Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Sbee

crazy that he's gone, great actor, one of my favorites. I know that addiction is a real thing and it's a sickness but another part of me considers him a selfish prick for risking his life when he's a father of 3

crazy that he's gone, great actor, one of my favorites. I know that addiction is a real thing and it's a sickness but another part of me considers him a selfish prick for risking his life when he's a father of 3

sad news. he seemed like a smart guy... figure he could've recognized he had a problem.

He was supposed to pick up his kids on Sunday and didn't show up. That's why someone was sent to his apartment. Very sad.

RIP the guy who coined the phrase "I just sharted".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbDcnUH6rOc

ahahah-marvelous.jpg

Great actor no doubt. Doubt there will not be any peace in his rest. He made the ultimate poor decision amongst a life long struggle of them. Unfortunately, how can you explain this to the children or his family? The pain and suffering he must have put them through will continue for many a day to come. It just keeps rolling for these selfish types. They are so self-indulged and destroy the happiness of the people that love them. Then they have the unlimited supply of doctors and people telling them it is a disease when in all reality, is a choice.

Last edited:
I hate that the focus in the media is now on the drug dealers, they busted his dealer, big fucking deal. People want heroin so there's a market to sell it, not shocking. 3 more people in the prison industrial complex and more lives ruined.

we should focus on addiction and fighting the demand side of drug abuse, not the supply side, we'll never win that war. we now live in a society with for profit prisons and cops who get easier convictions for drug arrests so it helps their numbers, it's a new perpetual cycle. take all the $$ and resources and focus on the demand

As someone who has relied on opiates prescribed for pain relief, the pills, no matter what type or brand are becoming increasingly expensive to the point of being unaffordable w/o good prescription coverage or being on medicaid.

That is..IF you can find a phamacy that has your Rx in stock on a consistent basis, and they are not "back-ordered". Going to random pharmacies b/c your regular one(s) are out is frustrating, time-consuming, and costly in fuel use. Most, if not all will not tell you that they have any in stock over the phone b/c of fear of being robbed by addicts.

Obtaining heroin is MUCH easier and cheaper, however a patient can lose his or her family Dr, or at least the pain meds being prescribed, should he or she subject the patient to random drug screens during appointments like mine does, and discovers that you have illegal or non-prescribed traces of drugs in your system.

I don't know if that was what happened to Hoffman, but it seems like he has had painkiller Rx in the past, and was either cutoff or the dose reduced to the point of needing something stronger, yet illegal. Or perhaps he abused his pain meds to the point of running out long before he could obtain a refill or new scripts. Due to most states now having a centralized database to check patient histories, it is very difficult, if not impossible to Dr shop, and see more than one at a time in order to obtain the same or similar meds.

Obviously he was wealthy and had connections to drug dealers. The amount of heroin that was found in his apt suggests that he had built up a mega-tolerance to boy and likely shot up multiple times per day, just to avoid going through withdrawal, which off of heroin is pretty agonizing, and can land an addict in the hospital in a relatively short time.

Unless Hoffman could test the heroin that he purchased from dealers, there was no way for him to know the potential purity of each packet, nor what might have been added to it or "stepped on" to increase the dealers' profits and supply.

Last edited:
I hate that the focus in the media is now on the drug dealers, they busted his dealer, big fucking deal. People want heroin so there's a market to sell it, not shocking. 3 more people in the prison industrial complex and more lives ruined.

we should focus on addiction and fighting the demand side of drug abuse, not the supply side, we'll never win that war. we now live in a society with for profit prisons and cops who get easier convictions for drug arrests so it helps their numbers, it's a new perpetual cycle. take all the $$ and resources and focus on the demand

Drug use and alcoholism is an epidemic. The only reason there are treatment centers is due to classifying it as a disease thus getting insurance companies to pay. That has never been proven and probably never will because it is a choice. It starts in the home. Our immorally bankrupt society continues to feed this epidemic. Increase in divorce, single parent homes, and the absence of a man's identity in the family unit has pushed this phenomena to new heights. The demise of the traditional nuclear family is about extinct. As a result, we are seeing a progression of new immoralities and setting a society tolerance's for a "new normal." I suppose in a utopian society, the monetary system would not exist and probably firmly spear-head a societal recovery. As a society, we continue to function within a monetary system that in reality, enslaves us.

Last edited:
As someone who has relied on opiates prescribed for pain relief, the pills, no matter what type or brand are becoming increasingly expensive to the point of being unaffordable w/o good prescription coverage or being on medicaid.

That is..IF you can find a phamacy that has your Rx in stock on a consistent basis, and they are not "back-ordered". Going to random pharmacies b/c your regular one(s) are out is frustrating, time-consuming, and costly in fuel use. Most, if not all will not tell you that they have any in stock over the phone b/c of fear of being robbed by addicts.

man, reading this makes me realize how screwed up our laws are regarding these things.

there should never be a shortage of pills... it's cheap and easy to manufacture drugs. this is like a perfect storm of the drug companies working the patent & healthcare laws to create their artificially high-priced, protected market & criminal laws that treat addicts like criminals instead of diseased people (which is what they are).

funny imagining junkies calling up a pharmacy to check their stock before robbing the place though...

Junkies: "Hello, Walgreens? You got any opiates in stock?"
Walgreens: "Opiates? boy do we ever. Just got a shipment in here. Whaddya need? We got opiates practically spilling outta the pharmacy window... *sound of tires peeling out* and... hello? are you still there?"

man, reading this makes me realize how screwed up our laws are regarding these things.

there should never be a shortage of pills... it's cheap and easy to manufacture drugs. this is like a perfect storm of the drug companies working the patent & healthcare laws to create their artificially high-priced, protected market & criminal laws that treat addicts like criminals instead of diseased people (which is what they are).

funny imagining junkies calling up a pharmacy to check their stock before robbing the place though...

Junkies: "Hello, Walgreens? You got any opiates in stock?"
Walgreens: "Opiates? boy do we ever. Just got a shipment in here. Whaddya need? We got opiates practically spilling outta the pharmacy window... *sound of tires peeling out* and... hello? are you still there?"

I often wonder what our society did when there were no drugs?

According to some experts, we have become reliant on them as result of the chemicals we are ingesting from our processed food's. Additionally, there have been comprehensive studies done on various regions around the world and in areas where none of these food's or drugs exist. Funny how these people do not have cancer's, heart disease, or epidemics. They have longer life cycles and impenetrable family structures.

We need to wake up at what's being pushed on us. We are being duped. The mass media only tells us what they want us to hear and it's not a conspiracy theory either.

Last edited:
The US Rx consumers are the only ones who pay through the nose so that for-profit health insurers and Big Pharma can continue to reap mega-profits and/or fund their R&D.

No health insurer in the US should be able to profit from the diseases, illnesses, injuries, or genetic disorders of US citizens, IMO. They all should be mandated by federal law to become non-profits.

nice people read books, played croquet, drank tea, and discussed things.

others drank whiskey, played cards, fought duels.

People need distractions; the smart government would find ways to encourage the relatively harmless ones, and discourage the harmful ones, without resorting to prohibitions or other actions that lead to black markets & social diseases.

The US Rx consumers are the only ones who pay through the nose so that for-profit health insurers and Big Pharma can continue to reap mega-profits and/or fund their R&D.

No health insurer in the US should be able to profit from the diseases, illnesses, injuries, or genetic disorders of US citizens, IMO. They all should be mandated by federal law to become non-profits.

When a business's products include a social good, like healthcare, they shouldn't be for-profit I think. If you want to sell monocles, tophats, sports cars, yachts, perfume, jorts, NASCAR decals for your windshield, etc. go nuts. If your services/products involve commerce, correspondence, public health, energy, or public transportation, these should be subsidized, and heavily regulated.

According to some experts, we have become reliant on them as result of the chemicals we are ingesting from our processed food's. Additionally, there have been comprehensive studies done on various regions around the world and in areas where none of these food's or drugs exist. Funny how these people do not have cancer's, heart disease, or epidemics. They have longer life cycles and impenetrable family structures.

We need to wake up at what's being pushed on us. We are being duped. The mass media only tells us what they want us to hear and it's not a conspiracy theory either.

Ummm..in some developing nations, Big Pharma has off-shored their drug manufacturing there in order to cut overhead, and I have read that the runoff of chemicals used in manufacturing has tainted the groundwater and streams, creeks, rivers, ponds, and lakes to the point where test samples of supposedly "potable"water has abnormally high concentrations of these chemicals. The US also has increased amounts, b/c when people who use them excrete excess which of course goes through our septic or sewer systems, the latter which is treated before being flushed into rivers and lakes, but the drugs do not readily dissipate, so there are also increasing amounts in our tap water including hormones and contraceptives ...gahhh!

Last edited:
Ummm..in some developing nations, Big Pharma has off-shored their drug manufacturing there in order to cut overhead, and I have read that the runoff of chemicals used in manufacturing has tainted the groundwater and streams, creeks, rivers, ponds, and lakes to the point where test samples of supposedly "potable"water has abnormally high concentrations of these chemicals. The US also has increased amounts, b/c when people who use them excrete excess which of course goes through our septic or sewer systems, the latter which is treated before being flushed into rivers and lakes, but the drugs do not readily dissipate, so there are also increasing amounts in our tap water including hormones and contraceptives ...gahhh!

You read the about the WVa chemical spill? The amount of loopholes in federal and state environmental laws that allowed that to happen is pretty insane. There are something like thousands of chemicals exempted from environmental regulations, many of which have been studied little, if at all to screen for health effects. And yet there are people, well-funded lobbyists and trade groups that maintain we need to restrict environmental laws even further.

Kinda makes you want to move to another planet.

Its all about the bottom line for Big Pharma, and like Big Oil/Big Farm, they likely believe that the "tradeoff" is justified and that their business helps more than it hurts.

Suffered horribly and often died young?

Many of my ancestors are buried and have gravestones behind one of the oldest Roman Catholic churches in the NE corner of Detroit. Most died of "consumption" or tuberculosis. They built the first church outside of what was downtown Detroit in the early 1800s, called Assumption Grotto.

Can only imagine the pain suffered by injured soldiers in WWII and earlier, especially w/o anesthesia during amputations and undergoing surgery from severe internal wounds.

Last edited:
You read the about the WVa chemical spill? The amount of loopholes in federal and state environmental laws that allowed that to happen is pretty insane. There are something like thousands of chemicals exempted from environmental regulations, many of which have been studied little, if at all to screen for health effects. And yet there are people, well-funded lobbyists and trade groups that maintain we need to restrict environmental laws even further.

Kinda makes you want to move to another planet.

Watched the nightly news yesterday, apparently the water supply in hotels is not only undrinkable. but there are also warnings to not wash one's face with it either... for those who are visiting or reporting for the sports MSM in Sochi for the Winter Olympics. There was no mention of what the Olympians themselves are using for drinking/bathing water....hmmm.

Sochi%202014%20water%20toilet.jpg

imgres

Last edited:
Back