Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Josh Smith trade ideas

greenbeerd13

Now that Smoove is OTB (Shame it isn't Monroe instead), we can now ponder ideas. I'm interested in M Harkless, W Chandler, I Shumpert and H Barnes the most.

Gerald Wallace and a pick seems to be popular.

I've heard also that though Dumars wants to keep Monroe, the Wizards are still interested in him. This might keep Ariza and Porter also in the mix.

Last edited:
Get rid of him.... Build around Monroe and Drummond... I think you can win with both...

Only way they can move Smith in my opinion is if they include a future pick with him and take a bad contract in return. There were not a lot of teams interested in him as a free agent, add in his contract and the season he is having and there will be even less.

Monroe is the only moveable piece, personally i`d love to see them move him for Afflalo. Should have never got rid of him in the first place.

It better be a high first. All the Pistons get in that deal is garbage!

Len and Kidd-Gilchrist are both top 5 draft picks and are only 20 years old.

The Bobcats have hinted that they may move MKG and could put Stuckey in their starting lineup. The Suns, meanwhile don't even use Len. He could develop into a solid backup big for the time being (which means less of Harrelson.) Monroe is a guy who could start at center for Phoenix as well. The Pistons trade THREE bad contracts for one, and get a 1st.

We could potentially steal a guy who wasn't given a chance to develop by the team who drafted him, just like Milwaukee did with Brandon Knight. The only way I don't see Charlotte taking this trade is if they also want a pick for MKG. (I don't see Phoenix willing to give away two 1sts.)

Len and Kidd-Gilchrist are both top 5 draft picks and are only 20 years old.

The Bobcats have hinted that they may move MKG and could put Stuckey in their starting lineup. The Suns, meanwhile don't even use Len. He could develop into a solid backup big for the time being (which means less of Harrelson.) Monroe is a guy who could start at center for Phoenix as well. The Pistons trade THREE bad contracts for one, and get a 1st.

We could potentially steal a guy who wasn't given a chance to develop by the team who drafted him, just like Milwaukee did with Brandon Knight. The only way I don't see Charlotte taking this trade is if they also want a pick for MKG. (I don't see Phoenix willing to give away two 1sts.)

The Pistons wouldn't be trading 3 bad contracts...only one. Stuckey is actually performing up to his contract offensively. CV is a bad contract. As far as MKG...he is in his second year and really isn't producing. He and Len are top 5 picks but both are busts. If they trade Monroe they need to get a starting caliber player in return.

The Pistons wouldn't be trading 3 bad contracts...only one. Stuckey is actually performing up to his contract offensively. CV is a bad contract. As far as MKG...he is in his second year and really isn't producing. He and Len are top 5 picks but both are busts. If they trade Monroe they need to get a starting caliber player in return.

Don't forget about getting rid of Jerebko as well...

It's tough to call two 20 year old, top 5 picks busts. Especially Len who's only been given 9 minutes a game in his rookie season. A change in scenery or a change in supporting cast can sometimes make all the difference. Remember what I said about Brandon Knight, we thought he was a bust after last season, but 3rd year was the charm for him with a new team. It's worth the risk for a guy in Monroe who would be a mistake to sign to a max deal. Jennings/Bynum Singler/MKG, KCP/Gordon, Drummond/Len Smith/Harrelson/Adrien.. this takes Stuckey out of the mix (in my opinion Gordon can score as well as him), more potential, more flexibility, and a draft pick.

Don't forget about getting rid of Jerebko as well...

It's tough to call two 20 year old, top 5 picks busts. Especially Len who's only been given 9 minutes a game in his rookie season. A change in scenery or a change in supporting cast can sometimes make all the difference. Remember what I said about Brandon Knight, we thought he was a bust after last season, but 3rd year was the charm for him with a new team. It's worth the risk for a guy in Monroe who would be a mistake to sign to a max deal. Jennings/Bynum Singler/MKG, KCP/Gordon, Drummond/Len Smith/Harrelson/Adrien.. this takes Stuckey out of the mix (in my opinion Gordon can score as well as him), more potential, more flexibility, and a draft pick.

MKG is in his second season. He may get better but so far he doesn't seem like a starting caliber SF. Since the Pistons have Durmmond Len will be nothing more than a backup. So far he can't even get any playing time. Miles Plumlee is starting in front of a #5 pick! I personally think they should move Smith and sign Monroe but that probably won't happen. Monroe should get you more than just a few back up players. I think they need to get a starting caliber player in return for Monroe. That may mean they have to wait until the off season and do a sign and trade.

MKG is in his second season. He may get better but so far he doesn't seem like a starting caliber SF. Since the Pistons have Durmmond Len will be nothing more than a backup. So far he can't even get any playing time. Miles Plumlee is starting in front of a #5 pick! I personally think they should move Smith and sign Monroe but that probably won't happen. Monroe should get you more than just a few back up players. I think they need to get a starting caliber player in return for Monroe. That may mean they have to wait until the off season and do a sign and trade.

Well, either way I think you're writing off Len and MKG as busts far too early, but you have even agreed that MKG may get better. Personally I think there is a good chance that he does. Solid backup centers can also be huge assets. Len could get 15-20 minutes a game with Detroit. MKG would have to battle with Singler for a starting spot which could bring out the best in him. Like I say I think it's worth the risk. As far as Smith and Monroe goes, Monroe is better trade bait and Smith plays better defense, while putting up similar, if not better numbers at the PF position.

Don't forget we would also get a 1st in the deal from Phoenix.

Back