Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

are the newer Playstations & xboxes that bad

Michchamp

the last system I owned was the PS2.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 recently, but I was reading that starting with the PS3, you pretty much had to be "online" all the time, downloading software updates, ads, Sony marketing, and other advertising, and sharing data with Sony. Long gone are the days, when you can just flip on the TV and start playing... now you have to sit through 10 minutes or more of crap before you're ready to boot up. Is that true?

I have pretty shitty internet and the longest downloads I have on PS3 are about 2-4 minutes.

the last system I owned was the PS2.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 recently, but I was reading that starting with the PS3, you pretty much had to be "online" all the time, downloading software updates, ads, Sony marketing, and other advertising, and sharing data with Sony. Long gone are the days, when you can just flip on the TV and start playing... now you have to sit through 10 minutes or more of crap before you're ready to boot up. Is that true?

PS3 is good and I never go online. I prefer offline games. There are only a few games out there that require you to be online, so I wouldn't worry about it. And no, none of that is true.

PS3 isn't too annoying. Updates take a minute or two and don't happen that often. Some games try to log in every time you play, so if you don't set it up to log in automatically, you might have to cancel out of the log in every time, but it still works. You don't have to log in or be online.

Don't know about the PS4 or new xbox. I'll keep waiting for things to unfold before making the jump. It probably will boil down to the one I think my wife will have an easier time using to navigate netflix and such.

PS3 isn't too annoying. Updates take a minute or two and don't happen that often. Some games try to log in every time you play, so if you don't set it up to log in automatically, you might have to cancel out of the log in every time, but it still works. You don't have to log in or be online.

Don't know about the PS4 or new xbox. I'll keep waiting for things to unfold before making the jump. It probably will boil down to the one I think my wife will have an easier time using to navigate netflix and such.

yeah i'm waiting on ps4 and xbox one until there are more, better games available. I'll probably buy both, but there are still so many good games on ps3 and 360 to play.

yeah i'm waiting on ps4 and xbox one until there are more, better games available. I'll probably buy both, but there are still so many good games on ps3 and 360 to play.

Also might want to see how they handle virtual reality stuff. Sounds like PS4 will be 1st with Project Morpheus.

PS3 was fine, had no problems. I loved the PS4, the only annoyance for me was playing NBA2K. If the internet was down I couldn't play certain aspects. As far as games, weak. But 2014 there are many games that interest me..

You don't need to be online all the time to use either system but online play makes games a lot more fun. As far as the updates they are annoying but necessary, I have both PS3 and 360 and the PS3 takes a lot longer to update than the 360. You don't always have to update but you can run into problems with new games trying to run on an outdated system. Monster you mentioned that you never go online this might be the problem you are having with your PS3 trying to run a new game on an outdated system, most games put the updates on the game so you have to update before you can play but then again sometimes they don't. There was talk before the launch that the X1 would need to be online all the time but that was for digital downloads and they axed that before launch. Don't let the occasional updates deter you from buying a system.

Monster you mentioned that you never go online this might be the problem you are having with your PS3 trying to run a new game on an outdated system, most games put the updates on the game so you have to update before you can play but then again sometimes they don't.

If that's the issue, there is a way to update via thumbdrive I think.

If that's the issue, there is a way to update via thumbdrive I think.

Probably but it would be easier just to hook it up to the internet and let it do its thing. If he has had it for 3+ years and never updated that means he hasn't had the patch that was put in place after the play station network was hacked.

You don't need to be online all the time to use either system but online play makes games a lot more fun. As far as the updates they are annoying but necessary, I have both PS3 and 360 and the PS3 takes a lot longer to update than the 360. You don't always have to update but you can run into problems with new games trying to run on an outdated system. Monster you mentioned that you never go online this might be the problem you are having with your PS3 trying to run a new game on an outdated system, most games put the updates on the game so you have to update before you can play but then again sometimes they don't. There was talk before the launch that the X1 would need to be online all the time but that was for digital downloads and they axed that before launch. Don't let the occasional updates deter you from buying a system.

I do update...I just don't play online. As of last month, I'm fully updated.

Back