Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Josh Smith worst shooter

tomdalton22

From insider...couldn't read it all.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10363711/nba-brick-index-identifies-nba-worst-shooter

At the season's midpoint, it's safe to say the Josh Smith era in Detroit isn't going so well.

Did you catch it in the first quarter of the Dallas Mavericks game Sunday? Smith backed down Shawn Marion on the left block, turned around and launched a contested fadeaway with 12 seconds left on the shot clock. The ball hit the backboard and caromed off out of bounds. That wasn't notable. What was notable was that it bounced off the top of the backboard. Yes, the top.

But that wasn't even the worst Josh Smith misfire of the season. That probably came Jan. 8 against the New York Knicks when he sized up Carmelo Anthony on the right elbow and unfurled a potential game-winning long 2 that looked as if it hit a wind gust midair and landed about three feet short of the rim. There was no wind gust. Just gasps from the Madison Square Garden audience.

That shot has been the microcosm of the Detroit Pistons' season so far: aiming high, falling way short. Smith, signed by longtime Detroit GM Joe Dumars this offseason for $54 million, has been the worst version of himself. There is nothing more deflating to a fan base than an ill-advised jumper. This long has been a Smith specialty, but his jump-shooting ability from deep has reached its nadir this season as the Pistons try to find some spacing with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond.

Josh Smith is another fuckup by Joe Dumars.

no other team wanted him, yet this moron signs him 4 years, 54 million.

to top it off, we didn't even need him with Drummond and Monroe at the 5/4.

Joe Dumars needs to be immediately removed from GM position, i'm so sick of this guy's moronic decisions.

Agree with X.... On the fire Joe D. bandwagon today.. Josh smith signing was freaking horrible along with a bunch of others since 2008...

Bf5yeQyCIAAwCR0.jpg

He is not a good fit. We never should have got rid of Calderon or signed Jennings either. Just think what this team would have been had they drafted Burke.

He is not a good fit. We never should have got rid of Calderon or signed Jennings either. Just think what this team would have been had they drafted Burke.

What is with the Burke love? He isn't good.

Burke
12.7 a game.
5.5 assists per game.. to 2 turnovers a game..
3.1 rebounds a game.

I mean it could be a lot better but it is way better then what we did draft..

He is light years ahead of Pope.... Would have put butts in seats....The team could have gone in a whole different direction..

pope has more upside and Burke wouldn't be getting much playing time. Even though Jennings is a chucker he is still a much better PG than Burke. As far as putting butts in the seats...only thing that does that is winning.

I hope your right but at
6.8 pts
0.8 assists
2.1 rebounds
Pope looks like a bust to me right now.....

Last edited:
From 1983-84 season on

Piston lead the league in attendance averaging over 690,000 per season for a few years....
1983-84....652,865 1st Silverdome Daly's first year..
1984-85....691,550 1st
1985-86....695,233 1st
1986-87....907,520 1st
1887-88...1,066,505 1st
1988-89....879,405...2nd first year at Auburn Hills.
1989-90....879,705....3rd
1990-91....879,614....2nd
1991-92....879,614....2nd
1992-93....889,614....2nd first losing year in a while..40-42
1993-94....806,641....5th...bad year....................... 20-62
1994-95....719,090....8th.
1995-96....730,573....10th 46-36..collins was coach...
1996-97....784,234....5th....54-28..
1997-98....794,567....7th....37-45...Collins fired Gentry finished..
1998-99....444,585....8th 29-21..shorten season...
1999-00....678,470....16th..42-40.
2000-01....607,323....22nd..37-52.
2001-02....Attendance: NA 50-32.
2002-03...Attendance: NA 50-32.
2003-04...Attendance: NA 54-28...world champions..

God I am bored... There is no point to this other then the silverdome held a lot of people...
LOL

Last edited:
I don't see much upside with Burke. I see Pope as an Arron Afflalo type player.

Seems like a stretch but time will tell. I see some good things in him but maybe the way they use him and inexperience has hurt him a little in these eyes.

What is with the Burke love? He isn't good.

He's actually having a pretty good season in fact some have him up there with the top in the ROY conversation with MCW.

He's definitely been more valuable than KCP.

KCP is a shooting guard who can't shoot all that well. That's kind of a big problem. He's probably an ok bench option. Maybe his shot will develop to the point where you are fine with him as a starter, but it certainly looks like a clear mistake to take him over Burke at this point.

I don't see much upside with Burke. I see Pope as an Arron Afflalo type player.

Is this the same Afflalo who is a solid NBA player? The same one the Pistons had who they tossed to the side? Don't even get me started on that.

Well, upside or not, he's a good NBA point guard RIGHT NOW. As opposed to KCP who is a bad NBA shooting guard. So I'll take the guaranteed decent production.

Also, on topic of the thread, Smith and Jennings, Dumars two big moves this off season, are killing this team. Both are terrible shooters, both take a ton of bad shots. Recipe for a bad year. It is frustrating as well because Jennings is capable of doing most other things very well, if he just stopped jacking up horrible shots he would actually be a pretty good PG.

Back