Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Dumars will step down soon

grandy

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/3/5/5475040/Joe-dumars-leaving-detroit-pistons-report

"There might be close to a zero percent possibility that Isiah Thomas is tapped as the new GM of the Detroit Pistons after the season, but it is looking more and more certain that Joe Dumars is on the way out. And based on a report from Ric Bucher indicates Dumars might not be interested in taking a different, ceremonial post with the organization and may instead leave it all behind.

While reports dismiss the possibility of the Detroit Pistons supplanting their current GM, Joe Dumars, with his former championship backcourt mate, Isiah Thomas, sources do not expect Dumars to stay in the position much longer-either he'll step down or owner Tom Gores will go in a new direction. Dumars, one source said, is weary of the criticism he has received in trying to rebuild the Pistons after constructing a franchise that went to the Eastern Conference Finals six years in a row (2003-2008). The criticism, the source said, fails to account for a dismal Detroit economy and restraints placed on Dumars while the franchise was up for sale and ultimately changed ownership hands. Dumars could not be reached for comment.

I can understand Dumars being weary of criticism, it's just about all he's received since the moment he traded franchise favorite Chauncey Billups. And I personally am sympathetic to the constraints he allegedly had to deal with following the death of longtime owner Bill Davidson as the franchise was in transition.

But, look. In his position as the lead executive of the Pistons, Dumars has handed out $270 million to the likes of Richard Hamilton, Jonas Jerebko, Tayshaun Prince, Rodney Stuckey, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings. And to make room for those disastrous decisions, Dumars dealt away Amir Johnson, Arron Afflalo and a future first-round pick.

So Dumars was due a hefty amount of criticism.

When he's been financially constrained, Dumars has made horrible decisions. When he's been financially liberated, Dumars has made even worse decision. And it doesn't matter if he was motivated to spend before Karen Davidson came into town and turned off the money spigot or that Tom Gores mandated a playoff appearance and signings that would put butts in the seats. It's on Dumars to spend that money, and spend it wisely.

Just look at how Mike Illitch has mandated a lot of moves to his GM Dave Dombrowski. The only difference is that Dombrowski is able to target quality players and not turn any new salary obligations into instant albatrosses. There were myriad ways Dumars could have spent $78 million this past offseason and gotten much better return on his investment than he's received so far in Smith and Jennings. It was Dumars decision to meet Josh Smith at midnight at the dawn of free agency.

I don't begrudge Dumars being weary of criticism. I just hope he understands that Pistons fans are even wearier of their favorite team's mismanagement."

Great player, shitty GM.

Looks that way

I'm really tired of the "but he built the 2004 championship team" argument being used as a reason to keep Joe D around. That was a decade ago, the Pistons have won nothing since and have been awful for the last 6 years.

Joe's job should've hinged on the Billups-AI trade. It was a good trade in theory, get a large amount of cap space cleared out in order to re-tool the team. Instead it backfired when that money was wasted on Ben Gordon and Charlie V. Joe should've been fired when it was clear those two signings weren't working out...who knows, maybe he would've been fired earlier had it not been for the transition in ownership.

Failed coaches, failed free agents, failed draft picks, failing records....how much failing does one GM have to do in order to get fired?

Great Player..

Decent GM for a time.. Can't discount the 2004 Championship and the six year run to conference title games and a runner up finish...

But oh it should have been more...It I time for him to go..

Last edited:
He may have been hamstrung by ownership but his recent free agent signings and other decisions since 2008 have been TERRIBLE! CV and Gordon were two of the worst free agent signings by any team within the past 10 years. Then to make matters worse he trades Gordon for Magette while giving up a 2014 draft pick. To me this made no sense because the Pistons never used their amnesty provision. Why not just amnesty Gordon and keep the first round pick? He should have been fired 3 years ago!

he should have been gone the second he turned in a card that read darko milicic. Dumars fucking sucked as GM.

he should have been gone the second he turned in a card that read darko milicic. Dumars fucking sucked as GM.

That is the ONLY bad decision I have a problem with people bagging excessively on him for. The vast majority of fans and analysts thought it was a good pick because he was projected to be the next Dirk, but with a nasty streak.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve criticism for the pick because in the end it was obviously the wrong call. But a lot of people (maybe not you specifically) are huge hypocrites and are kings of hindsight when it comes to the Darko pick.

I thought he was fucking crazy for not taking Carmelo. But I will say if they draft Carmelo they might never had picked up Sheed and won a championship.

Back