Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

thank god no more Johnny Weir

Sbee

god that fucker was annoying. I wasn't a big figure skating fan but he was on the news all the time and all over the olympic coverage

really? as far as olympics announcing goes, I thought Lipinski/Weir was the most tolerable. Everything else was canned-emotional crap from NBC, or the credulous "Wow-things-are-different-than-America-in-other-countries" type reporting that apparently resonates with the viewing audience here.

I thought it was hilarious that after Bob Costas' pink-eye problems came to light, Weir wore a hot-pink suit the next day to mock him

i just saw a special on his closet or treasures and he was going on and on about all this designer clothing that he has, his outfits, etc. it just got annoying after a while, so much focus on his clothing.

I agree with Champ, plenty of announcers/analysts were worse, far worse. The woman covering the ice dancing, she never. shut. the. fuck. up. the whole goddamn time.

Picabo Street was pretty bad at the ladies alpine events, she kept saying oh that's a mistake that will cost her!!....and 5 seconds later that person would finish in 1st. She seems like she knows nothing at all from watching other skiiers.

Scott Hamilton....his voice is like cyanide for your ears....I try not to wish cancer on people...but he really tries my patience. Side note: remember when John Tesh from Entertainment Tonight used to call the figure skating?

Alternately, I think the people calling the newer, non-traditional events were great, like snowboard half pipe, snow-cross, aerials, moguls, slopestyle, etc. All done X-games style, and I enjoyed them.

The biggest who gives a fuck moments for me though were the Mary Carrillo bits they kept doing about the Harding-Kerrigan saga, I mean who gives a fuck a decade later.

I almost wish NBC did not have a lock on the Olympics, so I wouldn't have to hear the same boring people every 2 years.

Are we complaining about Olympic announcers?

tomhammond.jpg

Last edited:
Are we complaining about Olympic announcers?

tomhammond.jpg

Hey, I think it is awesome to see companies other than just Disney pushing the envelope of advanced audio-animatronics. Seems like they need to work more on making the skin better, as he looks more like a wax figure, but I do believe Disney has a patent for their skin formula and their cosmetology team members had to have years of experience before they could even audition for their role, so they are relatively some of the best at creating lifelike hair and makeup for audio-animatronics, so there is that too. Still, competition is a good thing and helps justify money for R&D and striving to make AAs more realistic.

They've come a long way since Abe first spoke at Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln at the '64-'65 Worlds Fair, where some questioned where they found such a good actor to play the part of the President.

BTW, for those interested, that Worlds Fair was used by Walt Disney as a test for whether or not his newer attractions would work over long term use and whether the East Coast would flock to them. All four of his attractions (Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Carrousel of Progress, its a small world, and Magical Skyway...errr, People Mover) placed in the top 5 for attendance at the fair and as a result Walt was able to justify to financial backers the purchase of the land and eventual building of Walt Disney World...just unfortunate he passed away in '66. Originally Walt had wanted to purchase the land near Disneyland but Roy vetoed that option due to how expensive it would be, so Roy suggested building Walts second park out East, which led to the Worlds Fair test. Fortunately Roy lived to see WDW open and even proclaimed on Oct. 22, 1971 that hence forth the area would be known as "Walt" Disney World, so we would never forget whose dreams and inspirations inspired it all. Roy passed away that December.

And no, Walt was not frozen, he was cremated.

Last edited:
Back