorite classics, and see what some others favorites are.

To Kill A Mockingbird
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Shane
Cape Fear (original)
King Kong (ditto)
One flew over the Cuckoos nest
The Untouchables
From here to Eternity
Spartacus
Scarface
Dances with Wolves
The Alamo
True Grit
The Birds
North by Northwest
The Man who shot Liberty Valance

2001 a space odyssey

tumblr_l2om5aoTTR1qz9b3ko1_500.gif

Champ's War Movie thread got me thinking, several of the ones we listed were older/classic movies.

Movies now are certainly more action packed, and visually stunning; but what about movies that made it without the lead actor looking like a GQ cover model [Pitt, Damon, Jackman, etc.] and tons of CGI effects.

So I though I'd list some of my favorite classics, and see what some others favorites are.

To Kill A Mockingbird
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Shane
Cape Fear (original)
King Kong (ditto)
One flew over the Cuckoos nest
The Untouchables
From here to Eternity
Spartacus
Scarface
Dances with Wolves
The Alamo
True Grit
The Birds
North by Northwest
The Man who shot Liberty Valance

Scarface doesn't deserve to be on that list. Somehow it became something it's not.

BTW, where is the Godfather trilogy?

Oh man, there are so many I'm not sure I could narrow it down. My favorite might be the one you listed already, North by Northwest.

Last edited:
um... my classic movies (war movies excluded):

Japan:
The Seven Samurai

France:
The Wages of Fear
The 400 Blows

Italy:
La Dolce Vita
The Bicycle Thieves
Rome: Open City
L'Avventura

Sweden:
The Seventh Seal
Through a Glass Darkly

Britain:
The Third Man

America:
The Godfather pts I & II
The Big Lebowski (according to me)
Chinatown
Citizen Kane
Cool Hand Luke
Dr. Strangelove
North By Northwest
Pulp Fiction
The Shawshank Redemption
The Verdict
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Roman Holiday
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
On the Waterfront
The Graduate
The Hustler

Australia:
Mad Max 1 & 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess also "Grapes of Wrath"

I never saw "Rebel Without a Cause" but that's probably another American one.

The fact that Blockbuster didn't carry a lot of these movies was what lead me to get Netflix back in 2007. Initially I wanted to see every "Best Picture" ever, and they only had a handful of them, and few older ones. I scrapped that idea because a lot of "best pictures" aren't worth it, but by reading about the movies I was watching, and the movies they cited as influences lead me to a lot of classics I never would've thought of, especially European films.

there are so many... maybe we should do this by decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned Roman Holiday which I left off my list, but should be on. A much better date movie than any of these Nicholas Sparks romantic comedies made made today.

If you find a girl who would rather watch Roman Holiday than The Lake House, you might have found a keeper.

Scarface doesn't deserve to be on that list. Somehow it became something it's not.

BTW, where is the Godfather trilogy?

Well IMO it does, but to each their own. And Godfather could have made the list, but I felt II was good, but not up to the original, and III was terrible.

Pulp fiction
The Shawshank Redemption
D Strangelove
Dances with wolves
Unforgiven
Fargo
Wild Bunch
A clockwork orange
Taxi
Lawrence of Arabia
Casablanca

so many others..