Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Re-watched Top Gun yesterday

Michchamp

Picked a couple movies from the category "good but dumb American movies I thought my wife should see because everyone else has"

We did Ghostbusters, Animal House, and Top Gun last night. Still to come: Caddyshack and Major League (I actually haven't see either of those start to finish myself).

I hadn't watched Top Gun since the 80's. God it was awful. The script reads like it was written by an 13-year-old internet tough guy, and the acting... oh... the acting.

After seeing Team America, you can't watch dumb patriotic movies the same way ever again, I guess.

But in the end, I know it got a lot of idiots to enlist, and probably paid for itself in terms of increased defense appropriations... so it served its purpose. Can't really fault it for that.

people really seem to like this archer show. I will have to watch it sometime.

A couple of those movies, Animal House and Caddyshack are usually you love it or hate it. No middle ground.

I remember seeing something with actual Navy carrier pilots talking about Top Gun once and saying that it was sort of a slap in the face how they depicted events and the Top Gun training at Miramar where they had all this time to go drinking at the bar, play volleyball, and ride a motorcycle on the flight line.

Apparently they weren't really fans.

I remember seeing something with actual Navy carrier pilots talking about Top Gun once and saying that it was sort of a slap in the face how they depicted events and the Top Gun training at Miramar where they had all this time to go drinking at the bar, play volleyball, and ride a motorcycle on the flight line.

Apparently they weren't really fans.

idiots. they don't realize the movie wasn't made for them.

was made to get bubba to go enlist, and Bubba's state rep to authorize additional defense appropriations/spending in the House. it would've succeeded in both goals, but the USSR collapsed, and them communists in the U.S. government started cutting back on defense spending.

I think they were upset because it made them seem like a bunch of frat kids, drinking and chasing pussy all the time, then when they felt like it strapping on a $60 million aircraft and showing off.

idiots. they don't realize the movie wasn't made for them.

was made to get bubba to go enlist, and Bubba's state rep to authorize additional defense appropriations/spending in the House. it would've succeeded in both goals, but the USSR collapsed, and them communists in the U.S. government started cutting back on defense spending.

It wasn't becAuse of bubba it was made to make a shit load of money.

Go down to the Gaslamp District in SD some weekend night and you will see first hand how frat boy Navy guys get when out on the town.

And who hates Caddyshack?!

Blasphemy!!!!

Last edited:
Go down to the Gaslamp District in SD some weekend night and you will see first hand how frat boy Navy guys get when out on the town.

And who hates Caddyshack?!

Blasphemy!!!!

I didn't say I/we hated it. I just lump it in with the "low brow American movies that are actually good" category. It looks like Top Gun will be dropped from the latter qualification on account of how gad-awful the dialogue is... now it's just a "low brow american movie"

Someone said its a hate or love movie. I have never heard one person say they hate caddyshack.

People quoting (misquoting) lines all the time gets annoying but the movie is an all time classic. I'd say the same for Animal House but if you never went to college, maybe it's not as funny (suppose non-golfers might not get some of Caddyshack but it's not really a golf movie)

Someone said its a hate or love movie. I have never heard one person say they hate caddyshack.

People quoting (misquoting) lines all the time gets annoying but the movie is an all time classic. I'd say the same for Animal House but if you never went to college, maybe it's not as funny (suppose non-golfers might not get some of Caddyshack but it's not really a golf movie)

My sister, my mom - if I had to bet most female probably do hate it. Caddyshack, and especially Animal House are guy movies..Regardless, they're both classics. Now Caddyshack II, that's a different story.

I thought Animal House was dumb funny when it first came out. I didn't hate Caddyshack but I didn't like it all that much either.

Top Gun is a canned script action film with stock characters, for the most part. Melanie Griffith and the other chick were pretty hot; I guess the action cinematography was pretty good.

Ghost Busters was pretty funny - the ridiculous premise was pretty funny too. Some good performances turned in by some pretty good actors.

I thought Animal House was dumb funny when it first came out. I didn't hate Caddyshack but I didn't like it all that much either.

Top Gun is a canned script action film with stock characters, for the most part. Melanie Griffith and the other chick were pretty hot; I guess the action cinematography was pretty good.

Ghost Busters was pretty funny - the ridiculous premise was pretty funny too. Some good performances turned in by some pretty good actors.

melanie griffith wasn't in Top Gun. Meg Ryan doing a rural midwestern hick accent played Goose's wife, and Kelly McGillis played Maverick's love interest. And she later became a lesbo.

melanie griffith wasn't in Top Gun. Meg Ryan doing a rural midwestern hick accent played Goose's wife, and Kelly McGillis played Maverick's love interest. And she later became a lesbo.

Meg Ryan? I always get those two mixed up, for some reason.

I always get Mary Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins mixed up too.

So when I first saw them together on Weeds I thought to myself "Wait - what? I don't remember getting stoned."

I saw Top Gun in theater with a buddy...the volleyball scene made me uncomfortable.

Comedies have a shelf life, there are so many pop culture reference that are dated in caddyshack, animal house, etc. Kids today won't get it.

Comedies have a shelf life, there are so many pop culture reference that are dated in caddyshack, animal house, etc. Kids today won't get it.

Nah, funny is funny period. I can still laugh my ass off at Marx Brothers movies, and 3 Stooges.

30 years from now people will still be laughing about Dumb and Dumber, Airplane!, and Blazing Saddles.

I agree with Thumb. Even look at the Looney Tunes we watched as kids - Bugs and Daffy made a ton of POP culture references that were lost on me as a kid but were still there.

James Cagney ...Bing Crosby, wtc

Back