Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

it's time. tanking season is upon us...

jakebernatyo

for better or for worse, this talented, albeit flawed lineup as it's currently constructed simply isn't working. however, it's common belief that trading either monroe or smith for a perimeter player would greatly improve the team on both ends.

that presents us with a bit of a dilemma. it's common knowledge these days that the bobcats own our top-8 protected pick in 2014. we currently sit with the 10th worst record in the league with a few teams nipping at our heals who, in my opinion, should perform much better in the second half (cleveland, new york, boston, sacramento).

now, if we were to move just one of either smith/monroe, we more than likely improve record-wise, lose out on our pick, and get bounced in the 1st round.

what about moving both in an effort to join tankapalooza 2014? granted, smith's value at SF is piss poor, i fully believe teams see him as a PF being masqueraded as a SF. one team that could be interested in smith would be the surging suns who're open to moving some of their draft picks for proven stars. with okafor's deal expiring and a hole at PF, it really does seem like a tailored-fit for smoove who would fit right in with their up-tempo style of play. throw in washington's 2014 protected 1st rounder, and things suddenly make sense for both sides.

now, moving monroe's a little more complicated. personally, one player who i've been high on for some time due to his blend of defense and athleticism is moe harkless. though his perimeter shot is still shaky at the moment, it is rapidly improving. he'd team with KCP to form a dogged defensive duo (alliteration much??) on the perimeter. remember though, the idea here is to get worse in the present and stockpile draft picks to get better in the future. i'd jump on this deal: monroe and singler for harkless, maxiell, and a future 1st.

i'm aware that's probably selling monroe short a bit, but it's unlikely that we'd receive full value for him. that's just the nature of the business.

a lineup of jennings, KCP, harkless, ???, and drummond is young, but FULL of potential. throw in the fact that we'd hopefully have a lotto pick in next year's draft, and the future is beaming. if we were able to draft marcus smart and fully commit to a defensive identity, i'd be absolutely thrilled and be willing to deal with one last season of mediocrity and misdirection...

Last edited:
These is a great perspective, but unfortunately Joe D would rather sit on his hands and wait for the sack to come.

I am all aboard tankapalooza 2014... We need a something... New GM. Superstar player.. A decent coach.. So tired of the losing... but if we can lose and get better picks out of it it is ok by me.. This team should not be 17-27... But they are. Something is not working..

You can win a title without a superstar player, but The better GM and coach need to come into play.

This team is in a sad state right now. It's a GOOD lineup. They should at least be .500

The way Cheeks 'coaches' the games, it makes you wonder if they are tanking already.

They don't even try playing any defense, it's actually baffling how little effort the Pistons give on that end.

Also, he takes players out of the game that are performing well on a routine basis.

Yeah not a fan of his bench rotations either. Harrelson comes and goes for example. I'd like the see the Italian league MVP get a chance as well.

Yeah not a fan of his bench rotations either. Harrelson comes and goes for example. I'd like the see the Italian league MVP get a chance as well.

Yeah I agree. I want to see the Italian guy out there.

The way Cheeks 'coaches' the games, it makes you wonder if they are tanking already.

They don't even try playing any defense, it's actually baffling how little effort the Pistons give on that end.

Also, he takes players out of the game that are performing well on a routine basis.

Yup... They play no defense at all...

Back